Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 92
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 5 Jul 2018, 11:16am

Cunobelin wrote:Talking about difficult customers and bouncers - A few years ago there was a banned customer who came back in the following day.... by car!

A drinker thrown out of a pub took revenge by smashing his car through the front doors and driving around inside the bar, causing £300,000 worth of damage.



I know that pub well. It’s a bit ‘charecterful’.

Marcus Aurelius
Posts: 92
Joined: 1 Feb 2018, 10:20am

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 5 Jul 2018, 11:37am

As far as getting back on track for the O.P. I have a few favourites.

The Angel, in the Festival place shopping area in Basingstoke is good, because just around the corner, they have secure ‘cage boxes’ into which you can put your bike, but you need to bring your own padlock, for the cage door. There’s also a bike rack right by the front door.

Also in Basingstoke, is the Maidenhead Inn. You can bring your bikes into the outside seating area at the back, which is nice.

The Ivy kitchen, in Alton is good, with plenty of bike racking, within site of the front garden area.

The George Inn in Littlehampton is good too.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 4046
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 5 Jul 2018, 12:37pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:As far as getting back on track for the O.P. I have a few favourites.

The Angel, in the Festival place shopping area in Basingstoke is good, because just around the corner, they have secure ‘cage boxes’ into which you can put your bike, but you need to bring your own padlock, for the cage door. There’s also a bike rack right by the front door.

Also in Basingstoke, is the Maidenhead Inn. You can bring your bikes into the outside seating area at the back, which is nice.

The Ivy kitchen, in Alton is good, with plenty of bike racking, within site of the front garden area.

The George Inn in Littlehampton is good too.

Think I have been in the littlehampton one with a friend on a coastal ride.
Bike racks in street quite close by, fairly good window view at the front?

Edit _ just checked the Ivy HOUSE - yes, that looks like a nice outside area.
Sweep

ossie
Posts: 522
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby ossie » 5 Jul 2018, 9:11pm

I visited the spoons in Redditch not that long back. (Royal Enfield)

Its actually an old cinema (they kept the theme ) but plenty of nostalgia if you're a biker of the other variety. The new cinemas are 5 minutes away before we get a conspiracy theory !

http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.com/201 ... d-pub.html

brynpoeth
Posts: 5330
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Jul 2018, 9:16pm

Why does spoons have so many old cinemas? One would have thought conversion would be difficult with sloping floors
I guess they are mostly old-style cinemas with just one big theatre, right?

What else do they have, old copshops, old train stations?
Alternative facts welcome
......
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott

ossie
Posts: 522
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 7:52pm

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby ossie » 5 Jul 2018, 9:34pm

brynpoeth wrote:Why does spoons have so many old cinemas? One would have thought conversion would be difficult with sloping floors
I guess they are mostly old-style cinemas with just one big theatre, right?

What else do they have, old copshops, old train stations?


It did seem slightly 'cavernous' inside but an iconic building. I guess the alternative would be flats.

Image

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 4046
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 6 Jul 2018, 1:47pm

ossie wrote:I visited the spoons in Redditch not that long back. (Royal Enfield)

Its actually an old cinema (they kept the theme ) but plenty of nostalgia if you're a biker of the other variety. The new cinemas are 5 minutes away before we get a conspiracy theory !

http://myroyalenfields.blogspot.com/201 ... d-pub.html


I passed by that last year on a roundabout ride Birmingham to London. As I recall I didn't stop - maybe because there was no particular beer that shouted at me (one of the great things about spoons, even if the building is middling, is that sense of anticipation about which beers may await you - you never know) , though I also seem to recall that it also wasn't good for parking a loaded tourer.

Mind you, I had come from the other spoons in town (two in a pretty small place!) the Rising Sun. A building of no great interest as I recall - in the modern redeveloped town centre BUT there are sheffield stands right across the pedestrianised street outside so you can sit outside with the smokers or inside in certain places with a clear view. Which I did - left the bike all (and very substantially) loaded.

I had to stop there, even though I had breakfasted (with beer) in a Birmingham spoons as they had this wondrous stuff on draught.

http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/pro ... p?s=jaipur

A beer I was introduced to by spoons.

Thoroughly recommended.

So perhaps just as well I didn't go in the town's other outlet - pedalling to be done.
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 4046
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 6 Jul 2018, 1:58pm

brynpoeth wrote:Why does spoons have so many old cinemas? One would have thought conversion would be difficult with sloping floors
I guess they are mostly old-style cinemas with just one big theatre, right?

What else do they have, old copshops, old train stations?


On cinemas, possibly because it's difficult to find another use for such buildings so spoons has a clearer run at them. But they desserve our thanks nevertheless for preserving them. My local spoons is an old cinema. Shut as a cinema decades ago, then kept in use as a bingo hall, then when they departed it was empty and semi wrecked looking for a long time. At one time it was in danger of being demolished.

Its now listed and spoons has treated the building well.

A while ago a cinema chain was interested in taking over the lease but they gave up as they wanted to make changes to the building that wouldn't have been allowed under its listed status.

So it's time as a cinema is gone and us lucky folks can sit in its great interior drinking wonderful cheap beer - what's not to like?

Cop shops? New Malden.
Used to live there - always seemed a somewhat gloomy building but maybe that was because my experience of it was going in to present my documents after a bit of dodgy driving.

Not sure about outdoor seating with a bike but there are sheffield stands directly outside.

After the spoons conversion and opening up it is remarkably light and airy:

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... new-malden

Which raises another great point about spoons - those often very interesting, nay downright surprising, local history boards you can peruse as you recover from your peddaling, fill up for the onward journey.

A quick scan of that one above for instance tells me that Diana Rigg is an ex resident - before my time unfortunately.
Sweep