Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Oldjohnw

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:
TrevA wrote:A colleague of my daughter (who works in the Civil Service), had been working part time at Wetherspoons as well as a full time job at the Civil Service. He decided that the CS wasn’t for him and decided to go full time at Spoons. His last day at the CS was last Friday and at lunchtime, he sent her an e-mail saying goodbye. Talk about bad timing!

Unfortunate timing and a large dollop of poor judgement. Obviously he wasn’t cut out for civil service but would you jump ship to go to Spoons?

The much maligned CS is, despite the desire of Cummings and Johnson to obliterate, doing a fantastic job in most cases.
John
EverRed

Post by EverRed »

I do hope people will think twice about giving Wetherspoons their custom now that they can clearly see what kind of person the owner, Tim Martin, is.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

EverRed wrote:I do hope people will think twice about giving Wetherspoons their custom now that they can clearly see what kind of person the owner, Tim Martin, is.

I understand your views but it occurred to me that if we take our custom elsewhere, the staff are the ones hardest hit. Not rich Tim.

Open to views and opinions, as always.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

matt2matt2002 wrote:
EverRed wrote:I do hope people will think twice about giving Wetherspoons their custom now that they can clearly see what kind of person the owner, Tim Martin, is.

I understand your views but it occurred to me that if we take our custom elsewhere, the staff are the ones hardest hit. Not rich Tim.

There are ways...

Unlikely it would happen, but a single "Boycott day" where staff are already in and employed yet there is a statement mad would no affect the staff whatsoever.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

matt2matt2002 wrote:

Wherever you take your custom to it will require labour to deliver your needs. So you’ll not be putting them out of work just moving them to, hopefully, somewhere better.

I have sinned once on Wimps LEJOG and whenever I read anything about Tim Martin I’ve another sleepless night
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote: whenever I read anything about Tim Martin I’ve another sleepless night

He is outspoken and I've never heard anything from him that I agree with, I wish he'd keep his politics out of his pubs.
I'm less sure that he runs his business, or treats his staff, any worse than many large businesses. Locally Toyota is one of three major employers, they've sent all staff home, permanent staff on full pay, but the thousands they employ as agency staff, so they don't have to take responsibility for them, will get nothing.
I know a few ethical shoppers and very much respect their choices. But for it to mean anything it has to be consistent, there's no point spending the money you don't at Weatherspoons somewhere equally bad and not knowing about where else you spend it is a poor excuse.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The question now is not so much about Cycle friendly Wetherspoons but Wetherspoon friendly Cyclists.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PH wrote:I'm less sure that he runs his business, or treats his staff, any worse than many large businesses. Locally Toyota is one of three major employers, they've sent all staff home, permanent staff on full pay, but the thousands they employ as agency staff, so they don't have to take responsibility for them, will get nothing.
I know a few ethical shoppers and very much respect their choices. But for it to mean anything it has to be consistent, there's no point spending the money you don't at Weatherspoons somewhere equally bad and not knowing about where else you spend it is a poor excuse.

Fair point as I see JDW score 3.5 on Glassdoor and Toyota 3.7 so both very similar.
Apart from supermarkets I stay well away from large businesses/ franchises, Costa, Mcdees etc, and support local business.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:
PH wrote:I'm less sure that he runs his business, or treats his staff, any worse than many large businesses. Locally Toyota is one of three major employers, they've sent all staff home, permanent staff on full pay, but the thousands they employ as agency staff, so they don't have to take responsibility for them, will get nothing.

Fair point as I see JDW score 3.5 on Glassdoor and Toyota 3.7 so both very similar.
Apart from supermarkets I stay well away from large businesses/ franchises, Costa, Mcdees etc, and support local business.

Same here. I avoid especially those who are known to have poor staff support and/or don't pay tax. Amazon, for example, expect the NHS to provide healthcare but won't contribute. Virgin want a bailout.
John
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Paulatic wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:

Wherever you take your custom to it will require labour to deliver your needs. So you’ll not be putting them out of work just moving them to, hopefully, somewhere better.

I have sinned once on Wimps LEJOG and whenever I read anything about Tim Martin I’ve another sleepless night

This is my view too.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
Paulatic wrote: whenever I read anything about Tim Martin I’ve another sleepless night

He is outspoken and I've never heard anything from him that I agree with, I wish he'd keep his politics out of his pubs.
I'm less sure that he runs his business, or treats his staff, any worse than many large businesses. Locally Toyota is one of three major employers, they've sent all staff home, permanent staff on full pay, but the thousands they employ as agency staff, so they don't have to take responsibility for them, will get nothing.

We had some agency staff at work when we needed extra people for projects like new system implementations. It was the agency that paid their holiday and sick pay etc so I guess it'd be the same with the agencies employing the Toyota staff ie the agency are responsible for them. If the agency lays them off then they should get the 80% of salary the government is promising to pay.

Our agency staff were on higher salaries than employees but didn't get company pension contributions so there was little real difference.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

40mile ride on Moulton into England and The South Hams, and into Plymouth today.
My idea was to call in at The Union Rooms in Plymouth, like wot I've done many times.
Lean the bike up against the glass windows and go inside for a couple of beer before taking the train back to Gunnislake.

Mick F wrote:I mentioned Wetherspoon's Plymouth a few times on this thread, and how you can lean your bike against the floor-to-ceiling glass doors. There's only one door that's ever used, so there's plenty space.
You can sit inside and eat and drink, and keep an eye on your bike at the same time. You can also use the Wetherspoon app to order, so you don't have to even go to the bar.

This was Moulton yesterday afternoon outside sheltered from the incessant English rain.
I'd taken my saddle bag in with me as well as my Garmin Montana. The only door of the three that's used, is well off the shot to to left.
Wetherspoon Plymouth.JPG
Wetherspoon Plymouth.JPG (31.03 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

Trouble is ....................
The garden gates on the road were locked shut and as I wasn't able to take Moulton in through the frond doors, up the staircase, through the bar, along past all the tables, and into the garden ............... and back after leaving, I decided to forget it.

No probs, I'll ride down to Porters on Looe Street where there's a garden, but the place is closed and being refurbished - nothing to do with The Virus ............... so I went up Looe Street to The Minerva ............ the oldest pub in Plymouth.
The Minerva Inn is Plymouth’s oldest serving public house, circa 1540.

Trouble is, there's no garden, and nowhere to lean a bike up outside in a secure environment, but I went inside and asked nicely if I could bring a bike inside.
No probs whatsoever, and I wheeled Moulton in and into the back room, then bought a beer and a packet of salted peanuts whilst in the bar with my bike! :D

https://sites.google.com/site/theminervaplymouth//home
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

yes they do have seem to have a habit of locking their back yard gates - no idea why - keep meaning to ask them.
In practice it is usually just a small irritant as have never really had a great problem taking the bike through the pub - they have always seemed easy on this, many wouldn't be. But clearly not really easy for your plymouth one. Nor the one in hastings where the garden is on the roof.
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bit of news regarding Wetherspoon's at Plymouth.
Sounds a bit smelly.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ts-6052433
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 4:47pm Bit of news regarding Wetherspoon's at Plymouth.
Sounds a bit smelly.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... ts-6052433
Ammonia from floor levelling stuff?

Jonathan