Customs madness and 'dangerous objects'

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wearwell

Customs madness and 'dangerous objects'

Post by wearwell »

Had random sample of our touring bags x rayed at Plymouth (Brittany Ferry for Cherbourg). Luckily missed various bits and bobs we had but couldn't help notice the large collection of pen knives and similar which they had in a bucket.
Madness - you wouldn't get far attacking a Brittany Ferry with an Opinel!
Anyway we had 20 tent pegs which could have been lethally sharp for all they knew.
So tuck them away carefully!

On return they let us back in with no inspection - so watch out for terrorists with Swiss army knives, they could be all over Britain by now, posing as cycle tourists. :roll:
Last edited by wearwell on 17 Jun 2018, 6:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: Customs madness and 'dangerous objects'

Post by gaz »

simonhill

Post by simonhill »

What has this to do with Customs? Surely it is the ferry company's security.

If your bags are staying on your bike on the car deck wouldn't that be a consideration? A bit like hold luggage on a plane.

How many knives and worse are in the drawers of camper vans, and caravans.
softlips

Post by softlips »

I was arrested once at Stockholm Arlanda airport for having a laser pointer without a license.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

I'm heading over to NL next month with Stena, and having now checked their 'dangerous goods' FAQ page it says:

Sharp Objects
Transportation of knives and other sharp objects (such as pocket knife and nail files etc.) onboard are not permitted.

So technically you would be breaching their T&C's, but I very much doubt they go through every vehicle checking for nail files... Do they make you go through a metal detector as a passenger?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

We bought a Bottle opener in Paris recently as we were having an evening by the River and need a corkscrew.It was one of those plastic handled jobs with a bottle opener,corkscrew and 2" blade.It was in my Cabin bag(I didn't think anything of it) but was confiscated at Airport security :roll:
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

Last year taking ferry Plymouth to Roscoff was asked if had any sharp objects. Confessed to a penknife which they fortunately didn't confiscate. I think Opinels may now be technically illegal due to locking blade.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

JakobW wrote:I'm heading over to NL next month with Stena, and having now checked their 'dangerous goods' FAQ page it says:

Sharp Objects
Transportation of knives and other sharp objects (such as pocket knife and nail files etc.) onboard are not permitted.

So technically you would be breaching their T&C's, but I very much doubt they go through every vehicle checking for nail files... Do they make you go through a metal detector as a passenger?

The above sharp objects section is under the Onboard Baggage Allowance section which talks about the luggage you take on to the passenger section of the ship. Most cyclist's sharp objects would be in their panniers on the car deck. I can see how the suspicious may think you can carry something onto the cardeck in your pannier, then remove it and take it into the passenger area. However this is no different to what any motorist, caravaner, etc could do.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Right - I wasn't quite sure what this meant for cyclists. I will confess I usually take panniers up to my cabin with me (at least if I'm on an overnight sailing), but by this point they've presumably let me take the penknife in the bottom of the bag on board with me...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Once had my lock extender cable confiscated but the actual lock not! I'd put them both in my hand luggage without thinking at the last minute. Have managed to inadvertently take all sorts of proscribed stuff in my hand luggage over the years but got pulled for a gift packet of salt! (it wasn't taken away, thank you kind German security lady!) Hadn't even considered that a packet of salt was not allowed.

Never had any luggage checked at ferry ports when with the bike and the last time with a car was in @ 1988!

As I understand it, under UK regulations, a penknife with a blade under 3" is actually allowed so in theory a Swiss Army knife is okay as is a standard nail file. However this does not seem to have filtered down to the blatant thieves at UK airports.

Never had any truck with customs or immigration, only with security. (I won't go into the strip search at Manchester!)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I thought this post was about ferry ports and boats, not airports and planes. We all have plenty of 'crazy' airline stories.

The worrying thing about this post is that security constraints could be applied to our cycling luggage on ferries.
wearwell

Post by wearwell »

simonhill wrote:I thought this post was about ferry ports and boats, not airports and planes. We all have plenty of 'crazy' airline stories.

The worrying thing about this post is that security constraints could be applied to our cycling luggage on ferries.

Yes that's why I posted it. Bike itself, tools/cooking/camping kit all potentially 'dangerous' in the eyes of an over zealous security op.
Where does it all go - were they just collecting stuff to sell on?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Our (already cutting it close for time) tour group got security screened at Dover this year. Off the bikes, we went through an airport-style gate, putting metal and rucksacks into trays that went through an x-ray machine, answering any questions.

Then we got back on the bikes and rode on, bikes, bar/saddlebags and panniers totally unchecked. Could've had 50 litres of explosives each, for all they knew, ready to park by the bow door. Security theatre at its finest.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
botty

Post by botty »

I now refuse to travel through Plymouth port for this very reason. It is perfectly legal to carry any sort of knife in public if you have good reason. The home office web site even says carrying a locking blade knife is acceptable for example when needing to prepare food when backpacking which in my mind equates to cycle touring off the beaten track.

Try telling the private security that at Plymouth (while camper vans embark behind you full of kitchen knives). They like to go after the easy targets.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'm heading over to NL next month with Stena, and having now checked their 'dangerous goods' FAQ page it says:

Sharp Objects

I did the Harwich to Hook of Holland route a couple of weeks ago - was xrayed on the way out (including the Brompton - that was a palaver!) but not on the way back. I don't think cyclists going into the hold get xrayed, certainly I didn't last year, nor do motorists. On the way back, my luggage was searched and a folding tool kit with a knife examined. It was deemed OK as it didn't have a blade longer than 3". There is definitely more security than there used to be.
When I go to France later in the year I'm going to buy a teeny Opinel knife when I get there, so I won't be too cross if it gets confiscated!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin