Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Plusminus, is it good business to express ones political views so strongly? I can imagine boycotting a business in such a situation

'He who has many enemies has many friends' might apply :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

philg wrote:
Anyone else just received the Wetherspoons propaganda magazine (the whole cover is a big enti eu rant)? I wish to identify their nearest hostellerie so I can go and burn it (safely) on the counter.

Ah book burning, they really knew how to party in days gone by.

:lol: good pint.

(Pint is a typo but it will do)

I guess I was expressing my deep irritation at having this land on my mat-I get all the usual offers etc from local supermarkets but they don’t usually come with ten pages of political stuff. It also killed for me the argument that I think has been made elsewhere on this thread and that I was accepting of that the politics isn’t mixed with the business-well, clearly it is so I think my money will be better used elsewhere.

My husband who is a publican and could do a much better job of commenting on w’s business structure and food quality than me got four of these magazines at the pub- he was more restrained in his commentary than me as he gets to hear various interesting views on the other side of the bar is the more traditional approach where the punters rant at the landlord rather than vice versa - and is used to holding his tongue.
irc

Post by irc »

A bit of googling suggests I will be eating my evening meal at a Wetherspoons for the first 9 days of my LeJog next year. In the spirit of this thread I will post pics and comments on my LeJog posts. Just need to research how to post pics from an android phone as I'm not taking my netbook.

Testing .....

20181213_221133.jpg
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My closest town is without a Wetherspoon. Am I fortunate or deprived?
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote:Quick check mick seems to show two in plymouth. Which one?
Very brave leaving any bike unlocked outside any establishment, let alone a moulton.
I sense the beer was rather good.
Did you have a third?
Yes, I did!

Union Rooms Plymouth.
Big glass windows floor to ceiling affords a good view of Moulton leaning against them outside the back in the garden.
I sat at a table right next to it and within spitting distance of the floor to ceiling glass doors.

Rarely lock a bike up as I always place them in full plain view.
Mick F. Cornwall
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The Herbert Wells in Woking has bike racks right outside the windows, and because of the availability of the ‘table service’ you don’t have to leave any kit unattended whilst you go and order. It was right at my turn around point on my 100 miler that I did yesterday as well, which was a bonus.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes.
Download the app and order your stuff. You don't have to leave your bike alone at all.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/wetherspoon-app
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

From the website:

Fantastic new features include the ability to tick off pubs you have visited, view a pub’s menu before your visit and check out our hotels before a stay.

The new stamp collecting/Train spotting?
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:From the website:

Fantastic new features include the ability to tick off pubs you have visited, view a pub’s menu before your visit and check out our hotels before a stay.

The new stamp collecting/Train spotting?

Fan-tastic :wink:
Tick off pubs one visits, I bet spoons collects that info too
I only visited a Spoons once, to use the toilet
Plus One for trainspotting and YH-collecting!
I really think it is bad business to express ones political views so strongly, anyone disagree?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The one complaint I have regarding Wetherspoon establishments, is that the bar service (in our experience) is terrible.
You stand at a massively long bar wanting a round of drinks and you have to wait your turn with groups of people prevaricating about food orders. A man could die of thirst waiting for just for a drink.

The Queens Hotel in Tavistock is worse than most. I called in and bought a pint. Went back to the bar and waited a full ten minutes for the second, so gave up and left, crossed the road and went into the Cornish Arms.
https://www.thecornisharmstavistock.co.uk
Apart from having WONDERFUL food, you get served almost immediately.

Therefore, after my experience at Tavistock, and also having difficulties getting served in Union Rooms Plymouth, I downloaded the app. Find a table, check out the drinks and snacks, order and pay by card, and the staff come to you. They come to you! .........................odds on far faster than if you'd been to the bar. When I was in there last - by myself - I ordered two pints and a packet of peanuts. I was happy to go to the bar for the third pint and wait.
Mick F. Cornwall
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Plusminus, is it good business to express ones political views so strongly? I can imagine boycotting a business in such a situation

Certainly works for me. I specifically avoid Wetherspoon's pubs to avoid contributing to the gammony idiot owner's coffers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Eton Rifle wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Plusminus, is it good business to express ones political views so strongly? I can imagine boycotting a business in such a situation

Certainly works for me. I specifically avoid Wetherspoon's pubs to avoid contributing to the gammony idiot owner's coffers.

Where do you go instead? Are there other businesspeople who have and express political views? Mind, many of them are cbi members :?
irc

Post by irc »

Mick F wrote: I downloaded the app. Find a table, check out the drinks and snacks, order and pay by card, and the staff come to you. They come to you! .........................odds on far faster than if you'd been to the bar. When I was in there last - by myself - I ordered two pints and a packet of peanuts. I was happy to go to the bar for the third pint and wait.

Amateur error! :-)

With the app you can order the next pint once the first is halfway down. Avoid that awkward pintless gap!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

irc wrote:
Mick F wrote: I downloaded the app. Find a table, check out the drinks and snacks, order and pay by card, and the staff come to you. They come to you! .........................odds on far faster than if you'd been to the bar. When I was in there last - by myself - I ordered two pints and a packet of peanuts. I was happy to go to the bar for the third pint and wait.

With the app you can order the next pint once the first is halfway down. Avoid that awkward pintless gap!

No need, spoons is the new fastbook and knows how farce you drink :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

irc wrote:

In order to order a single pint at maybe £2.60, it needs yet another debit entry in our current account. Hardly worth the accounting.

Far better to use a card for more money than a couple of quid. I don't know about other people, but I keep a record of our bank accounts and reconcile the bank statements when they arrive. Over the years, I've found many errors in our favour when the bank statements were wrong.
Mick F. Cornwall