Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Postby mjr » 30 May 2019, 1:38pm

Sweep wrote:I can assure you there was more than one sheffield stand immediately outside, though the pic does make it look otherwise.

Why on earth would I say there were several if in fact there weren't?

Who knows? Anyway, you wrote "several Sheffield stands right outside the pub" were "shown in one of the pics" which seems incorrect at a glance, so worth a question, no?

Sweep wrote:As I said us two locked up and I also mentioned at least one other person.

It's not completely unknown that two (or more!) friends should lock their bikes together stem-to-saddle on one side of a stand when there's limited parking.

Sweep wrote:Might be an idea to get away from the digital world, ease up on the keyboard warrioring, pedal off for a laid back social drink in the offline world.

On my next day off, I will. I'm at work today, usually typing here while servers thrash around to do my bidding but I need to keep an eye on them and not potentially light more fires than I can handle if anything goes astray.

A ride is planned to the great cycle-friendly independent pub in West Acre, but I may do a short shakedown ride on one of my just-repaired bikes to either the great community-owned King's Arms Shouldham or the Angel Watlington before then.

Sweep wrote:Can assure you that I am liberal.

Never said you weren't.

Sweep wrote:I fear you misunderstand the term liberal elite.

And I suspect you know full well what that is now used as code for and how often it's been screamed in our faces when out campaigning!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 30 May 2019, 6:58pm

If you download the Wetherspoons App on your smartphone, you can order your food and drink from your table and pay for it too - even outside tables have a number. So you don't have to leave your bike to order your food/drink. I was a bit cynical at first, but Ive now used it several times and the service i reasonably quick. Also saves having queue up at the bar to order.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 30 May 2019, 7:02pm

TrevA wrote:If you download the Wetherspoons App on your smartphone, you can order your food and drink from your table and pay for it too - even outside tables have a number. So you don't have to leave your bike to order your food/drink. I was a bit cynical at first, but Ive now used it several times and the service i reasonably quick. Also saves having queue up at the bar to order.

yes it is clever, but as I think noted upthread Trev, it doesn't work on the guest beers, often including interesting local stuff, which is why I go there. It did during the last beerfest though, and a thing of wonder it was.
Sweep

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 30 May 2019, 10:51pm

I normally drink Doom Bar, which is on the App. Perhaps I should be a little more adventurous?

Just had a look for my local Spoons and it seems to have some guest beers on there - Ruddles Best, Doom Bar and Abbot are the usual fare, but it also has Mauldons Silver Adder, Halons Stormsay, Kelham Island Pale Rider and Woods Take 5.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 31 May 2019, 6:28am

TrevA wrote:I normally drink Doom Bar, which is on the App. Perhaps I should be a little more adventurous?

Just had a look for my local Spoons and it seems to have some guest beers on there - Ruddles Best, Doom Bar and Abbot are the usual fare, but it also has Mauldons Silver Adder, Halons Stormsay, Kelham Island Pale Rider and Woods Take 5.

Not a fan of Doom Bar to be honest Trev - consider it a triumph of marketing - as far as I know, it's not even brewed in Cornwall, despite the impression they try to give that every barrel has been dragged from a raging shore - it used to sell for a fair premium at spoons as elsewhere but in the end spoons relented (customers perhaps more discerning than some would have you believe) and reduced the premium. Mauldons a good brewery and I seem to recall that Silver Adder is pretty good. Kelham Island Pale Rider is perhaps a tad brutal but boy you get your moneysworth - pretty strong. Not a bad taste. A spoons near me seems to have a direct line to the brewery even though it is not a regular spoons beer.

A whole new world awaits Trev :) They do a free tasting notes leaflet/booklet on the beers coming up for the next two or three months - which also of course puts the mockers on some folk who claim that they get their beer when it is bang up or even past its date.

enjoy.
Sweep

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 31 May 2019, 7:00am

Beer keeps (matures?), a long time, the use-by dates are known far in advance :wink:
Wish we had some staff or former staff on these fora to tell us more
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 31 May 2019, 9:22am

Sweep wrote:
Mick F wrote:On an End2End, don't forget the furthest north 'spoons in UK.
Wick.

Was there on my Chopper in 2010. :D
Leant it up outside the front.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -bain-wick

Looks like a wonderful building and a nice (if damp) outdoor area.
A Raleigh chopper?
If so what was all that about?
Do you have a pic?
No, sorry, but I thought "everybody" knew about my Jogle on the Chopper. :wink:
Have a read at my blog,
Don't forget that the later posts are above the earlier ones, so you need to start at the bottom to get the whole story.
http://jogleonachopper.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 3 Jun 2019, 6:59am

Mick F wrote:
Sweep wrote:
Mick F wrote:On an End2End, don't forget the furthest north 'spoons in UK.
Wick.

Was there on my Chopper in 2010. :D
Leant it up outside the front.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pub-histo ... -bain-wick

Looks like a wonderful building and a nice (if damp) outdoor area.
A Raleigh chopper?
If so what was all that about?
Do you have a pic?
No, sorry, but I thought "everybody" knew about my Jogle on the Chopper. :wink:
Have a read at my blog,
m

Well not me and the odd lost tribe mick.
Thanks for link, will read it with interest.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 3 Jun 2019, 7:33am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hey Sweep 'irc' is reporting daily on his LeJoG elsewhere on these fora, he visits several spoons each day :wink:

Thanks for the nod. Just read it. Indeed he did - three in one day! I feel a challenge coming on. Some nice looking buildings. Was sorry to read that food poisoning broke his trip but he seemed pretty sure that it wasn't a spoons wot did it.
Sweep

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Jun 2019, 9:01pm

We were in Wetherspoons in Penzance a year or so back.
Not exactly cycle friendly, but it was really.
We asked nicely, and they allowed me to carry my bike through the bar and into the enclosed garden at the rear.

As it happens, I reckon that Wetherspoons Penzance is the furthest south Wetherspoons.
As I said before, Wick is the furthest north one.
.................... and I've been to both! :D

Beat that if you can.
Mick F. Cornwall

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Jun 2019, 7:06am

Mick F wrote:We were in Wetherspoons in Penzance a year or so back.
Not exactly cycle friendly, but it was really.
We asked nicely, and they allowed me to carry my bike through the bar and into the enclosed garden at the rear.

As it happens, I reckon that Wetherspoons Penzance is the furthest south Wetherspoons.
As I said before, Wick is the furthest north one.
.................... and I've been to both! :D

Beat that if you can.

Good point mickf. It is of course the "really" that counts, as with people.
Impressive N S visiting of yours. Only way I can think of of beating it would be to do the most in a day (inspired by our friend on the Lejog thread) but possibly irresponsible. And probably be beyond my triangulation efforts, despite the fact that all the spoons are on my etrex20.
Sweep

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Jun 2019, 8:27am

White Hart, Todmorden.

Was there the other day - without the bike but I do have plans to cycle that way and meet the Tod cyclist who told me that the freely accessible rear was a veritable sun trap - Todmorden weather permitting of course. Often used by local cyclists at the end of a ride I gather. Great if challenging cycling country.

Free access to the back with railings to fasten bikes to or just keep them alongside you.

Clearly open at the front though no bike fixings.

Pub usual benefits for cycle tourists as listed upthread by several though I stress that at 8am this isn't coming from their wi-fi.

Wonderful pint of wobbly bob for £1.89 and a very nice northern beer I forget the name of. Nice staff. Good supply of local tourist literature. Usual info boards to while away a few minutes - including one on Geoff Love - local lad.

Finally figured out posting <SNIP> a pic of a fully loaded tourer and more info on another. Depends on progress over hills to a train and whether - if I make it to one I'm thinking of - it rates a mention.
Image Attachments
todspoonsfront.jpg
White Hart Todmorden front
todspoonsrear1.jpg
White Hart Todmorden rear
todspoonsrear2.jpg
White Hart Todmorden rear 2
Last edited by Graham on 4 Jun 2019, 2:31pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: context modified by Mod activity
Sweep

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Jun 2019, 8:54am

Sweep wrote:Impressive N S visiting of yours. Only way I can think of of beating it would be to do the most in a day (inspired by our friend on the Lejog thread)
What about furthest east and furthest west as well? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 4 Jun 2019, 9:00am

Mick F wrote:
Sweep wrote:Impressive N S visiting of yours. Only way I can think of of beating it would be to do the most in a day (inspired by our friend on the Lejog thread)
What about furthest east and furthest west as well? :wink:

ah if I accepted the challenge I fear it would be to lose to you on some kiddie bike MickF :)

And mjr may have an unfair advantage over both of us on the easterly.

Feel free to tell us which these two would be though.
Sweep

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 4 Jun 2019, 9:08am

My one "not quite bike friendly" experience was when staying overnight at Royal Hop Pole (Tewkesbury).

It was a decent room/experience for the price, but I did have to lock the bike up at the rear of the building, accessible to punters-n-public.

(Fortunately I'd ridden quite a long way to get there, and had more than 1 beer downstairs, so I managed to get to sleep despite the bike-anxiety!)