Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote:My one "not quite bike friendly" experience was when staying overnight at Royal Hop Pole (Tewkesbury).

It was a decent room/experience for the price, but I did have to lock the bike up at the rear of the building, accessible to punters-n-public.

(Fortunately I'd ridden quite a long way to get there, and had more than 1 beer downstairs, so I managed to get to sleep despite the bike-anxiety!)

Thanks for the post.

Must admit I've never slept in a spoons.

Have done it but yes I would feel uneasy having a bike out in public overnight.

Did you ask them about alternative arrangements for the bike mattheus?
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Sweep wrote:Did you ask them about alternative arrangements for the bike mattheus?

You bet I did!!!

Of course, these things often come down to asking the right person, but that's pot luck generally.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote:
Sweep wrote:Did you ask them about alternative arrangements for the bike mattheus?

You bet I did!!!

Of course, these things often come down to asking the right person, but that's pot luck generally.

Cycle-friendly chains set cycle policies so you know where you stand. Wetherspoons does not.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Worth pointing out that that instance relates to a hotel, hence overnight storage, not a pub.

May be worth someone mailing them.

I may if I have a mo.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

I don't think anyone else thought mattheus was sleeping in the bar!

My comments were about cycle friendly hotel chains having good policies so you don't have to ask every flipping time (or at least you know you have to ask on booking - eg Best Western).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote:I don't think anyone else thought mattheus was sleeping in the bar!

My comments were about cycle friendly hotel chains having good policies so you don't have to ask every flipping time (or at least you know you have to ask on booking - eg Best Western).

I think it is worth pointing out that this is a thread about pubs.

As a pub I had the idea that all was fine.

Which is not to criticise mattheus's post.

chill - cheers.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote:I don't think anyone else thought mattheus was sleeping in the bar!

I've certainly been accused of worse crimes (sometimes with justification).

I apologise for creating any confusion! ;)
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote:I apologise for creating any confusion! ;)

No need - the confusion was caused by the topic title not making clear that it's only about the pubs, not the rest of the chain.

Although I think there was a defence of their magazine many pages ago...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

For clarity:

Royal Hop Pole IS a pub. it was reviewed earlier in the thread.

They also happen to have some rooms. (Maybe that makes them a hotel! But I'd argue that you could drink there several times without realising they also had rooms.)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes all the hotels are pubs I think matteus. Great - for hotels often have dire beer, even if "higher class".
The key difference is of course concern about a bike - somewhat different factors come into play with a hotel and pub you are just stopping at in the middle of a day's tour. I too would be nervous about leaving a bike outside overnight in the street even if fastened to a sheffield stand. There is a pub upthread with such stands but I'd still be nervous overnight.

One advantage of the pubs that are also hotels is that some open earlier even for the passing cycle tourist. If feeling particularly sinful on tour I think some may even start serving beer an hour earlier. :)
Some of the night cycling fraternity are rather fond of spoons I think.
Sweep
dim

Post by dim »

never park your bike outside or near Wetherspoons in Cambridge in the evening (the one in St Andrew's St) .... you will get your wheels kicked in

I cycle past there every morning at approx 05h15 and every day, most of the bikes locked up near Wetherspoons are damaged and trashed with buckled wheels
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Queens Arms Winsford
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... s-winsford

IMG_20190605_173927223.jpg

Cycling loaded to a fixed time train from crewe to london had spare time so diverted.

Plenty of free access space out front - plonked bike in slightly sunken area and double locked bike to table fastened to ground.

Pic taken from table inside pub. Lots of clear views from inside for it's one of their modern ones.

Fed myself but - rather unusually for a spoons - disappointing beer selection.

Wifi works outside so I could have sat outside - tables numbered for food or app beer fans - outside tables aren't always numbered.
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Bodmin: Chapel an Gansblydhen, former Methodist Chapel with steps in front but there's side ramp which you can push your bike up, it's quite steep. Tables and seating out front.
Just over 2 kms from the intersection on the Camel Trail that goes West towards Padstow or North towards Camelford.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... hen-bodmin

Exeter: The Imperial, really large garden with no smoking area (try telling the smoke that) which is really nice in good weather. If the weather is poor you can leave you bike in the garden and sit in the Orangry, as pictured in the link. Bottom area looks out and has access directly into the garden.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... ial-exeter

BTW. Whilst in Exeter I was sitting in the quays area and Mr Wetherspoons walked past, supposedly he lives there.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Two on a ride south London to Hastings.

Bexhill

The Picture Playhouse.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... ill-on-sea

Asked a staff member outside about access to the rather nice looking garden I could see a pic of. He told me it was on the roof!

Wheeled the bike into the pub, no objections, found a lift at the back and put myself and the bike in it but it was having none of it - wouldn't move, though it was clearly working as it came down for me. Either me and my semi loaded bike was over the weight limit or the lift was more intelligent than I thought as I then saw a notice saying that electro scooters couldn't go in it.

Wheeled bike to front of pub and plonked it in a corner between the door and one of those curious high tables spoons uses. Sat inside to keep an eye on it but then moved outside, with bike still within sight. So curiously, my bike sat inside while I took the air. I kept the bike out of the way and no one challenged me.

After reaching Hastings I cycled back to Eastbourne for a fixed time train so time to kill.

So to the Cornfield Garage.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... eastbourne

Excellent rear planted yard but no rear access so again wheeled the bike straight through the pub without issue and locked it to a rail.

eastbournecropped.jpg

then sat inside.

The other spoons in eastbourne is opposite the station - not really bike handy - an ex bank building. No matter, Cornfield Garage excellent - be careful of leaving food or drinks unattended in the rear yard though - apparently Seagulls have a habit of grabbing them.

edit - those two of yours whoof look like quite something - on the list.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Two in Carlisle - both, somewhat notably within a crawl of each other - visited both within about a week thanks to a Northern rail offer which allowed me to go up and down the wonderful Settle Carlisle line twice for 40p for four trips.

The Woodrow Wilson

and

William Rufus.

Forgotten which is which but one is more "clubby" aimed at a younger crowd and the other more old school.

Clubby one - fine for bikes - wandered in with semi loaded tourer, large area in front of bar some sort of slatey stone material so no issue to wheel bike straight through to rear outside area, which like many spoons is locked on the outside - no rear entry. Locked bike to a table in semi view and sat inside. Good beer but limited selection.

On my return trip popped in to same, wheeled bike past bar to check out beers and as I did some kind member of staff went to the door to let me into the yard, so I felt a bit guilty when I then, politely left.

Down street to other one - beer selection excellent. No problems taking bike through pub to rear. Locked to table as before. On leaving discovered that this one has free access from a broadish alleyway at the rear - and this leads you straight to the station - no need to go through pub from main street. Carlisle station appears to have barrierless exit so would be handy if changing trains with some time to kill.
Sweep