shropshire union canal - crossing the mersey.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
crazydave789

shropshire union canal - crossing the mersey.

Post by crazydave789 »

at first I was trying to get my brother to do the Liverpool - leeds canal where I said I'd meet him at Lpool.

now I can get there by train or by bimbling up the shropshire union canal for a day or two. (anyone know how good the towpath is?)

but once I get to elsemere port what is considered the easiest way of crossing the river?
Richard Fairhurst

Re: shropshire union canal - crossing the mersey.

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

crazydave789 wrote:now I can get there by train or by bimbling up the shropshire union canal for a day or two. (anyone know how good the towpath is?)

The few bits that are part of the National Cycle Network or other cycle routes are fine.

Much of the rest of it is borderline uncyclable, sometimes not even walkable. South of Nantwich it's a late canal (1840s) and Thomas Telford built deep cuttings where all the rain drains onto the towpath. There are lots of lovely quiet lanes in the area - use those instead!

but once I get to elsemere port what is considered the easiest way of crossing the river?

Merseyrail trains, or the ferry. There's no cycling through the road tunnels (well, you're allowed to cycle through the Queensway tunnel overnight, but you'd have to be suicidal...).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:now I can get there by train or by bimbling up the shropshire union canal for a day or two. (anyone know how good the towpath is?)

The few bits that are part of the National Cycle Network or other cycle routes are fine.

Much of the rest of it is borderline uncyclable, sometimes not even walkable. South of Nantwich it's a late canal (1840s) and Thomas Telford built deep cuttings where all the rain drains onto the towpath. There are lots of lovely quiet lanes in the area - use those instead!

Merseyrail trains, or the ferry. There's no cycling through the road tunnels (well, you're allowed to cycle through the Queensway tunnel overnight, but you'd have to be suicidal...).

after 8pm or something as I understand it, the youtube vids don't look so bad.

ta for the rest very helpfull
hogkite

Post by hogkite »

The easiest way without riding would definitely be Merseyrail......there are a number of stations close to Ellesmere Port that will take you directly into Liverpool.

If you want to ride you could pick up the Wirral Country Trail close to Ellesmere Port and ride to either the ferry port and cross to Liverpool on the ferry or ride to Hamilton Square in Birkenhead and then take Merseyrail across direct into Liverpool. Personally I wouldn't ride the Wirral Country Trail on a road bike but perfect for Hybrid/MTB

The ferry can be relatively expensive/time consuming if you travel outside peak hours as you have to take the tour of the mersey if I recall correctly. Having said that worthwhile if you've never done it.
s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

I think mersetravel now have a "Walrus Card" that you load with a saveaway ticket that can be used on the ferry and not incur the high 'tourist fares of the ferries.

The Saveaway can be used on Trains buses and ferries for use after 0930 hrs

Stu
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Just for the record, we boated up the Shropshire Union this month from Wolverhampton to Nantwich and back, and I kept an eye on the towpath.

Even after such a long dry spell, the cuttings had significant muddy sections. There were tyre tracks so clearly some people had cycled them, but I wouldn't choose to do so.

The embankments and other level sections were generally dry but bumpy and unimproved - frequently just a grassy path. You'd be ok on an MTB but I wouldn't choose to ride it on my Croix de Fer.

There were very few cyclists on the towpath, especially compared to the Staffs & Worcs which had hundreds.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Just for the record, we boated up the Shropshire Union this month from Wolverhampton to Nantwich and back, and I kept an eye on the towpath.

Even after such a long dry spell, the cuttings had significant muddy sections. There were tyre tracks so clearly some people had cycled them, but I wouldn't choose to do so.

The embankments and other level sections were generally dry but bumpy and unimproved - frequently just a grassy path. You'd be ok on an MTB but I wouldn't choose to ride it on my Croix de Fer.

There were very few cyclists on the towpath, especially compared to the Staffs & Worcs which had hundreds.

Ta.