Airports on your own

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

Airports on your own

Post by Phil66 »

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anybody has any advice for travel by air with a bike when on your own. I've always managed to get dropped at Heathrow by a friend, so easy. Next flight is from Gatwick and I'll have to drive myself and park, this means getting my bike and bag on the transfer bus, a bit tricky if its busy. Just wondering if any body has any suggestions that would help. The bike will be boxed in a halfords box.

Cheers all.
foxyrider

Re: Airports on your own

Post by foxyrider »

You want to try getting to the railway station, on a busy train then hoiking packed bike etc from station to check in at Manchester. Nightmare - especially if you don't want to be robbed for a trolley!

Don't think there's an easy way to do it except to use as few separate bits of luggage as possible.

Have a good trip
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Some years ago,travelling with my wife ,hence two bikes plus panniers,the driver refused to let us board the bus which was empty.
Company policy was the answer to my questioning.
Following this I opted for valet parking.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've never had trouble when using National Express with a rolling holdall and bike bag.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'v gotten to Gatwick on my own by two different means. Once, i took the train with a bagged bike and panniers packed into a duffel bag. The train was very crowded, and I spent the entire journey standing, jammed up against my bike and luggage.

The other time, I rode my bike (from a friend's house in Hanwell) and got there well in advance (almost 4 hours before my flight) and packed my bike in a CTC bike bag when I got there. Outside of a little trouble finding the bike route, it all went very smoothly, and was a far more comfortable experience than the train.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

Last year I had a fabric bag for my bike but only put the bike into it once in the airport. Makes it much easier to wheel across the car park with panniers on. I practiced at home first so I knew which bits to remove or adjust and the whole took about 5 minutes at each end. This year I'm using a bike box, I think, as a bit more protection means peace of mind.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Park in short term carpark which is a trolley push from terminal. Take bike to left luggage. Return to car, take to long stay, return.

Depending on who you are flying with you may have time to check in then do the car transfer to save left luggage charge.

I've battled with this many times so maybe can offer other solutions, but would need more info.

As I say, travelling on a bike is heaven, travelling with a bike is hell.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I've never left my car when with the bike but I like the purple parking meet and greet- should avoid the nasty bus man and is good value with a premier inn the night before.

For the trolleys dimensions are an issue as I'm sure you know. I've long meant to take some long bungees to help with packed bike drift i.e. So it's contained on the trolley.

I have flown by myself before or using public transport/cycling to the airport and we just took the bikes complete and then bagged them up in the departures hall. I've always though that as a lot easier for bikes as they are beautiful forms of transport but total pigs to move around when packed up. I realise this doesn't suit everyone.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Another option.

If you fly Emirates business class you get free chauffeur driven car (or people carrier on request). Probably not for everyone.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

The last time I went from Gatwick was with Easyjet. It was an early flight and I was able to book in my ( bagged) bike the night before.
My son dropped me off though I could have used a train - I had a good deal on a premier Inn next to the terminal and stayed the night before.
Coming back ( from Alicante ), I packed the bike when I was in the terminal.
I did the same in Vienna.
I'm a reluctant flier ( too much hassle and time wasting ) and much prefer the train.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If you stay overnight in a nearby hotel, many offer free parking. If you are away for more than a few days, that often works out cheaper than paying for parking.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Antonish - where did you find out about pre booking in your bike and how did you arrange it ? Sounds great, but I wasn't aware that it was available at Gatwick.

Vorpal. I was going to stay in one of those hotels, but the budget one I looked at was away from airport and a bus was needed to get you to the terminal. You then run into the "will they take my bike on the bus?" question.

To get round the early morning hassle, I have slept on the floor of Gatwick a few times.
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:Antonish - where did you find out about pre booking in your bike and how did you arrange it ? Sounds great, but I wasn't aware that it was available at Gatwick.

I'm not Antonish and my memory is fuzzy (I don't fly often and airports all look samey to me) but I think I remember this at Gatwick (95% sure) and it's only offered for early flights. Maybe before 8am.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

simonhill wrote:Antonish - where did you find out about pre booking in your bike and how did you arrange it ? Sounds great, but I wasn't aware that it was available at Gatwick.

Vorpal. I was going to stay in one of those hotels, but the budget one I looked at was away from airport and a bus was needed to get you to the terminal. You then run into the "will they take my bike on the bus?" question.

To get round the early morning hassle, I have slept on the floor of Gatwick a few times.

A lot of the park and fly options work with a separate car parking supplier- certainly premier inn do and that’s one of the reasons we use the premier inn one as we drive into the short term parking (at Heathrow) and leave the car there on the morning after our overnight sleep and walk with a trolley into the terminal- very easy. Purple parking then take the car off site somewhere until we get back and then the process is reversed.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hoisted by my own petard - use google if in doubt.

Just googled it and found this on easyjet London Gatwick page http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparin ... ck-airport

" Can I drop my hold luggage off the night before?

If the flight you have booked leaves London Gatwick before 08.30 you can drop off your hold luggage at the easyJet Bag Drop area from 20:00 until midnight the night before. "