Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jb

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by jb »

My mate rates Wetherspoons but I haven't visited enough to form an opinion. I did however come out of one in Rotherham once to be greeted by a gentleman who requested if I had the time about me, obviously a prelude to a further request. Pointing out the irony of the fact that just behind me was one of the biggest town centre clocks in Yorkshire was somewhat lost on him.
Can't say I be over happy about leaving a bike there.
Cheers
J Bro
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jb wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 12:03pm My mate rates Wetherspoons but I haven't visited enough to form an opinion. I did however come out of one in Rotherham once to be greeted by a gentleman who requested if I had the time about me, obviously a prelude to a further request. Pointing out the irony of the fact that just behind me was one of the biggest town centre clocks in Yorkshire was somewhat lost on him.
That calls for some more pics i think to reassure you.
Certain lack of real-world logic in your fear I fear.
Any views on leaving a bike outside london's Ritz?
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:59pm Certain lack of real-world logic in your fear I fear.
Not brill, but I'd be happier leaving a bike in the Ritz than in the poo-pub.

I've not actually left a bike in the Ritz but I think I've left a folding bike in the cloakroom of The Clermont Charing Cross which isn't far away.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jb

Post by jb »

Sweep wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:59pm
jb wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 12:03pm My mate rates Wetherspoons but I haven't visited enough to form an opinion. I did however come out of one in Rotherham once to be greeted by a gentleman who requested if I had the time about me, obviously a prelude to a further request. Pointing out the irony of the fact that just behind me was one of the biggest town centre clocks in Yorkshire was somewhat lost on him.
Oh I've left my bike outside of some London pubs, touring luggage is a good deterrent I think - too many sweaty underpants to rummage through. But I don't go there often I hate these provincial little towns - so full of themselves.
Rotherham's nice.
Cheers
J Bro
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Now that Wetherspoons have their App, there’s no need to go inside to order beer, drinks or food, so no need to leave your bike. You order and pay at your table and everything is brought out to you. We regularly visit at our local Spoons after our evening chain gang and do just this. The bikes never leave our sight.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

TrevA wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 1:59pm Now that Wetherspoons have their App, there’s no need to go inside to order beer, drinks or food, so no need to leave your bike. You order and pay at your table and everything is brought out to you. We regularly visit at our local Spoons after our evening chain gang and do just this. The bikes never leave our sight.
Very true - one of my bikes outside Winsford spoons - bike pretty much at table- the fine beer and the passable curry (salt in probably saved me from my regular post-long-loaded-ride cramps) were ordered from the tablet you can see on the table.
winsford-1.jpg
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 4:25pm
Sweep wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:59pm Certain lack of real-world logic in your fear I fear.
Not brill, but I'd be happier leaving a bike in the Ritz than in the poo-pub.

I've not actually left a bike in the Ritz but I think I've left a folding bike in the cloakroom of The Clermont Charing Cross which isn't far away.
"poo-pub"?
are we in kindergarten?

Don't know if you've ever been to the Ritz - I have several times - but I'd be amazed if you could take a full-sized bike in - unless maybe you were an oligarch they were grovelling to.

Just for you a pic of a bike in a spoons - they batted not an eyelid though it was pretty clean and just inside the door - I could have sat outside but it was early (not long after eight) and I fancied chilling a bit more - nice pic also of a fine local pint of Monkey Wrench - had to have this alone for breakfast as the kitchen opening was delayed due to covid-related staff shortages. But no matter - it powered me on an 80 mile ride which took in an ascent of Greenhow Hill.
yorkpub-1.jpg
Pub is in York- The Postern Gate. Fine pub in a nice spot.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jb wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 6:27pm
Sweep wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:59pm
Oh I've left my bike outside of some London pubs, touring luggage is a good deterrent I think - too many sweaty underpants to rummage through. But I don't go there often I hate these provincial little towns - so full of themselves.
Rotherham's nice.
well then if you've left your bike outside some london pubs you can doubtless overcome your wariness of leaving one outside a spoons wherever. London does of course have several/many spoons - some listed buildings.

Pic of a bike outside a spoons for you - they are quite often good for this as some of their pubs are modern, or have modern extensions, with lots of glass. I used to lead lots of rides for a london cycling group and we would sometimes cross the Downs to Oxted where we could see our bikes locked through the extensive glass.
bramley.jpg

The Old Unicorn, Bramley, Leeds - swung by on a long ride for a pint of, er, Monkey Wrench, the app had told me was going.

I was sat inside.

As I was leaving, staggering under assorted bike gubbins a nice member of staff unprompted offered to fill my water bottle.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 5:36pm "poo-pub"?
are we in kindergarten?
It's a reference to viewtopic.php?p=1646183#p1646183
Just for you a pic of a bike in a spoons - they batted not an eyelid though it was pretty clean and just inside the door [...] Pub is in York- The Postern Gate. Fine pub in a nice spot.
Probably not the most objectionable thing to get taken in one. I can see on Streetview why you need to take your bike in there: there's no bike parking or signs to it outside, just a nice big car drop-off/pick-up layby. The usual car-friendly spoons.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 6:02pm
Sweep wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 5:36pm "poo-pub"?
are we in kindergarten?
It's a reference to viewtopic.php?p=1646183#p1646183
Just for you a pic of a bike in a spoons - they batted not an eyelid though it was pretty clean and just inside the door [...] Pub is in York- The Postern Gate. Fine pub in a nice spot.
Probably not the most objectionable thing to get taken in one. I can see on Streetview why you need to take your bike in there: there's no bike parking or signs to it outside, just a nice big car drop-off/pick-up layby. The usual car-friendly spoons.
I could have sat right outside in extensive seating with my bike and ordered on the app as above.
As I have said at least once upthread, my definition of "friendly" is easygoing/accommodating - as they have many times proved to me.
Much preferable to box ticking.
Kind of similar in a way to Northern Rail.
Many many pubs wouldn't have let me take that bike inside.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If I were a non-cyclist visiting a pub, whether or not a Wetherspoons, I would probably not want to see half a dozen bikes in the bar.

Why can’t pubs have bike racks?
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 16 Oct 2021, 8:41am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oldjohnw wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 7:42am If I were a non-cyclist visiting a pub, whether or a Wetherspoons, I would probably not want to see half a dozen bikes in the bar.

Why can’t pubs have bike racks?
Fair point oldjohn - yep it couldn't become a general thing - you couldn't have lots in there and muddy MTBs would definitely I think cause issues- a line would have to be drawn - again I liken it to Northern's policy - 2 bikes on the trains but they will try to accommodate.

I only really known one spoons with proper bike racks (sheffield or the like) actually on their premises - I keep meaning to send them another mail about this.

I started the thread to highlight ones which are handy/accommodating for cyclists, laden or otherwise - hence I exclude a fair few which though wonderful pubs aren't very practical for cyclists.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tomorrow morning, our Yaris is in for a service in Snows Toyota at Plympton. Booked in for 08:30.
I'll be driving there with Moulton in the back, and then after dropping the car off with them, I'll take a leisurely ride into Plymouth for Breakfast at Tiffany's .................... sorry, Breakfast at Wetherspoons! :wink:

I'll have one of their Small Breakfasts and some toast, and take my time over it with cups of tea, then cycle a different route back to Snows.

https://snowsplymouth.toyota.co.uk/?utm ... mpaign=GMB

https://breakfasthours.co.uk/wetherspoo ... enu_Prices
Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mick, enjoy.

Wetherspoons in central Corby has courtyard and outside area for bike parking. Visible from inside. Good for cycling breakfast, etc.

Edit, pub's name is the Saxon Crown. Recommended.
Last edited by simonhill on 26 Jul 2022, 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Round here (Bristol) you mention the word 'Spoons and most folk are soon talking about their brekkers, over and above their beers. Mind you, for some reason that nobody's managed to explain, we're spoilt rotten for beer, with over 30 small breweries within the city limits alone! Lastest is Wiper & True's new place pictured here, in a light industrial unit, sandwiched in between a Royal Mail sorting office and the back of Eastville's leisure centre - no trouble keeping your eye on the bikes there! Not exactly your traditional locale for a public house... and quite a contrast with the Spoons vibe.
W&T on a sunny day
W&T on a sunny day
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)