Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Sweep »

whoof wrote:BTW. Whilst in Exeter I was sitting in the quays area and Mr Wetherspoons walked past, supposedly he lives there.

I think i read somewhere that the exeter one is one of the conversions he is most pleased by.
By the by I was in fleetwood recently - spoons an old school or sunday school i seem to recall. Not great for bikes (access to outside area only through a wandering trip inside) but it has a plaque outside from the local civic society recording their thanks for the building having been saved/restored/repurposed.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I've cycled to Exeter - and back on a couple of rides - I've called in at Double Locks.
Also at Mill on the Exe not far from Exeter St David's Station when coming back home by train.

Both very cycle-friendly indeed.

http://www.doublelocks.com

http://millontheexe.com
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:When I've cycled to Exeter - and back on a couple of rides - I've called in at Double Locks.
Also at Mill on the Exe not far from Exeter St David's Station when coming back home by train.

Both very cycle-friendly indeed.

http://www.doublelocks.com

http://millontheexe.com

Continue down the path (6km) from the Double Locks and you will get to the Turf Locks. Not accessible by car only foot, bike or boat.
https://www.turfpub.net/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks!
I didn't know about that one.
Sounds like an outing come the spring. :D

Halfway between Exeter and Cockwood.
Nice pub at Cockwood ................... The Anchor Inn. That's cycle friendly I would think.

Mrs Mick F and me took the train Gunnislake/Plymouth/Starcross and walked to the Anchor Inn. Nice meal and a few beers, then walked back and train home. Good day out! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

The Poulton Elk, Poulton le Fylde.

Another visited thanks to Northern Rail's recent 10p ticket offer - used it for a dark ride over/round a big big hill, train trip, ride up the entire length of the prom Fleetwood to St Annes and then back to the Ribble Valley.

Nice pub, great pint from Reedley Hallows brewery which I must have ridden close to on my noctural ride.

Fastened bike to a table at the front so keen was I after all that for the big breakfast but on leaving (duh!) discovered that it has a completely free access rather nice seated area at the rear, including a bit where you can sit nicely protected from the areas's frequent rain.

So very handy - will be back I think.

Local info:

http://www.poulton-le-fylde-hcs.co.uk/page40.html
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:Thanks!
I didn't know about that one.
Sounds like an outing come the spring. :D

Halfway between Exeter and Cockwood.
Nice pub at Cockwood ................... The Anchor Inn. That's cycle friendly I would think.

Mrs Mick F and me took the train Gunnislake/Plymouth/Starcross and walked to the Anchor Inn. Nice meal and a few beers, then walked back and train home. Good day out! :D

I was down in Cornwall today visiting old pals, someone with a massive hosepipe was sprinkling everyone liberally so you headed in the right direction!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

whoof wrote:I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -eastleigh

This is the nearest ‘spoons, to where I live. There are some bike racks right outside, the front entrance, outside the NatWest bank, secure covered racks at the train station car park ( again right outside) and further rows of racks outside both flanks of the Sainsbury’s, by the main bus station, and lots by the shopping centre, just down the road ( the Swan Centre) and lots of racks outside the shops and cafes all the way down the main high street, just round the corner. The whole town is peppered with CCTV coverage, so I find there is really no need to bring your bike into the beer garden, but they don’t mind if you do. I’ve even sent an ‘advanced guard’ into the beer garden, without bike(s), then hoiked the bikes over the wall, to the waiting buddies, to save wheeling through the pub, just to see if it’s possible ( it is, with a bit of effort / co-ordination).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Looks like Tim has heeded mjr's love of his pubs. He has just announced a few new ones and 3 of the 4 English ones are all in East Anglia.

Ely, Diss and Felixstowe.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:Looks like Tim has heeded mjr's love of his pubs. He has just announced a few new ones and 3 of the 4 English ones are all in East Anglia.

yes I saw that - pretty substantial opening and enlargement/refurb programme announced after a quiet period of low numbers of openings and a fair few closures.

Appears that they intend to focus on small/medium sized towns which I think is good for wandering neer do wells like cycle tourers/campers.

Their refurbs/enlargements often involve bigger outdoor areas, sometimes gained by shrinking existing carparks, which I think is good.

Must also admit to checking out Diss - very handy.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
simonhill wrote:Looks like Tim has heeded mjr's love of his pubs. He has just announced a few new ones and 3 of the 4 English ones are all in East Anglia.

yes I saw that - pretty substantial opening and enlargement/refurb programme announced after a quiet period of low numbers of openings and a fair few closures.

Appears that they intend to focus on small/medium sized towns which I think is good for wandering neer do wells like cycle tourers/campers.

Their refurbs/enlargements often involve bigger outdoor areas, sometimes gained by shrinking existing carparks, which I think is good.

Must also admit to checking out Diss - very handy.

by the way Sweep do you work for Wetherspoons? :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

No mercalia as you well know.
Seem to remember that the last time we met it was in one of their establishments.
Tho you shamefully didn't arrive by bike.
Having a mischievous evening? That non issue was dealt with way upthread.
May be able to add one or two more in a while - am fussy.
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I didn't realise that some had been closed. How many?

I don't like to see any pub close, but the Guv'nor shouldn't have squandered £¾ mill on pro Brexit trivia.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

There's a surprisingly long list of closures here: https://wetherspoonappreciationsociety. ... osed-pubs/
The (unconfirmed, though generally reliable) word on the street in my locality is that, having closed their local branch a couple of years ago, allegedly in the face of unfeasible rent increases, 'Spoons have now purchased another large ex pub/restaurant property nearby with the intention of opening a pub with accommodation. This was something of a surprise to me but I understand they already operate around 55 pub/hotels.
Anybody stayed in one yet and how cycle-friendly are they likely to be for those using the accommodation? I'm imagining a whole flock of new Winged Wheels signs appearing around the country!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Stayed at the one in Bedford town centre, but not cycle friendly, or even car friendly. :shock:
Good job we drove to Bedford and parked the car with our daughter at the Three Cups.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.13614 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

philsknees wrote:There's a surprisingly long list of closures here: https://wetherspoonappreciationsociety. ... osed-pubs/
y!

Many of those closures are just part of an ongoing rationalisation/expansion prog tho. Somewhere on that impressively researched log will be one of theirs from my patch of london before i arrived. A smallish pub which was apparently a regular haunt of the bonzo dog doo dah band. They closed it but opened another round the corner in a massive listed art deco cinema.
Sweep