Old fashioned cycle odometer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Old fashioned cycle odometer

Post by MrsHJ »

I'd like one of those non electronic, no battery distance measures you used to attach to ?the hub ? the wheel for my new bike. I know I sometimes forget to attach my cycle computer or it runs low on battery or has a blink problem with rain. I'd like something I can ignore that just goes on tallying up the miles.

Any ideas or am I misremembering ?
mercalia

Re: Old fashioned cycle odometer

Post by mercalia »

do an Ebay search - seems lots there

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=7294&_odkw=cycle+odometer&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=classic+cycle+odometer&_sacat=7294

but not those tiny ones that attached near the hub that went click click as the wheel turned its little wheel around

ah search for CYCLOMETER gives more

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=CYCLOMETER+&_sacat=0

even for 26" wheels :shock:

THESE ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR BIKES WITH QUICK RELEASE FRONT SPINDLES
says one advert. quite what that means dont know whether its the spindle dimensions or just the removal method
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You can't ignore a cyclometer because it makes a tick at every revolution, unless you fit it with something like an (obsolete?) valve rubber.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mercalia wrote:do an Ebay search - seems lots there

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=7294&_odkw=cycle+odometer&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=classic+cycle+odometer&_sacat=7294

but not those tiny ones that attached near the hub that went click click as the wheel turned its little wheel around

ah search for CYCLOMETER gives more

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=CYCLOMETER+&_sacat=0

even for 26" wheels :shock:

says one advert. quite what that means dont know whether its the spindle dimensions or just the removal method

Thank you for that- I couldn’t remember the right terms to search under. The second one is what I’m remembering and thinking of....for my new Nomad which will indeed be 26”.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

thirdcrank wrote:You can't ignore a cyclometer because it makes a tick at every revolution, unless you fit it with something like an (obsolete?) valve rubber.

I can’t remember the click but that’s probably because when I was a kid and had these there was enough other noise at the same time. I will reflect!

Wondering as well where you fit it and agree - what’s the problem with quick release wheels.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The only issue was what was said in one of the adverts -
was referring to one of the small ones. not sure what it reallty means, whether the adapter that holds the device just wont fit on a QR spindle or what ever. I see some are quite expensive other wise you might have to suck it and see ?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mercalia wrote:The only issue was what was said in one of the adverts -
was referring to one of the small ones. not sure what it reallty means, whether the adapter that holds the device just wont fit on a QR spindle or what ever. I see some are quite expensive other wise you might have to suck it and see ?

I've taken the leap with one of the old unused (not super expensive though) ones rather than a new retro one on eBay. The new retro Ines seem to have poor reviews for things breaking. I'm assuming that there may be some bodge required -otherwise will be reselling! I found a similar thread from ten years ago on here and the poster did get it going but found it noisy.

I am just terrible at remembering to switch stuff on and I'd love a permanent, non deletable version of the distance I've done on the new bike.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I regard my old Cateye Mity 3 as the amost perfect cycle computer/odometer.
The total distance can be ( re) entered manually when the batteries run out (or are replaced before they do!). So you never have to go back to zero!!
Has two bike facility , with different wheel sizes, so you can swop it over onto different bikes.
Trip.
Average speed
A clock.
And auto start; auto /on and off.
Batteries last for years.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

MrsHJ wrote:

I've taken the leap with one of the old unused (not super expensive though) ones rather than a new retro one on eBay. The new retro Ines seem to have poor reviews for things breaking. I'm assuming that there may be some bodge required -otherwise will be reselling! I found a similar thread from ten years ago on here and the poster did get it going but found it noisy.

I am just terrible at remembering to switch stuff on and I'd love a permanent, non deletable version of the distance I've done on the new bike.

next you will get a bottle dyno? well B&M have stopped making theirs :wink:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

mercalia wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:

next you will get a bottle dyno? well B&M have stopped making theirs :wink:

Ha-nope-i genuinely always forget to switch stuff like computers on or they bloody go on the blink so this is an attempt to introduce a constant to my new bike. I'll share the eBay link when i sell it if I've had enough clicking or it's not working as I hoped!

I was offered the thorn dyno and couldn't see the point- I always carry a couple of little lights for use as and when needed. Top tip when in the tunnel-if it's bloody dark-you've forgotten to put your lights on.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

MrsHJ wrote:Wondering as well where you fit it and agree - what’s the problem with quick release wheels.

It mounts on the hub axle, to be held by the wheel nut. You should be able to fit it without any problem but your wheel will no longer be quick release - you'll have to remove the skewer if you need to take the wheel out. And you may need to buy a longer skewer, or just use nuts.

I once killed one off after just 70 miles when, going fast downhill, the little star-wheel started to spin too far so that the striker started to hit the tip of the 'rays' with a great "boinnng". I was afraid the spoke would break so I removed the whole thing. On the other hand we had one on our tandem which did several thousand miles and I'm sure we got up to higher speeds.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

You can't ignore a cyclometer because it makes a tick at every revolution, unless you fit it with something like an (obsolete?) valve rubber.

Try a Huret one which was belt driven!!! No ticking.
I have one, but you can't sync to Strava!!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I regard my old Cateye Mity 3 as the amost perfect cycle computer/odometer.
The total distance can be ( re) entered manually when the batteries run out (or are replaced before they do!). So you never have to go back to zero!!
Has two bike facility , with different wheel sizes, so you can swop it over onto different bikes.
Trip.
Average speed
A clock.
And auto start; auto /on and off.
Batteries last for years.

Nowt wrong with a basic computer. The main problem is that they are all removable and no doubt a chance some idiot teen will take it off when wandering by or if I remove it nightly there is 100% chance I’ll forget to put it back. I think I used to have a wired one that I just left in place but maybe I’m misremembering.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Wouldn't it be possible to knock up a simple bracket to mount it a little further up the fork and thereby avoid any problems with the QR?
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

LollyKat wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:Wondering as well where you fit it and agree - what’s the problem with quick release wheels.

It mounts on the hub axle, to be held by the wheel nut. You should be able to fit it without any problem but your wheel will no longer be quick release - you'll have to remove the skewer if you need to take the wheel out. And you may need to buy a longer skewer, or just use nuts.

I once killed one off after just 70 miles when, going fast downhill, the little star-wheel started to spin too far so that the striker started to hit the tip of the 'rays' with a great "boinnng". I was afraid the spoke would break so I removed the whole thing. On the other hand we had one on our tandem which did several thousand miles and I'm sure we got up to higher speeds.

One on eBay at the moment includes a photo of the instruction sheet, in which it states "This cyclometer must not be driven at speeds in excess of 18 to 19 mph", or words to that effect.