Visa Free travel to Russia During World Cup

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Visa Free travel to Russia During World Cup

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, don't know many details, but I heard Simon Calder on the radio the other day saying that now is a great time to visit Russia even if you are not interested in football.

UK Govt webpage here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/be-on-the-b ... d-cup-2018

Apparently if you have a ticket for a match, you don't need a visa. There are meant to be plenty of tickets available for the matches. Simon was flying into eastern Europe and going overland.

Given the cost and hassle of getting a Russian visa, this could be a great opportunity for anyone with a bit of spare time. Unfortunately, I'm touring elsewhere.
Tangled Metal

Re: Visa Free travel to Russia During World Cup

Post by Tangled Metal »

Didn't he give an example if a £30 match ticket on that radio news programme? £30 for effectively a visa in guessing is cheap.

Match ticket for a st Petersburg game and a match day visit to the hermitage with possibly no queues or crowds. Doubt you'd get many days like that there.
simonhill

Re: Visa Free travel to Russia During World Cup

Post by simonhill »

Yes, it was something like a £30 ticket.

Compare that with a normal tourist visa for over £100, plus 4 week wait, plus (I believe) a visit to visa centre to give biometric data.

Where is everyone's sense of adventure? On your bikes!