Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Sweep »

atoz wrote:[ Yes local pubs and cafes will pay poorly, and that's not great, but at least you are supporting a local business.

Well the staff are the same, ie local. The supplies at spoons are as British as most I assume, maybe more so due to Mr martin's position. As to where the profits go, have you asked the bosses of these local businesses how they arrange their taxes?

Lots of supposedly local pubs are of course part of chains.

Or controlled by breweries with ownership residing gawd knows where.

I reckon objections to spoons on these grounds are often (not saying you) very much a smokescreen for other attitudes, including one expressed in another place by one of the "contributors" that spoons customers micturate on the seats.

As has been said upthread it has always been a poorly paid sector.

And I very much doubt that some of the declared fans of these mediterranean (local?) or provencale caffs or whatever sidle up to the bosses and ask in perfect French or Italian how the staff are paid. Try that with some of the Italians I know and they would be answered with some choice expletives centred on their Brooks contact points.

In short I think the objections are often based on little more than snobbery or ignorance of who goes in them.

Rather "upscale" from spoons I have frequented many five star hotels in my time, from both sides. I well remember in my student days going for a summer job at the Ritz - they were interested as I had experience, such as it was. They asked how much I had been paid the summer before in a hotel and when I perhaps naively told them offered me a fiver less, I politely declined. A few years later I often went there to events, and in my non working escapades in town was want to wander through its hallowed lobby grazing on their nice nibbles before wandering out the other door.

In short, although I wish the spoons strikers and activists well, I find it hard to believe that they are worse than many many other places in the sector. Which would not attract the same righteous ire.

On the main topic, with the current mildish weather am planning another night ride soon so may be able to report on another one, if I can get my timing right.

Then next year may eventually be able to get over to mjr's patch to sample some interesting sounding ones that way.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

East Angular, as Jade once declared, has some nice pubs. The Weatherspoons at Great Yarmouth and Clacton, classy joints full of super intelligent Brexit voters. Blakeney and Southwold once excellent family holiday spots have become elite destinations devoid of proles and Spoons. No real hills only slopes, a region perfect for the geriatric cyclist.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What is the staff turnover at spoons? One could try applying, get an interview, ask about pay

Many such businesses pay the branch managers well but they have to work hard

Why do you love spoons so much, Sweep? You seem very willing to defend them :wink:

Just like I love railways for example?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:I reckon objections to spoons on these grounds are often (not saying you) very much a smokescreen for other attitudes, including one expressed in another place by one of the "contributors" that spoons customers micturate on the seats.

:roll: As explained in the other place, it was referring to the spilt drinks that used to make finding a non-sticky table (or carpet) there so difficult - but you've been there more recently than me, so you'd know if it's gone downhill! ;-)

Now, try turning this thread into a Brexit debate too and get my post deleted as off-topic...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Why do you love spoons so much, Sweep? You seem very willing to defend them :wink:

Just like I love railways for example?

Not sure what the wink is about bryn - been a bit of an outbreak of emoticons.

My reasons for appreciating them for my cycling travels were actually in my very first post in the thread and have been added to by many others in thread.

Started the thread for suggestions, jumped in to defend them when a few others hopped in to exorcise personal demons about brexit, social attitudes, supposed anti cycling bias, supposed spoons paying for posts in this thread.

On topic, more data on cycling friendly spoons welcome.

As I said, if I can get out of bed for a nightride next week - big loop from north north london tube to east east london tube via a place I recently learned was a key location for Pasolini's Canterbury Tales I may be able to add info on another promising looking one - if I manage to hit at somewhere like breakfast time without delaying myself.

Railways good - not noted though for hand-pulled beer, often cycling unfriendly, wifi often not available or dodgy/wonky/restricted, very often not locally owned or even Brit owned, power points often hard to find/non existent, not noted for availability of filling cheap food, coffee and hot drinks not as good on several counts, availability of service often poor and disappears with no notice, often ludicrously expensive, toilets often variable, not as sociable, several operators truly terrible industrial relations.

Back to the spoons list.
Sweep
iainb

Post by iainb »

al_yrpal wrote:The Weatherspoons at Great Yarmouth and Clacton, classy joints full of super intelligent Brexit voters

Nothing like a bit of stereotyping! Don't know when you were in there but I regularly drink at Wetherspoons in Clacton and can assure you that there is as diverse a range of folk in there as any other branch. Maybe you've been watching programmes about Jaywick on TV :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Texts to Mrs Mick F the other day after riding into Plymouth along Route 27 from Tavistock.

Wethespoon Plymouth.
23 miles done mainly on cycle tracks. Made a change but it was a bit muddy and a bit boring but at the same time it was a lovely change and an interesting route.
Weather here chilly and damp though it is brightening now. Sitting inside with an eye on Moulton but I may go outside for my second pint.

Sun gone in.
Having my second pint inside.

I had leant Moulton up against the window where I could see it clearly.
No issues at all even though it's a city centre boozer but highly recommended. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Quick check mick seems to show two in plymouth. Which one?

Very brave leaving any bike unlocked outside any establishment, let alone a moulton.

I sense the beer was rather good.

Did you have a third?
Sweep
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I find the one in Market Drayton very handy for club runs , area out the front you can sit in or park your bike in and see it from inside the pub. Planters on wheels . Paraplegic friend on electric handbike . We are able to move stuff around and get him in and sit with him, this is often not possible
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

iainb wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:The Weatherspoons at Great Yarmouth and Clacton, classy joints full of super intelligent Brexit voters

Nothing like a bit of stereotyping! Don't know when you were in there but I regularly drink at Wetherspoons in Clacton and can assure you that there is as diverse a range of folk in there as any other branch. Maybe you've been watching programmes about Jaywick on TV :lol:

I am and always will be an Essex boy

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Anyone else just received the Wetherspoons propaganda magazine (the whole cover is a big enti eu rant)? I wish to identify their nearest hostellerie so I can go and burn it (safely) on the counter.

It’s enough having to turn off the tv every time that idiot Martin is on without them imposing his nutty views through my post box.

I guess that confirms my stance on avoiding Wetherspoons and helping local (sane) business instead.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Fullers pubs have banned the song 'Last Christmas'
Does Spoons play music?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MrsHJ wrote:Anyone else just received the Wetherspoons propaganda magazine (the whole cover is a big enti eu rant)? I wish to identify their nearest hostellerie so I can go and burn it (safely) on the counter.

It’s enough having to turn off the tv every time that idiot Martin is on without them imposing his nutty views through my post box.

I guess that confirms my stance on avoiding Wetherspoons and helping local (sane) business instead.

Minus One, there are so many free PMs propaganda magazines
Too many are printed, at the end of the month lots are pulped
philg

Post by philg »

Anyone else just received the Wetherspoons propaganda magazine (the whole cover is a big enti eu rant)? I wish to identify their nearest hostellerie so I can go and burn it (safely) on the counter.

Ah book burning, they really knew how to party in days gone by.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
mjr

Post by mjr »

philg wrote:

Ah book burning, they really knew how to party in days gone by.

I suspect MrsHJ suggested it in reference to Tim Martin accusing Juncker and Tusk of being book-burners (but in a they're-not-actually-book-burners-but-they're-that-sort-of-people way) to prop up his lame Brexit arguments last year.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.