Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Mick F »

Back to the OP question.
Sorry, late to the party here. :oops:

Cycle friendly 'spoons - my experiences.

Plymouth Union Rooms are good because you can get into the garden from the road and park your bike near the windows so you can see it. It's also possible to get it tight up against a table. No need to lock it, and in fact I rarely carry a lock.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.36941 ... 312!8i6656

We were down west in Penzance and called in at the 'spoons there. The Tremenheer. Nice garden at the back, but no way of getting into it unless you went through the bar. Asking VERY nicely, and I carried my bike right through.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.11864 ... 312!8i6656

Closer to home, we have the Queens Head Hotel in Tavistock. This isn't the best 'spoons I've ever visited so don't use it much. The place is sprawling and cavernous and the garden at the side isn't too good, though I have called in there and leant the bike up as near to the bar area as I could.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.54969 ... 312!8i6656

Best 'spoons I've found is Union Rooms at Plymouth. Absolutely perfect as a bike friendly 'spoons.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:Can you get a gpx from those though?
They are just online things aren't they?

Download link for up to date GPX file
It just downloads the file when you click the link.

(it may even be what Sweep's boffin did)
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

£1.99 a pint and usually 3+ to choose from.
That's here in Scotlandshire.

My fav bar in Aberdeen charges £4+. But does let me wheel my bike inside.
Nothing like downing a good pint and watching your bike prop up the end if the bar.

I don't both to even ask the Wetherspoons staff if I can bring my steed inside.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:
irc wrote:Just me or is it always Remainers who jump onto threads shouting about boycotting establishments based on the referendum. Not aware of any time a Brexit supporter suggested boycotting something because it was a Remainers place. Are they bad losers?

Huh? Where in this thread is a remainer doing that?

Anyway, it's not so much a boycott as its owner having told us not to use them:
Paulatic wrote:I distinctly recall Tim Martin telling remain voters not to cross his threshold. I wouldn’t like to upset him.

I stopped going in them before that, anyway.

The accusation is doubly ironic as Brexit supporter Tim Martin has just this week announced Wetherspoon's boycott of EU products! Bad winner?

Ironically it is nothing new, there are hundreds of campaigns to promote local or national British Produce over European or other Country's produce

Of course there are issues where most of the "British" products are simply packaged in Britain and passed off as British, but why are some campaigns acceptable, and others unacceptable
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:Of course there are issues where most of the "British" products are simply packaged in Britain and passed off as British, but why are some campaigns acceptable, and others unacceptable

But Wetherspoons is only buying British as a side-effect of refusing to buy from the EU. It's not a positive decision. Expect to see a lot of stuff from other countries when they can get it cheap.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cunobelin wrote:

Of course there are issues where most of the "British" products are simply packaged in Britain and passed off as British, but why are some campaigns acceptable, and others unacceptable

I see nothing wrong with promoting Good British produce for all the right reasons. Production values, food miles, supporting Britain.
In the case of Mr Martin his campaign is to shun EU produce on the grounds of a lie. Then to seemingly have a willingness to acquire produce from parts of the world with dubious practices. If and when his desired Brexit is complete I’d put money on he will be amongst the first to serve up chlorinated chicken from the USA and hormone treated beef from Australia. The price , I’ve heard, he does a steak for makes you wonder where it does come from.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:
Sweep wrote:Will leave you to enjoy a thread you find more conducive as despite your "crap pubs exclamation mark" jibe it is very clear to me that you have never actually been in that pub. As I understand it it has only just opened.

That's a misunderstanding: it has only just reopened but it was The White Hart from around 1800 until 2015, but the new owner insists recent history like the name must be obliterated in favour of legends from the 1700s - much as he wants for UK politics!

In Fareham we have two!

One is called the Lord Arthur Lee, after a local politician who had a distinguished political career with Ministerial and Diplomatic appointments. Most famously after WW1 he felt that the Prime Minister needed a quite and peaceful place to retreat or hold private meetings, so he donated his Country estate Chequers for this reason

All this is duly and educationally pointed out in posters around the pub.

What they don't seem to recognise though is that he was a strong advocate of the Temperance movement and abhorred the use of alcohol
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

B****t is bad but if it results in less stuff being transported back and forth it will have one very positive effect, +1!

I don't bother buying cherries from far away, I wait till I can gather them myself for free. Is there any reason the wild ones are so much smaller? :wink:

For a few weeks I eat lots of cherries, then lots of plums
Both are tasty, absolutely untreated, good energy value
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote:

yes (can't check at the mo) I think that's it.
I commend it to the house.
Sweep
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Sweep wrote:
andrew_s wrote:

yes (can't check at the mo) I think that's it.
I commend it to the house.

Which one Parliament tor Lords?
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Paulatic wrote:Then to seemingly have a willingness to acquire produce from parts of the world with dubious practices. If and when his desired Brexit is complete I’d put money on he will be amongst the first to serve up chlorinated chicken from the USA and hormone treated beef from Australia. The price , I’ve heard, he does a steak for makes you wonder where it does come from.

I dont think the price of a steak there is through dubious sourcing. I had a steak plus pint for £11.00. Considering you can now buy a sizeable British steak in Aldi for £2.99 the economies of scale at Spoons will mean it's much less than that price. Also apparently the reason their beer is cheap is they buy up just about to go out of date kegs in bulk, knowing they have sufficient outlets to sell it quickly. It's clever buying and marketing that makes their prices cheap.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Clever business optimisation

Are other places to stop when travelling available?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Then to seemingly have a willingness to acquire produce from parts of the world with dubious practices. If and when his desired Brexit is complete I’d put money on he will be amongst the first to serve up chlorinated chicken from the USA and hormone treated beef from Australia. The price , I’ve heard, he does a steak for makes you wonder where it does come from.

I dont think the price of a steak there is through dubious sourcing. I had a steak plus pint for £11.00. Considering you can now buy a sizeable British steak in Aldi for £2.99 the economies of scale at Spoons will mean it's much less than that price. Also apparently the reason their beer is cheap is they buy up just about to go out of date kegs in bulk, knowing they have sufficient outlets to sell it quickly. It's clever buying and marketing that makes their prices cheap.

I’d no idea what it cost just working on being told it was cheap.
You are right in your assumption on their purchasing power and at the price you quote it’s certainly not a loss leader for them is it?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote: The price , I’ve heard, he does a steak for makes you wonder where it does come from.

It may have changed in the last few months, but earlier in the year it was UK beef. You may recall the stories when the FSA shut down the processors in Birmingham over hygiene issues. It wasn't just 'spoons that were effected, schools, hospitals and some top line restaurants also had their supplies disrupted.
On purchasing power - you could call it optimising the market or bully boy tactics, I know two people involved with small breweries, one swears by them one at them, apparently selling short order date stock to them is about reducing losses rather than making profit.
awavey

Post by awavey »

Ben@Forest wrote:

thats urban myth, breweries dont change price on beer based on date,and they make sure they only brew enough to sell anyway, its purely Wetherspoons have around 1000 pubs and they can buy in bulk and dictacte a reasonable cost to suppliers & shift the stuff quick enough, most other large pub chains are run to make as much money for the pubco, so dictate the price to the pub which pushes the cost of the beer up.

most of Spoons profit comes from getting you to buy food, so their focus is on the amount of covers they can get through and pushing the margins on every cost base, like rent of the buildings they get.

or when they started breakfast, they noticed coffee shops were doing good breakfast business, so they thought theyd capture some of the market which they did, I think they are now the biggest breakfast supplier in the UK, and the vegan breakfast is very good, you actually get more than you get in the meat breakfast now.

but like all chains there are good examples, there are bad examples, I wouldnt ever eat or choose to drink in the Greenwich Wetherspoons, the Durham one had bouncers during the day, and the one in Edmonton London wont let you in even for breakfast if Spurs are playing at home in the afteroon without a match ticket.

original question though Suffolk/Norfolk, hmm there arent actually that many around, I wouldnt have said either the Great Yarmouth or Lowestoft ones were cycling friendly, actually werent very friendly at all based on the clientele, I remember drinking a half very quickly in both to escape, and nor is Sudbury or Newmarket really cycling friendly, as they are all kind of block buildings on high street style roads, no real gardens or bike parking nearby.

Bury St Edmunds is a nice Spoons, but its upstairs in an old corn exchange so you wont see your bike from inside. I think the one left in Ipswich has a garden and railings so possibly better to leave a bike, and I think it was Beccles I remember visiting during the Womens Tour passing through one year for a quick coffee was nice too but not sure where youd leave a bike. Stowmarket as was mentioned does have a big garden...full of artifical grass but hey better than nothing. Norwich has a 3 still, queen of iceni near the station, plenty of bike parking options, against railings and things around there, the Bell hotel near the castle/chapelfield I think there are cycle racks nearby, and the glass house does have a garden as well.

Diss could be nice if they ever got round to building it. and although not Norfolk or Suffolk, I know theyve opened one in Harwich recently, which you can use the foot/cycle ferry to get across, and Ive certainly felt it was safe enough to park my bike down at the harbour for an hour or two to visit a pub

dont think Ive been to any of the others :)