Shetland, must ride roads

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gloomyandy

Shetland, must ride roads

Post by gloomyandy »

We are visiting Shetland for the next two weeks, first week on the "main" island, second on Yell. Have bikes with us. We have been here before and seen many of the major tourist locations, so I'm mainly looking for recommendations for good roads/loops/places to ride. Ideally day loops, up to about 50 miles (but shorter is fine). Also is it worth taking the bike out to any of the smaller islands for a day trip? Will be having a day or two on Unst, but not sure about some of the others. Thanks for any recommendations.
rualexander

Re: Shetland, must ride roads

Post by rualexander »

A good circular ride would be Aith to Voe via 'the alps' road then through North and South Nesting on the coastal road, complete the circuit by cutting across the mainland via Setter and Bixter.
All of Shetland is pretty good really, in decent weather anyway!
Longer circular routes are few in number though.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Thanks that looks like an interesting loop. We are staying just along the road from Bixter at Tresta so it would work very well. Lovely sunny day here today, pity about the 25 mph winds! As a result we've not ventured out on the bike, but spent a great day, exploring some of the beaches we haven't visited before!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Just back from riding "the alps" and a very enjoyable route. Lovely road surfaces and very quiet roads.
Martin_Edney

Post by Martin_Edney »

I'd recommend Unst, and if your bike will handle it, go out across the boards to Muckle Flugga (if not for the name, at least so you can say you've been to the most northerly point of the UK).

On Mainland, if you can, try to avoid the main A970, especially near Lerwick, especially around rush hour. We found some drivers were really aggressive and frightening, and traffic levels were heavy. Further south on Mainland was fine, the loop around Aith, Voe and Brae waas fine, and Yell and Unst were a delight.

I hope this helps.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Martin_Edney wrote:I'd recommend Unst, and if your bike will handle it, go out across the boards to Muckle Flugga (if not for the name, at least so you can say you've been to the most northerly point of the UK).

What are "the boards to Muckle Flugga"?
Surely you can't get a bike out to Muckle Flugga, and even if you can get a boat trip there, not much point in taking a bike?!
And it isn't the most northerly point of the UK, Out Stack is.
molly

Post by molly »

Some of the path from the car park at Hermaness has been maintained by using wooden walkways, I assume this is whats meant by 'the boards'. The path takes you to the most northerly accessible point of the UK and it is well worth the trouble. From there you can see Muckle Flugga and the Out Stack beyond, both uninhabited therefore I'm sure you could claim to be the most northerly person in the UK