Midges in Scotland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Barks

Midges in Scotland

Post by Barks »

I know that the midges in Scotland build in numbers from spring into summer but could someone pls advise when they start to decline and finally cease to be an issue? (I am thinking of a tour to West Scotland sometime from mid Sep to end of Oct).
feefee8

Re: Midges in Scotland

Post by feefee8 »

It can depend on the summer but they start tailing off in September, probably not much biting after mid-September.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

It also depends where you are and how warm it is and has been.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G930F using hovercraft full of eels.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Can vary a lot from place to place even in a small aera. Never had an issue on most of the islands with the exception of Rum! Was there last year visited Muck, Canna, Eigg and Rum. Only place I saw a midge was on Rum and oh my did I see a lot of them! At the moment it would seem that Glencoe is a good place to avoid...
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

In general they seem to be well in decline by the end of September, but we do seem to be having another interesting year in terms of weather, so who knows!
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Awful!
Pitch your tent in the wind away from water and you'll be ok.
Take spray deodorant and spray inside the tent at night....that kills them.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Arran is awful.
Kinlochleven scary.

Barks

Post by Barks »

Thanks to all - I particularly liked the ‘Smidge’ forecasting link. Looks like mid Sept then but still taking repellant, head net and mesh inner tent.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Now starts the debate on which repellent!

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

i bet the midges are out in force the last few heatwave days?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

mercalia wrote:i bet the midges are out in force the last few heatwave days?

IME they're not particularly linked to hot days, just calm ones. I've been thoroughly feasted upon over mild evenings.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

do the midges carry any diseases like Lymes?
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

mercalia wrote:do the midges carry any diseases like Lymes?

None that I'm aware of. Just the ferocious eating and spoiling of outdoor activities of an evening!

You won't see them much in direct sunlight but once that starts dipping in the west, and usually the breeze goes with it, that's when you become fodder.

Clegs are pretty bad this year too. I'm not a fan of midges but I really, really don't like clegs and their bites.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

feefee8 wrote:

None that I'm aware of. Just the ferocious eating and spoiling of outdoor activities of an evening!

You won't see them much in direct sunlight but once that starts dipping in the west, and usually the breeze goes with it, that's when you become fodder.

I haven't detected any obvious shortage in direct sun, TBH. They may get worse in the evening, but on West coast terms that goes from past intolerable to even worse than past intolerable...
I've never heard of any diseases from them, but some people react much more than others. My wife gets an itchy bump from each bite while I get a small red disc I don't notice other than visually that's gone the next day. So they're annoying to me, but much worse than that for those who react a lot.

feefee8 wrote:Clegs are pretty bad this year too. I'm not a fan of midges but I really, really don't like clegs and their bites.

Clegs aka Horse Flies. Big flies with a nasty bite that will go through a thin top quite easily. They don't come in clouds like midges do, but a bite is a clear "ow!" rather than slowly building irritation.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

I react badly. I was bitten on Friday and still have a raised itchy bump.

Taking antihistamine for 2 weeks before being attacked and during the holiday can help.

feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

pjclinch wrote:
feefee8 wrote:

I haven't detected any obvious shortage in direct sun, TBH. They may get worse in the evening, but on West coast terms that goes from past intolerable to even worse than past intolerable...

Pete.

They are definitely much less noticeable in the daytime. I work in Fort William and we can sit out for lunch on a sunny day and get no bites 8) 8) . I doubt I'd be able to do the same for dinner tonight!