Which currency for India?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gregoryoftours

Re: Which currency for India?

Post by gregoryoftours »

The last time I was in India was in 2005 ish, by which time there were cash machines taking visa debit in most decent sized towns. I can't see you having any difficulty with just taking cards and a bit of sterling as backup. If you want to be sure you'd be better off checking forums such as lonely planet thorn tree. Nobody ever asked me for either GBP or USD in all my time in India.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

All (well mostly) good advice so far, so you should have it sorted by now. Just couple of points.

Some money changers 'miscount' the money they give you. This used to be very popular at the airport with weary arrivers not used to the coversion amount. Once pointed out, they would claim it was a mistake and would then give the correct amount. My advice is be prepared. Work out how much you should get before you get to change window.

A couple of years ago some notes were discontinued. Make sure you know which ones, as a tourist is a useful place to off load these.

Beware of ripped or damaged notes. You will find it hard to pass these on. If you don't like the look of them, just refuse to take them. No problem, it's what the Indians do.

Finally, play the change game. It is often difficult to use large notes so keep hold of your change whenever possible. Hide your small notes and only pull them out when you have to.

Have a great time, India is the ultimate wow country. You will keep finding yourself saying "wow".
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:For India you need rupees, it's what you will use everywhere except a few high class hotels. I agree, draw some out using ATM. If your main expenses are already paid, then you probably won't want much for 17 days. I used to live on less than a tenner a day for everything.

£10 is about 1000 rupees. You can certainly live on less than that a day (some Indians, of course, live on less than that a month) but you can equally easily blow that on one meal.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Interested to know whether € is a world currency

the euro is the black market currency since they stopped the 1000 dollar bill. the 500 euro note is only used by the criminal fraternity, several billions worth. if they wanted to trash the illegal activities around the planet they could do far worse than abolish the 500 euro note because nobody would be able to cash them in without questions being asked.

the ECB is fully aware of this but it props the euro up so does nothing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

crazydave789 wrote:

the euro is the black market currency since they stopped the 1000 dollar bill. the 500 euro note is only used by the criminal fraternity, several billions worth. if they wanted to trash the illegal activities around the planet they could do far worse than abolish the 500 euro note because nobody would be able to cash them in without questions being asked.

Never seen a €500 note, or even a €200

Apparently there are an awful lot of forged notes in circulation I read somewhere..

Went to the bank, the customer in front of me wanted to change some notes
Split a €90 note? Of course, said the cashier
Three €30 notes, or 2 @ €45? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:

Never seen a €500 note, or even a €200

Apparently there are an awful lot of forged notes in circulation I read somewhere..

Went to the bank, the customer in front of me wanted to change some notes

I stand corrected, they have stopped printing them but they remain legal tender.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 13621.html
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Went to the bank, the customer in front of me wanted to change some notes

Well, in the 80s, Burma (Myanmar as it's now known) had 45 and 90 kyat banknotes, assumed to be due to military dictator Ne Win's love of the number 9. He also issued a 75 kyat note supposedly to celebrate his 75th birthday, and 15 and 35 kyat notes for some bizarre numerology reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_kyat#1972-1988
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Alan O wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Went to the bank, the customer in front of me wanted to change some notes

Well, in the 80s, Burma (Myanmar as it's now known) had 45 and 90 kyat banknotes, assumed to be due to military dictator Ne Win's love of the number 9. He also issued a 75 kyat note supposedly to celebrate his 75th birthday, and 15 and 35 kyat notes for some bizarre numerology reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burmese_kyat#1972-1988

I always wondered why we didn't have a 99p coin.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

crazydave789 wrote:
Alan O wrote:I always wondered why we didn't have a 99p coin.

Then you'd require a 98p coin.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Warin61 wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:
Alan O wrote:I always wondered why we didn't have a 99p coin.

why? its a basic sales rule 9s and 5s people think they are getting a bargain if it is £5995 or £4.99 so we only need a 99p coin. which does away with a lot of pocket change.

mind you I like that idea of your change is given back to you on a smart card, can't remember which country is doing it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote:£10 is about 1000 rupees.
When I was in India in the RN late 1971, we had 18 Rupees to the Pound Sterling.
Going ashore, we could have got 36 Rupees to the Quid. :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

crazydave789 wrote:
Warin61 wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:

why? its a basic sales rule 9s and 5s people think they are getting a bargain if it is £5995 or £4.99 so we only need a 99p coin. which does away with a lot of pocket change.

Ar .. you still have the 1 p coin. Australia removed the 1 cent and 2 cent coins. So when it says $1.99 and you pay in cash you get charged $2. The sales gimmick is to get you to thing it is less than what you really pay. If there were a 99 cent coin then they'd charge$1.98 .. so you' think it were a lesser amount. Of course if you pay by card then you get the full 1 cent/p benefit (ignoring any government fees, banking fees, cost of card etc).
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Warin61 wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:
Warin61 wrote:

Ar .. you still have the 1 p coin. Australia removed the 1 cent and 2 cent coins. So when it says $1.99 and you pay in cash you get charged $2. The sales gimmick is to get you to thing it is less than what you really pay. If there were a 99 cent coin then they'd charge$1.98 .. so you' think it were a lesser amount. Of course if you pay by card then you get the full 1 cent/p benefit (ignoring any government fees, banking fees, cost of card etc).

no it would remain 1.99, the problem would be if you only had 99p coins as till staff usually end up paying their own till shorts.

I asked an independent DIY shop a few years back if they wanted cash or card. the owner sighed and said it made little difference because the banks charged him as much to put physical cash into his account as they did on card fees. paying by card just made it easier for him to cash up.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:£10 is about 1000 rupees.
When I was in India in the RN late 1971, we had 18 Rupees to the Pound Sterling.
Going ashore, we could have got 36 Rupees to the Quid. :shock:

Was/is that legal? I think it is illegal in some countries. Punishments may be severe

In Nederland 1+2c coins were withdrawn, prices are rounded down or up in 5c steps
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

IIRC India has coins down to 2 rupees. Items are priced to 1r.