Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Sweep »

I am a bit of fan of spoons for all sorts of reasons.

And find them particularly useful when touring round the UK for:

Great beer - often local to the particular pub
Very good breakfasts - very welcome to build you up for a long day's ride or after having bivvied somewhere when you are not inclined to make breakfast on rising
Often ready access to power charging points which they are easy going about you using
General easy going nature - non judgemental of an odd looking cycle tourist.

Do folk have any favourites/reccommendations, particularly cycle friendly ones?

I don't mean that any are UNfriendly, just that certain features are useful - notably a garden/yard/outside area that you can easily get the bike into and parked up without having to go through the pub.

Will be off to Norfolk and Suffolk soon where they seem to have a few and I note with pleasure that they have very recently opened a new one in Downham Market, the Whalebone, which seems to have a nice garden. Don't know if there is open/back access to that though.

Also useful of course are ones where you can sit inside with a clear view of a parked bike. Or which have adjacent Sheffield stands/proper bike racks.

If folk are forthcoming, the thread takes off I may chuck a few suggestions/likes of my own in.
Last edited by Sweep on 13 Jun 2018, 12:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
pwa

Re: Cycle friendly spoons

Post by pwa »

Spoons?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

pwa wrote:Spoons?

Whether or not :P
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Sweep wrote:I am a bit of fan of spoons for all sorts of reasons.

Great beer - often local to the particular pub
Very good breakfasts - very welcome to build you up for a long day's ride or after having bivvied somewhere when you are not inclined to make breakfast on rising
Often ready access to power charging points which they are easy going about you using
General easy going nature - non judgemental of an odd looking cycle tourist.

Sorry, lost on me. How does a spoon help with beer, and I've never seen a spoon needing a charging point - what USB??

Confused!!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Got it i think - depends on the weather. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bez

Post by Bez »

Has your phone's autocorrect feature forked up your post?
Bez

Post by Bez »

Oh, 'Spoons.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Wetherspoons.

Sorry, thought it was well known
Last edited by Sweep on 13 Jun 2018, 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Wetherspoons.

Sorry, thought it was well known.

will amend the title to avoid the twitter twatter.
Last edited by Sweep on 13 Jun 2018, 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sweep wrote:

Wetherspoons.

Sorry, thought it was well known

Ah, penny drops.
mjr

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Will be off to Norfolk and Suffolk soon where they seem to have a few and I note with pleasure that they have very recently opened a new one in Downham Market, the Whalebone, which seems to have a nice garden. Don't know if there is open/back access to that though.

The Clock Cafe in Downham Market is within sight of the Town Square cycle park (outside the bank to the south of the clock) and serves great food typical of mediterranean-run cafes. The baker's cafe next to the train station is also good, but you can't see the station cycle park from it and it's not open Sundays. If you want beer, http://blackstoneatdenver.uk/ on Route 11 just south of Downham at Denver afternoons/evenings Wed-Sun is good by all accounts - and I would expect so, as it's run by the legendary landlord of the Railway Arms (until the railway killed it). In the morning, Denver golf club cafe is good too and we've always been welcome to take our bikes right into the seating area, similar to how we can at Sandringham Visitor Centre.

If folk are forthcoming, the thread takes off I may chuck a few suggestions/likes of my own in.

If you'd like more suggestions of proper Norfolk pubs or cafes rather than dull dull chains, let me know where you're heading and I'll tell you what I think are the current cycling haunts.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

On topic replies please.

I am well aware of some folks' objections to them for all sorts of reasons, some of them not very creditable.

Am interested in beer, pubs, charging, relaxing etc.

as in the original post.

and I stress not just in Norfolk or Suffolk. Though impressions of/first hand experiences of any of those welcome as a companion to my own forthcoming researches.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:On topic replies please.

Pointing out that paying Wetherspoons is basically paying for anti-cycling politics seems on topic to me, as does suggesting cycle-friendly competitors of particular Wetherspoons branches.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Disregarding the politics, the Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury is good.
Access to the rear garden is via the car park down the lane adjacent.
Blacksheep uses it as an audax finish control (subject to event length).
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

mjr wrote:...Wetherspoons is basically paying for anti-cycling politics ....

If you are going to accuse them surely you should give details of alternate news sources of this (ie other than you :) ).
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)