Scandinavia in late September and early October?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Scandinavia in late September and early October?

Post by raybo »

My wife and I will be traveling to the UK in September so she can attend her 40th high school reunion.

I am wondering if riding in Sweden and Norway in late September and early October is worth the effort to get there. I've checked the average weather and it will be cool/cold and there should be a fair amount of rain. Not all that unusual for autumn weather in many places.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about planning such a tour, suggested routes, weather considerations, or any journals that I might read.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
eileithyia

Re: Scandinavia in late September and early October?

Post by eileithyia »

Well I went to Denmark one October, it was coolish with 4-5 days of hefty rain.... admittedly a bit of a disappointment after having a heatwave while I'd been in Eire the previous year. The advantage was that the heating was fully on in hotels / hostels etc., so everything did dry out overnight.
I did meet a lad who had been up to the Arctic Circle in late Aug/Sept and said the winter weather was already closing in behind him.. guess it depends on where you plan to head for and bear in mind I am avid follower of X-country / Biathlon and some of the earlier events recently are being run on tracks where the snowfall is supplemented with stored snow.... so winter does seem to be arriving later.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells