Which travel adaptor for India

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Which travel adaptor for India

Post by mnichols »

looking in my drawer of 'world-wide' travel adaptors it doesn't look like they will work in India

I've been on amazon, and it seems like they use a 3 round prong plug, which isn't on the world-wide adaptors

There are 3 round prong (type D) adaptors to UK 3 pin plug, but everything that I need to charge is USB.

I could take a UK USB adaptor, but this means carrying an extra thing

Does anyone know of an Indian USB charger? I could wait and get one in Delhi or maybe on the plane, but it would be nice to take one and have one less thing to do in Delhi

Thanks

Martin
Bmblbzzz

Re: Which travel adaptor for India

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Most Indian plugs, or rather sockets, are as you describe. They are Type D on the IEC list.
http://www.iec.ch/worldplugs/list_bytype.htm
I say sockets not plugs because in practice many items in India are sold with European-type two-pin plugs. These are a different type, but they fit. The voltage and frequency are the same as Europe (at least when the grid's working!).
You will also see some two-pin sockets as well as extra large three-pin round sockets, but not so often.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The normal practice is to take a 2 pin Euro style plug. Then you use something like the end cap from a Biro, pushed into the top (earth) hole to open the gate, then insert your plug into 2 lower holes. NB not recommending, just relating.

There's a good chance if you buy a charger in India it will be 2 prong anyway (as said above).

I used this method recently in Sri Lanka for a charger, electric, kettle, etc. Still here to tell the tale.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks Both, that's helpful

so from what you are saying, unless something is inserted in the top hole then it won't work? I'll take a byro cap just incase
mjr

Post by mjr »

mnichols wrote:Thanks Both, that's helpful

so from what you are saying, unless something is inserted in the top hole then it won't work? I'll take a byro cap just incase

It depends - shutters are optional but I think widespread. Type D and M plugs used in India are other descendents of BS 546 which gave rise to our rectangular 3-pins in 1947. Far too much detail on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_ ... ated_types
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.