Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bmblbzzz

Re: Cycle friendly Wetherspoons

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:
mattheus wrote:
Sweep wrote:Did you ask them about alternative arrangements for the bike mattheus?

You bet I did!!!

Of course, these things often come down to asking the right person, but that's pot luck generally.

Cycle-friendly chains set cycle policies so you know where you stand. Wetherspoons does not.

Point worth noting.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Cycle friendly policy is meaningless if the staff are unaware of it, or choose to ignore it. Unfortunately this is quite a regular occurrence across the board.

You only have to look at the many complaints on here about easyJet staff not letting bikes in poly bags on a flight. The company have a clear and cycle friendly policy, but tell that to someone who is denied boarding.
whoof

Post by whoof »

simonhill wrote:Cycle friendly policy is meaningless if the staff are unaware of it, or choose to ignore it. Unfortunately this is quite a regular occurrence across the board.

You only have to look at the many complaints on here about easyJet staff not letting bikes in poly bags on a flight. The company have a clear and cycle friendly policy, but tell that to someone who is denied boarding.

It's a bit like flying off the bonnet of a car that has turned into a junction due to their failure to give way to you as you walked across the road. The knowledge that you had right of way as you descend towards the tarmac is most comforting.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Another euphemism: 'we are opening a new branch nearby' or 'we are moving'

Both mean also "we are closing' :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

He was right, quite right,
As he drank his pint,
But he's just as tight
As if he'd been skint.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:Cycle friendly policy is meaningless if the staff are unaware of it, or choose to ignore it. Unfortunately this is quite a regular occurrence across the board.

True. Must admit i thought of spoons the other day as i cycled past an isolated rural essex pub. It had a written cycle policy - a sign said "no bicycles on the patio". Whyever not? Fair to assume that cyclists wouldn't deliberately obstruct folk or mince small children in their drive train. I did think of stopping to ask them whyever not or take a pic, but had to press on.
I'd rather go with spoons generally easy going nature. That's the definition of friendly. I wouldn't expect them to state in bold print that bikes can be brought inside. Would cause issues.
Sweep
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

MrsHJ wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:2. Him indoors is a publican (landlord of the family pub) and supporting local family pubs is far better for the local economy than any chain. We support local (as in round the corner) businesses through our food sourcing and all meals are home made, not out of a preprepared box.

Would you care to say exactly where your pub is?

It's in Dartmouth. Land of boats, pasties and very steep hills.

Just like to say that we closed out pub a week ago (ie before we had to) as it seems the right thing to do. Staff still fully paid, hoping the government scheme will come through.

Wetherspoons- again not looking like a good employer or a responsible one.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

MrsHJ wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Would you care to say exactly where your pub is?

It's in Dartmouth. Land of boats, pasties and very steep hills.

Just like to say that we closed out pub a week ago (ie before we had to) as it seems the right thing to do. Staff still fully paid, hoping the government scheme will come through.

Wetherspoons- again not looking like a good employer or a responsible one.

Good luck. You sound like a good employer with a social conscience. Thank you.
John
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Our local 'spoons gave away, eggs, milk, onions etc. the day after they shut.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
ossie

Post by ossie »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Our local 'spoons gave away, eggs, milk, onions etc. the day after they shut.

Nice touch. I know a few pubs were giving away beer 'around the back' if you rocked up with a suitable container. Obviously stuff from the pumps that would have gone down the pan.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

ossie wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:Our local 'spoons gave away, eggs, milk, onions etc. the day after they shut.

Nice touch. I know a few pubs were giving away beer 'around the back' if you rocked up with a suitable container. Obviously stuff from the pumps that would have gone down the pan.

Trouble is, it appears that he had told his suppliers they won't be paid until after the shutdown. So he is giving away stuff he hasn't paid for.
John
ossie

Post by ossie »

Oldjohnw wrote:
ossie wrote:

Trouble is, it appears that he had told his suppliers they won't be paid until after the shutdown. So he is giving away stuff he hasn't paid for.

Apologies these weren't spoons, more the pub giving stuff away link. Slightly off topic I know.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

ossie wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
ossie wrote:

Ah, ok. The eggs still tasted good.
But I get your point.
They shouldn't have given it all away because they hadn't paid for it.
Nice thinking.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

A colleague of my daughter (who works in the Civil Service), had been working part time at Wetherspoons as well as a full time job at the Civil Service. He decided that the CS wasn’t for him and decided to go full time at Spoons. His last day at the CS was last Friday and at lunchtime, he sent her an e-mail saying goodbye. Talk about bad timing!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

TrevA wrote:A colleague of my daughter (who works in the Civil Service), had been working part time at Wetherspoons as well as a full time job at the Civil Service. He decided that the CS wasn’t for him and decided to go full time at Spoons. His last day at the CS was last Friday and at lunchtime, he sent her an e-mail saying goodbye. Talk about bad timing!

Unfortunate timing and a large dollop of poor judgement. Obviously he wasn’t cut out for civil service but would you jump ship to go to Spoons?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info