Airports on your own

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Airports on your own

Post by mjr »

Antbrewer wrote:Suffice to say that my trip was a success albeit incredibly hard at times. The Salzgkammergut route officially is graded by the Austrian Tourist people as 'Intermediate'. God knows what 'Hard ' must be like as I found this really tough in places. This probably says more about my fitness than the route though.

Maybe not - I've ridden one of their "easy" routes near Kitzbühel and concluded that their gradings are done by mountain goats!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Antbrewer wrote:Suffice to say that my trip was a success albeit incredibly hard at times. The Salzgkammergut route officially is graded by the Austrian Tourist people as 'Intermediate'. God knows what 'Hard ' must be like as I found this really tough in places. This probably says more about my fitness than the route though.

Maybe not - I've ridden one of their "easy" routes near Kitzbühel and concluded that their gradings are done by mountain goats!

Living in Norway, I've learned that this is definitely a matter of perspective!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Antbrewer wrote:Accommodation was also difficult at times as there are fewer 'Zimmer frei houses available now . So Gasthauses and small hotels was often called on.

One way in which the world has changed is that, since the arrival of online reservations, there's a lot of accommodation available that's completely invisible on the street, and you'll only find it by looking at booking.com or similar apps.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Also with the advent of the mobile phone, there are places that you find, but there is no one there, only a phone number or some form of auto pay/check in with instructions in the local language.

I certainly do much more pre booking nowadays.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

nirakaro wrote:
Antbrewer wrote:Accommodation was also difficult at times as there are fewer 'Zimmer frei houses available now . So Gasthauses and small hotels was often called on.

One way in which the world has changed is that, since the arrival of online reservations, there's a lot of accommodation available that's completely invisible on the street, and you'll only find it by looking at booking.com or similar apps.

Glad you had a good time subject to excess hillage. I noticed that a lot of municipal campsites in France have closed now and there are more of the campsites with swimming pools and facilities but it seems to be leaving a few areas blank for organised camping. I'd recommend the route I did from Geneva to Beziers or Marseille for a river route via Rhona, EV17. A few hills at the beginning but basically from Lyon it's flat ( I believe that the true start which is in the Swiss mountains is hillier. Trains available all the way to solve that depending on what works for you.