Crossing the Mersey on Sunday/ by train

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

Crossing the Mersey on Sunday/ by train

Postby SA_SA_SA » 10 Jul 2018, 11:47am

I discovered the Mersey ferries don't run till later on Sundays, which is inconvenient if have stepped off an Irish Sea ferry arriving at 6.30am :) so I got the train but....

although advised by local cyclist (at Seacombe) to goto Birkenhead Park (I think) possibly because it was on route of the then diversion from the ferry port (gone now due to new bridge) but I recognised Hamilton Square first and thinking as an all underground station it would have huge lifts, went there...... but the lifts to the line under the mersey are tiny, hard to find and required luggage removal and bike held vertically: similarly when I got of at James St the same tiny lift: ( :

so I presume it would have been better to use different stations (eg Birkenhead Park as suggested?) and Lime Street in order to get bigger lifts are avoid the need for lifts? Any local knowledge?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

in4time

Re: Crossing the Mersey on Sunday/ by train

Postby in4time » 10 Jul 2018, 3:57pm

Ride to Conway Park Station, not too far from ferry, about 1.5 miles and there is a bigger lift there.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 10 Jul 2018, 8:21pm

Thanks, and where is best to get off in liverpool? :----

Lime street lower level?

(anywhere near pier head or on way to Leeds and liverpool canal start will do).

crazydave789

Postby crazydave789 » 13 Jul 2018, 3:50pm

cool you doing L-L then, I'm trying to get my brother to do it with me later this summer. I was thinking to bimbling up the shropshire union cross the mersey ditch and was wondering the best way as well.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 13 Jul 2018, 9:42pm

crazydave789 wrote:cool you doing L-L then, I'm trying to get my brother to do it with me later this summer. I was thinking to bimbling up the shropshire union cross the mersey ditch and was wondering the best way as well.

(was) Just cycling to the York Rally, last year cycled Liverpool to Colne on the canal, this year just to the outskirts of liverpool then more of mix of canal and roads. So far lime street seems the best place to get off.

crazydave789

Postby crazydave789 » 14 Jul 2018, 12:41am

SA_SA_SA wrote:
crazydave789 wrote:cool you doing L-L then, I'm trying to get my brother to do it with me later this summer. I was thinking to bimbling up the shropshire union cross the mersey ditch and was wondering the best way as well.

(was) Just cycling to the York Rally, last year cycled Liverpool to Colne on the canal, this year just to the outskirts of liverpool then more of mix of canal and roads. So far lime street seems the best place to get off.

I've done it by boat so quite fancied doing it by bike. maybe throwing the bike onto someones boat to help with wigan flight again.

in4time

Postby in4time » 14 Jul 2018, 3:13pm

Get off at James Street. Up in the lift to street level. Turn right down towards the river front. Walk over the n+ lanes road that stands between you and the river and you're good to go.

SA_SA_SA

Postby SA_SA_SA » 15 Jul 2018, 8:01pm

in4time wrote:Get off at James Street. Up in the lift to street level. Turn right down towards the river front. Walk over the n+ lanes road that stands between you and the river and you're good to go.

But the platform lift in James Street is really small requiring panniers (of camping stuff) removal etc and bike held vertically: hence my desire to find somewhere with bigger lifts/ no lifts required.