Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cinemas are queer buildings, often they would be hard to convert into anything else, especially those with sloping floors, or modern nested multiplexes

Maybe spoons could use some space for small cinemas in the pubs
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote:Interesting - sounds like the spoons may be one of the nice bits of the square left and that they may have saved it from being flattened and turned into something dull.
Yes, I suppose so.

This is Guildhall Square on Google Streetview.
At least the trees hide the hideous glass building.
The Guildhall is on the left - you can see the steps - and Wetherspoon's behind if you swing round.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.79706 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Mrs recognised it, she's a Pompey lass.. According to some, Tim is exploiting the lower classes. Cant see it myself?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
whoof

Post by whoof »

I went to the Posset Cup in Portishead on Saturday. It's on a main road but there's outside seating between it and Lidl.
https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... portishead

It's got to be new as this is the Streetview picture of the area.

ws.jpg
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

whoof wrote:I went to the Posset Cup in Portishead on Saturday. It's on a main road but there's outside seating between it and Lidl.

ws.jpg

If only touring I had your talent for willing mirage Spoons into empty spaces :)
Sweep
whoof

Post by whoof »

Sweep wrote:
whoof wrote:I went to the Posset Cup in Portishead on Saturday. It's on a main road but there's outside seating between it and Lidl.

ws.jpg

If only touring I had your talent for willing mirage Spoons into empty spaces :)

I hear that Brigadoon has a very nice Wetherspoons.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Somewhat unusual entry, since I confess I didn't look around much for cycling parking facilities when I approached the Robert Peel, Bury.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -peel-bury

On my ride Wolverhampton to the Ribble Valley

Would have had to unload the bike and I was also feeling a bit zonked if truth be told.

So I walked up to the front door, a kindly customer (can't remember, such was my state, if they were entering or leaving) opened it for me, then I wheeled the green goddess Ridgeback Expedition loaded with two panniers and two ortlieb bags across the rack through, and leant it against the inside of one of the outer doors.

No one batted an eye lid.

Relaxed next to the bike, ordered a rather nice manager''s special mixed grill (yes I know that means the "use by" date is imminent on the boxes) for £3.99 and had a taster or two from the rather impressive range of beers on offer (better than the beer-mediocre Art Picture House (see below) last time I was there without a bike. One caramel stout had apparently been recommended by the local Bury Camra, so who was I to argue. It was wonderful. So I had another.

Feet were aching a bit from the great but rather tight Polaris cycling shoes (odd sizing) so I took to wandering to the bar in my socks.

Not something I would contemplate in the Ritz or Dorchester when I used to frequent such places.

But no one minded.

Friendly person behind the bar filled my cycling waterbottles.

(the pub has a sticker on the door inviting folk to come in to refill their water bottles as they wander round town - plus free water fountains and glasses)

At no time did anyone query my bike leaning against their inside door and when I came to leave the main chap behind the bar opened the door for me.

Pub of no great architrectural merit, in fact none, and very definitely not compared to its very nearby sister spoons, the grade 2 listed The Art Picture House

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... house-bury

but it was decidedly friendly to this cyclist none the less.
Sweep
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Sweep it occurs to me that those Midlands Spoons you enjoyed on your canalside trip may have been serving Banks's beers. They used to be one of our software customers and I visited the Banks brewery often. Inside they had a training pub where new Landlords learned the basics. The beer in that pub was to die for which in my experience you dont find in Bank's pubs where people are so often quaffing that excuse for proper beer.. Lager. The fast turnover in any pub offers a better chance of enjoying a decent pint. With their massive success ensuring rapid turnover its all part of Tim's Spoons's magic formula I guess?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

The knights templer near Temple Meads station Bristol has a large outdoor seating area.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

The V shed on Bristols harbourside has outdoor covered seating but limited space for secure bike parking.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

The Glassmaker at Nailsea has some outside seating and with good visibility of the cycle parking from inside from much of the seating.
PH

Post by PH »

The Tollemache Inn, Grantham, in the main street.
Beer garden accessible without going through the pub, though the gate isn't operable from the outside so you may need to go through the pub to let yourself in -a customer opened it for us. Plenty of space for bikes, and railings to lock them to, visible from several tables inside if you're not going to sit out.
Group of 5 called in mid afternoon on a Sunday last month, served reasonably quickly at the bar, filled water bottles. Food took ages to arrive and they'd run out of one order but didn't let us know till we'd been waiting 15 minutes - though they offered an upgrade to anything off the menu as compensation.
Level of service disappointing, particularly as we needed a quicker stop and feel we should have been warned about the delay at the time of ordering. Just this one visit, so I wouldn't dismiss the idea of using again.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I prefer Little Chef for a speedy meal :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I prefer Little Chef for a speedy meal :wink:

You'll have a very long wait for one now!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I prefer Little Chef for a speedy meal :wink:

They’ve all been converted to Greggs or Starbucks. Little Chef is no more, as of Jan 2018.

Our local CTC group used to call them Little Thief.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com