Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10185
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Apr 2019, 10:34am

CRiticising the overbearing Brexit propaganda on Trip Advisor was effective n toning it down locally

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 9:50am

The Goldengrove, Stratford.

At the end of a recent very good CTC ride round interesting bits of Essex, went there with the leader, and the pub, beer and company were much appreciated.

Link for pics (particularly outdoor area) here.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -stratford

Large nice outdoor area freely accessible from the street.

Lots of cycle lanes nearby, several Sheffield stands right outside the pub (shown in one of the pics and as we walked in another cyclist locked up and walked straight in) if you choose not to keep the bikes alongside you in the yard. More sheffield stands very close by in another cluster.

My companion/esteemed CTC leader appreciated the good beer, prices, and a certain lack of the "liberal elite" which had dropped into the conversation on a bit of the ride.
Sweep

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12369
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 May 2019, 10:09am

Hey Sweep 'irc' is reporting daily on his LeJoG elsewhere on these fora, he visits several spoons each day :wink:
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 10:15am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hey Sweep 'irc' is reporting daily on his LeJoG elsewhere on these fora, he visits several spoons each day :wink:


Please provide a link.

I have done two in a day - allowing a breakfast at one and another breakfast as lunch by arriving at the second before noon.

I have a long ride coming up and the cycle routeplanner has conspired to take me right past the front door of two so I may be able to do another double. Though I do have a timed train to catch so will have to be careful.
Sweep

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12369
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Cyril Haearn » 30 May 2019, 10:20am

Easy to find in LeJoG section, near the top because it is active
Cannae post a link from my smartphone, sorry
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48250
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Mick F » 30 May 2019, 10:27am

On an End2End, don't forget the furthest north 'spoons in UK.
Wick.

Was there on my Chopper in 2010. :D
Leant it up outside the front.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -bain-wick
Mick F. Cornwall

mattheus
Posts: 1542
Joined: 29 Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Location: Western Europe

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby mattheus » 30 May 2019, 12:04pm

Newbury &
Henley

both have rear access to courtyard/garden, so you can park your bike away from the street and keep an eye on it.

(both are the usual dark dungeon inside, but it doesn't seem to put the punters off!)

whoof
Posts: 2067
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby whoof » 30 May 2019, 12:22pm

I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -eastleigh

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 12:33pm

mattheus wrote:Newbury &
Henley

both have rear access to courtyard/garden, so you can park your bike away from the street and keep an eye on it.

(both are the usual dark dungeon inside, but it doesn't seem to put the punters off!)


Thanks for the tips.

In fairness far from all are dark dungeons, for spoons of course use a vast array of building types. My local spoons is an old cinema and the light floods in. The one in new malden, an old police station of all things, has been converted so that one area in particular has lots of natural light. If dungeons are your thing though I think they have preserved at least one of the holding cells.
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 12:36pm

whoof wrote:I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -eastleigh


Did you ask whether you could do this?

If so, how did they react?
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 12:38pm

Mick F wrote:On an End2End, don't forget the furthest north 'spoons in UK.
Wick.

Was there on my Chopper in 2010. :D
Leant it up outside the front.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -bain-wick

Looks like a wonderful building and a nice (if damp) outdoor area.
A Raleigh chopper?
If so what was all that about?
Do you have a pic?
Sweep

whoof
Posts: 2067
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby whoof » 30 May 2019, 12:46pm

Sweep wrote:
whoof wrote:I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -eastleigh


Did you ask whether you could do this?

If so, how did they react?


If I'm with someone else I go to the bar and ask whilst the other person looks after the bikes. I've done this at a couple, Great Malvern comes to mind and it's been fine. As I was my own I just picked up the bike and walked in, stood inside the door looking toward the bar and I was hoping to catch the barman's eye as he was serving to ask. He did look up briefly but went back to pouring his pint and said nothing so I continued through to the garden. No comments by staff when carrying the bike in either direction.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 15044
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby mjr » 30 May 2019, 12:52pm

Sweep wrote:https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/london/goldengrove-stratford
[...] several Sheffield stands right outside the pub (shown in one of the pics and as we walked in another cyclist locked up and walked straight in) if you choose not to keep the bikes alongside you in the yard. More sheffield stands very close by in another cluster.

Only one Sheffield stand shown in the pic or on Street View. It's a Sheffield Extra, but even so, in London, own parking would be needed to be cycle-friendly IMO.

Sweep wrote:My companion/esteemed CTC leader appreciated the good beer, prices, and a certain lack of the "liberal elite" which had dropped into the conversation on a bit of the ride.

Now who's implying that Wetherspoons is a place where the illiberal can go to be illiberal? :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 1:04pm

I can assure you there was more than one sheffield stand immediately outside, though the pic does make it look otherwise.

Why on earth would I say there were several if in fact there weren't?

As I said us two locked up and I also mentioned at least one other person.

Might be an idea to get away from the digital world, ease up on the keyboard warrioring, pedal off for a laid back social drink in the offline world.

Note to self - i really must start taking pics again and then posting some on here - will try to in future though must admit am often too ready to chill.

Can assure you that I am liberal.

I fear you misunderstand the term liberal elite.

I know nothing about the political opinions of the many many other folk (it was very busy) in the place at the time, nor nothing about their sexual tastes for that matter. I wouldn't be so presumptious.

You should have made us a threesome to discuss the term over a drink.

Cheers.
Last edited by Sweep on 30 May 2019, 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6030
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 1:18pm

whoof wrote:
Sweep wrote:
whoof wrote:I went to the Wagon Works at Eastleigh, Hampshire last week as it was about halfway on my ride Bristol to Brighton.

Carried my bike through the bar into the garden and had fish, chips and peas, a couple of cups of tea and a pint of tap water for £6.49.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all- ... -eastleigh


Did you ask whether you could do this?

If so, how did they react?


If I'm with someone else I go to the bar and ask whilst the other person looks after the bikes. I've done this at a couple, Great Malvern comes to mind and it's been fine. As I was my own I just picked up the bike and walked in, stood inside the door looking toward the bar and I was hoping to catch the barman's eye as he was serving to ask. He did look up briefly but went back to pouring his pint and said nothing so I continued through to the garden. No comments by staff when carrying the bike in either direction.

Sounds like the typical easy going attitude of spoons, for of course they get all sorts in.

Encourages me to try with others, for of course the pic of the outside of that pub makes it look less than handy for bikes.

That to me is the very definition of cycle friendly - i think i mentioned upthread a great pub in deptford south london that is very much liked by cyclists for although they have no cycle facilities at all of their own they have always been happy to allow us to carry bikes through the bar to their rear yard. On the other side, I know a very nice pub in the Blackheath area with a very nice garden which won't let you carry a bike through the very spacious bar with wooden floors. So I rarely go. Very cycle unfriendly. I don't feel comfortable with my bike outside that place. Out of sight. And sod all to lock to anyway.
Sweep