Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
boris
Posts: 402
Joined: 5 Nov 2010, 1:58pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby boris » 13 Jul 2018, 12:13pm

Sweep wrote:
boris wrote:http://www.dx.com/p/hoco-b20a-portable-dual-usb-20000mah-external-power-bank-black-482929#.W0T1JLgnbIU

I have got something like this from Dx and it seems to work very well.

Interesting - had it long?


actually mine is not available now, it is a Xaiomi Mi 16000. The one pointed to looks bigger and mine has no screen.
a couple of years . It has not had heavy use but goes on holiday especially and long days out, mainly to keep the phone and headphones or earpiece running as a sat-nav with OSMAND. I also have a large battery in my galaxy S4.http://www.batteryupgrade.co.uk/shopBrowser.php?assortmentProductId=63296851&shopGroupId=10578501&tracker=adwords_uk_GP-pla_PDA&gdataKwd=&gdataType=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI34fV4fib3AIVzLTtCh04nAhNEAQYAyABEgJ5qfD_BwE#/assortmentProductId/63296851/shopGroupId/10578501

crazydave789
Posts: 581
Joined: 22 Jul 2017, 10:21pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby crazydave789 » 13 Jul 2018, 3:42pm

I picked up a Hiluckey solar last year that worked for me. the missus takes it on scout camps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hiluckey-10000 ... rger&psc=1

many of the cheap packs now have charge through as standard, last year I had to search for one I could use with a dynamo and went with zendure A1 as they were a good price with good reviews. I picked up one of these to try a week or so ago as it has a rather effective torch with it but also charge through.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2600mAh-Port ... 2749.l2649

very handy arounf the youse the only downside is the power button is a but sensitive and It would need some tape to waterproof it but it can work as a camp torch or helmet light. clips into these nicely to store or use as a handlebar bracket

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holder-Bicycle ... NQAW345DJW

most batteries fail to deliver what they state, some of it is due to the power requirements as below a certain level phones will cease to charge and if still turned on will just eat power for no benefit.

I worked out that a battery too flat to charge my phones will still run my front light, or i can run my light off battery and maximise the charge from my dynamo setup.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3957
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jul 2018, 1:29pm

So aukey our anker?

What is the best for us? Us consists of two mobile phones for two weeks.

We've only had Tesco packs and 10,000 rated ones. Basically they don't take charge quickly, hold it well enough and release it to the phones quick enough. It can take 12 hours to charge 10,000 and still not fill it. Then phones don't take charge efficiently. Takes too long.

Ideally £20 fast to charge up and doesn't seem reluctant to give up its charge to phones while losing it easily when nothing is plugged in.

MrsHJ
Posts: 529
Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 1:03pm
Location: Dartmouth, Devon.

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby MrsHJ » 26 Jul 2018, 11:17pm

Tangled Metal wrote:So aukey our anker?

What is the best for us? Us consists of two mobile phones for two weeks.

We've only had Tesco packs and 10,000 rated ones. Basically they don't take charge quickly, hold it well enough and release it to the phones quick enough. It can take 12 hours to charge 10,000 and still not fill it. Then phones don't take charge efficiently. Takes too long.

Ideally £20 fast to charge up and doesn't seem reluctant to give up its charge to phones while losing it easily when nothing is plugged in.


-I take my power monkey. It's probably a bit outdated now. It has a solar charger too. I was recommended an anker to replace it but I reckon I'll keep it for a bit,
-I also take a really short hookup for campsites.
- I've been recommend to get a battery case- this carries a couple of extra charge for your phone as part of a bulky case, haven't tried it yet but it's on my list for my September tour. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightning-Head ... ase+iphone
-I've been looking seriously at getting a bike charger but the price tag is pretty hefty. Those who have them seem to love them though.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 4213
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Sweep » 27 Jul 2018, 11:35am

Tangled Metal wrote:So aukey our anker?

What is the best for us? Us consists of two mobile phones for two weeks.

We've only had Tesco packs and 10,000 rated ones. Basically they don't take charge quickly, hold it well enough and release it to the phones quick enough. It can take 12 hours to charge 10,000 and still not fill it. Then phones don't take charge efficiently. Takes too long.

Ideally £20 fast to charge up and doesn't seem reluctant to give up its charge to phones while losing it easily when nothing is plugged in.


How much were the Tesco ones Tangled?

Taking a long time to charge, unless its one of the newer fast charge type, isn't necessarily a bad point. Anker ones aren't fast - 10 to 13 hours maybe.

I> do rate anker and was just wondering if the cheaper aukey things were up to the job.

Recently bought one of these Ankers:

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/anker ... o-a1214011

to supplement my 20100 anker.

Going to pause a while I think in buying more - even though I could do with more capacity - for a while as I have the impression that the technology is on the move.
Sweep

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3957
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2018, 11:43am

Perhaps not really that long. The tesco one(s) probably overnight and part of the day (not sure if I only have one from Tesco or more). I have them from a few sources such as wilkos or supermarkets. Not good ones I think.

The Tesco and similar ones tend to be 5000 odd rated but the last one (wilkos) was 10,000 and I think I gave up checking it after second night of charging.

I think you can do things to help the charging but I'm not up on that. I think the charging source is important. It can get plugs and packs to go between the pack and the socket to help. I think some packs have two feed in sockets so you can power from two plug sockets but I could be wrong it's something I read before they became of interest so half took it in.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 4213
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Sweep » 27 Jul 2018, 11:52am

Tangled Metal wrote:Perhaps not really that long. The tesco one(s) probably overnight and part of the day (not sure if I only have one from Tesco or more). I have them from a few sources such as wilkos or supermarkets. Not good ones I think.

The Tesco and similar ones tend to be 5000 odd rated but the last one (wilkos) was 10,000 and I think I gave up checking it after second night of charging.

I think you can do things to help the charging but I'm not up on that. I think the charging source is important. It can get plugs and packs to go between the pack and the socket to help. I think some packs have two feed in sockets so you can power from two plug sockets but I could be wrong it's something I read before they became of interest so half took it in.


You also need to check the charger. Some chargers are only 1A. Ankers can use a 2A.
Sweep

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3957
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2018, 12:31pm

I tend to use a multi socket one with a 2A and 4 lower rated ones. Need a better one really.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 3615
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby RickH » 27 Jul 2018, 10:27pm

Sweep wrote:You also need to check the charger. Some chargers are only 1A. Ankers can use a 2A.

My Anker powerbank has 2x 2A micro USB charging inputs. I also have a 6 way 60W Anker USB charger that can power both inputs with 2A each & charge other stuff at the same time. So everything can get charged while the battery is on charge as and when I have access to 230V power.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3957
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Tangled Metal » 30 Jul 2018, 3:04pm

Forgive my poor memory on the matter but I've forgotten what I learnt in electrical engineering modules at uni. 1W = 1A x 1V. 60W÷230V=0.26Amperes output. Is that right? Or is it 6x that at 1.565A.

2x2A x 230V = 920 W input or 153W per socket. Which means output is 39% efficiency at on 61% is lost in the charger.

I'm just trying to work out in my head whether it's better to have same power rating with fewer sockets because each socket would charge quicker with better efficiency. Is it even that simple? More sockets give less out to each socket and there comes a more efficient number of charging sockets?

Warin61
Posts: 157
Joined: 16 Nov 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Warin61 » 30 Jul 2018, 11:42pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Forgive my poor memory on the matter but I've forgotten what I learnt in electrical engineering modules at uni. 1W = 1A x 1V. 60W÷230V=0.26Amperes output. Is that right?


Correct so far.

Tangled Metal wrote:2x2A x 230V =


Error .. error ...

it is

2 x2A x 5v (usb is 5 v nominal) = 20 watts.

This is the input power. All the above are power calculations .. in Watts.

However batteries store energy. Energy is power x time .. Watt hours if you like those units.
So the charging the unit might be 20 watts.. but take 10 hours to charge. 200 watt hours total energy in.

To get efficiency you need energy comparisons, not power comparisons for battery in/out things.

If your not comparing battery type things then power is fine - as there is no storage over time. But you need to get the combinations correct - input for mains powered stuff input will be 230 v, usb stuff in/out will be 5 v. Don't get them mixed up.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 3957
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Tangled Metal » 31 Jul 2018, 10:35am

The input into the charger is 230v but the charger gives it 5v via each USB socket. If your battery pack takes two USB inputs that's 2x5v = 10v in?

I'm trying to work out if there's a faster way to charge. So using a high watt rated charger with multiple output sockets. If they're all being used then what is the likelihood that the two sockets feeding the battery pack isn't giving it as much energy as it could be taking thus increasing the time to charge?

If one charger has 60w rating with 6 sockets and another has 60w with 2 sockets does this effect the rate two sockets can be used to charge a battery pack taking only two sockets input? Or is it likely that the 60w rated charger will be able to feed 2, 4 or 6 sockets just as well because the limit is in the battery taking the energy provider?

Is it best to charge one thing at a time or load it all up?

I'm wondering if a 2, 4 or 6 socket charger is best to get fit a tour. We could as easily rotate gadgets being charged by the charger or battery pack. So we could get by charging consecutively but we do need the battery pack to be charged ASAP.

Warin61
Posts: 157
Joined: 16 Nov 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby Warin61 » 31 Jul 2018, 11:54pm

Tangled Metal wrote:The input into the charger is 230v but the charger gives it 5v via each USB socket. If your battery pack takes two USB inputs that's 2x5v = 10v in?


No. Your better off considering each USB inputs separately. So, for example input A is 1 Amp - 5 x 1 = 5 watts, input B is 2.1 Amp - 5 x 2.1 = 10.5 watts, giving a total of 15.5 watts.

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm trying to work out if there's a faster way to charge. So using a high watt rated charger with multiple output sockets. If they're all being used then what is the likelihood that the two sockets feeding the battery pack isn't giving it as much energy as it could be taking thus increasing the time to charge?


Depends. USB charging devices will only consume up to some maximum current, some may be limited to a maximum of 1 Amp - the older standard stipulated a 1 Amp max, some might take up to 2 Amps... what your devices will take depends on there ratings and the state of the battery. One device may become fully charged before the other devices, so its USB current will decrease to virtually 0 then.

If 4 of your devices want to take 2 Amps each ... 4 x 2 x 5 = 40 watts .. and you have a 30 watt charger .. then it will not charge as fast as a 40 watt charger, but a 60 watt charger will not gain any time over the 40 watt charger.

Too many variables. If you want fast, and simple calculations - assume everything is flat and taking its maximum charge. Get a USB charger with that many USB sockets, and at least that much power. Some consider a more powerful charger will be more reliabler than a charger better matched to the load, this is because it will run cooler and place less stress on its internal components.

Tangled Metal wrote:Is it best to charge one thing at a time or load it all up?


Your 'best' may not be my 'best'. :)

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 10152
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: Aukey powerbanks - opinions?

Postby mjr » 11 Aug 2018, 8:30pm

RickH wrote:My Anker powerbank has 2x 2A micro USB charging inputs. I also have a 6 way 60W Anker USB charger that can power both inputs with 2A each & charge other stuff at the same time. So everything can get charged while the battery is on charge as and when I have access to 230V power.

I doubt Anker do it, but some brands advertise their chargers as having 4 x 2A outputs, but they cannot supply 2A to all 4 at the same time, as the maximum total supply is lower than 8A. Buyer beware!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.