Eurotunnel or ferries?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Graham

Re: Eurotunnel or ferries?

Postby Graham » 2 Jul 2018, 2:20pm

^
Please avoid unnecessary unpleasantness in your arguments.

Sorry, I won't be spending time reviewing and editing reported concerns.

Thornyone

Postby Thornyone » 2 Jul 2018, 4:10pm

mjr wrote:
Thornyone wrote:I suffer from extreme claustrophobia and so could not travel through the tunnel. But in any case I think that using it would destroy a lot of the sense of occasion: seeing the cliffs recede on one side and then the open sea, there is the feeling of remoteness about one’s destination. How does anyone know, going into a hole in the ground, that they have really travelled abroad and not been whisked away into a giant theme park somewhere outside Birmingham? :shock:

How do you know that hasn't happened any time when you close your eyes? :eek:

Your claustrophobia sounds pretty extreme. The channel tunnel is 7½m wide and I think the carriages are much wider than our usual 3m-ish trains.

I never close my eyes when travelling because I always want to know what’s happening :lol:.
Re the claustrophobia, I call my issue that, but it is actually cleithrophobia, which is little known even to most medics. Though similar to claustrophobia, there are significant differences. Unfortunately a 7.5m tunnel doesn’t really help, because the chief issue is not being able to get out when I want to, which is also why I can’t fly or use lifts, or even modern trains where I can’t open the door myself. I’ve had CBT in the past but it wasn’t a great help.

crazydave789

Postby crazydave789 » 2 Jul 2018, 5:28pm

Thornyone wrote:I suffer from extreme claustrophobia and so could not travel through the tunnel. But in any case I think that using it would destroy a lot of the sense of occasion: seeing the cliffs recede on one side and then the open sea, there is the feeling of remoteness about one’s destination. How does anyone know, going into a hole in the ground, that they have really travelled abroad and not been whisked away into a giant theme park somewhere outside Birmingham? :shock:

the theme parks outside brum aren't so bad. could be worse you could end up in ......FRANCE...

Slowroad

Postby Slowroad » 2 Jul 2018, 8:46pm

Guys, please can you stop arguing in my thread? I think you have made your points. :-)
Thanks for all the comments about Eurotunnel, I gave them a call this morning and it is £20 each way for cycle & cyclist on two services a day - 8am and 15:30 going out, 12:30 and 18:00 coming home. You can't book on line, you have to ring.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin

chocjohn9

Postby chocjohn9 » 2 Jul 2018, 8:48pm

The eurotunnel service is good, no question, but last time i checked it only ran twice a day in each direction. 10am ish and 4pm ish. Meanwhile you can simply turn up and pay £20 and go on the next ferry. Once i remember puncturing and having to really having to bolt for it to catch the eurotunnel, which wasnt great......

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 2 Jul 2018, 9:27pm

Used the hovercraft from Pegwell Bay many years ago, it combined the disadvantages of the other methods
Noisy, cramped, fast :wink:
Alternative facts welcome
Cycling? Of course, but it is far better on a Gillott