Airports on your own

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mongoose

Re: Airports on your own

Post by mongoose »

I flew from Gatwick a month ago, took my bike by car and used the Valet Parking where you drive to the short term car park opposite the terminal and leave the car there. On the way back the car is returned to the same car park. When I booked the parking in advance it was not much different in price from the normal airport car parks. The time before I used the meet and greet at South Terminal, but that is now not in operation.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've never flown using a car by myself though I might have been dropped off. I would have thought that having the bike is ideal in that you can cut out the parking: cycle to airport (or by train), walk bike into terminal, package up bike and off you go. But even having a parked car, surely it's much the same procedure?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

horizon wrote:I've never flown using a car by myself though I might have been dropped off. I would have thought that having the bike is ideal in that you can cut out the parking: cycle to airport (or by train), walk bike into terminal, package up bike and off you go. But even having a parked car, surely it's much the same procedure?

Assuming you can carry your bike packaging.

As I normally us a cardboard bike box (required by most airlines I fly), it is a bit difficult cycling any distance with (even a folded) box and luggage.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote:Assuming you can carry your bike packaging.

Ah ha. Yes, fair point. I'm trying to visualise what the OP is saying. The few times I flew with a bike I used a ground sheet from an old tent with a layer of bubble wrap taped inside it (in effect a home made but robust bike bag). That lay on the rack both on the way to the airport and for what was a shortish tour. If you've got your bike flight-ready at home, then yes it would be tricky - you need to go directly from car to baggage trolley.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Has anyone ever had a bike refused on stand by?

I see that easy jet now say that they take bikes in standby only.

Flybe have had that policy for a while and it’s never caused me a problem but the reason they have it is that their planes are often tiny with really limited space.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mrs HJ. Where did you get that from (standby)?

I've just had a look at 3 different bits about bikes on the easyjet site and couldn't see it. They do say a max of 6 items of sporting stuff per booking.

I think that oversize baggage is always dependent on availability of space on any flight, as in reality is any baggage and even passengers when plane is overbooked.

Generally, I would expect there to be plenty of hold space on most easyjet flights as so many people travel with only hand luggage. I know of some Asian airlines that fill this hole with cargo, but I don't think easyjet do.I would think you only have a problem if sharing with a cycle tour group or a golf holiday crowd.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

simonhill wrote:Mrs HJ. Where did you get that from (standby)?

I've just had a look at 3 different bits about bikes on the easyjet site and couldn't see it. They do say a max of 6 items of sporting stuff per booking.

I think that oversize baggage is always dependent on availability of space on any flight, as in reality is any baggage and even passengers when plane is overbooked.

Generally, I would expect there to be plenty of hold space on most easyjet flights as so many people travel with only hand luggage. I know of some Asian airlines that fill this hole with cargo, but I don't think easyjet do.I would think you only have a problem if sharing with a cycle tour group or a golf holiday crowd.

I don’t know! I wonder if I looked at Flybe by accident as I travel with them quite a lot. Just starting to think about my flights for Geneva and back from beziers for my little rhone trip.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Interesting that this post has just turned up on the forum.

I am hoping to fly to Salzburg this September. I will be driving to Gatwick and parking the car at the carpark we normally use. APH parking. This will cost about £60.00 or so
I intend to pack the bike in a CTC plastic bag which BA are quite happy about.
I phoned the APH car parking company yesterday and they said 'Yes' to taking the bike on the bus to the terminal. If it is very crowded then I might need to wait for the next bus but that is no problem. They were very good about it.

I will check the bike in with a separate bag containing panniers which should be no more than the 23Kg baggage allowance. My bar bag I will carry on. I phoned BA yesterday to confirm all this and they said I had to phone up 24 hours before with my flight booking number and to tell them I had a bike and that is all. This is my plan at the moment. Fingers and legs crossed.

I have never done this before so it is all a bit of an adventure. When I get to Salzburg I hope to be able to leave in a small bag the bike bag and the protective bits and pieces and tape in the left luggage lockers. I have emailed the airport this morning to clarify this. Not heard anything yet.

I know some of you will be horrified about the plastic bike bag but on balance I have faith????????
Anthony
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'd get that in writing(email) about the bus, in case the driver's policy differs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Antbrewer wrote:Interesting that this post has just turned up on the forum.

I am hoping to fly to Salzburg this September. I will be driving to Gatwick and parking the car at the carpark we normally use. APH parking. This will cost about £60.00 or so
I intend to pack the bike in a CTC plastic bag which BA are quite happy about.
I phoned the APH car parking company yesterday and they said 'Yes' to taking the bike on the bus to the terminal. If it is very crowded then I might need to wait for the next bus but that is no problem. They were very good about it.

I will check the bike in with a separate bag containing panniers which should be no more than the 23Kg baggage allowance. My bar bag I will carry on. I phoned BA yesterday to confirm all this and they said I had to phone up 24 hours before with my flight booking number and to tell them I had a bike and that is all. This is my plan at the moment. Fingers and legs crossed.

I have never done this before so it is all a bit of an adventure. When I get to Salzburg I hope to be able to leave in a small bag the bike bag and the protective bits and pieces and tape in the left luggage lockers. I have emailed the airport this morning to clarify this. Not heard anything yet.

I know some of you will be horrified about the plastic bike bag but on balance I have faith????????
Anthony

If that plan with left luggage doesn't work (in my experience Central Europe gets left luggage so you should be fine) abandon the protective bits and pieces and line you base of your pannier with the carefully folded bag.

For going home get bubble wrap or a cheap sleeping mat for the return journey and tape it all together. Don't forget to grease your pedals so you can get them off again at the other end without extra tools-I couldn't get either of ours done last time We flew back home so I had to "smooth over" the pedal bump with bubble wrap.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Antbrewer - are you sure you are allowed 2 pieces within your 23kg limit?

I'm no expert on BA,but thought they were a one check in bag airline.

Sorry to worry you.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

simonhill wrote:Antbrewer - are you sure you are allowed 2 pieces within your 23kg limit?

I'm no expert on BA,but thought they were a one check in bag airline.

Sorry to worry you.

Antbrewer wrote: a separate bag containing panniers which should be no more than the 23Kg baggage allowance. M

my bold indicates, I think, that he will put two panniers in one bag to check them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Hi Simon,
Thank you for your thoughts.
I have been on the BA site and you may be right about one item of checked luggage depending on the ticket but thinking about it I will in fact have very little luggage to carry I am sure I can pack and take it on as hand (cabin) luggage as the weight for that is also 23KG.

MJR wondered about having it in writing to agree with taking the bike on the transfer bus.

I have also checked with the car park company APH and they assure me that provided the bike is packed (and not naked) they will take the bike and me on the transfer bus. So that too is a weight off my mind.
This forum is brilliant for questioning and clarifying. Well done chaps.

Anthony
mongoose

Post by mongoose »

The CTC bag should fold up and fit on or under you pannier rack using a bungee so that it does not take up space in your panniers.

I have found it easier to wheel the bike to departures and fit it into the CTC bag there but that was not using APH. I flew from Gatwick to Munich a month ago and found that my bike in the CTC bag would not fit in the oversize conveyor, but I had just to take it to airside security with a member of staff where it was logged in and scanned there. Oddly enough the bike just fitted the oversize conveyor at Verona on the way back with BA.

Although BA say you should speak to their customer services crew if you are taking a bike, if you are not traveling in a group you should be OK without contacting them. I found that they asked a few questions about the packing and overall size of the bagged bike but when I said that I did not have the bike to hand it did not make any difference - there were no queries at Verona when I checked in. How many items of hold luggage you are allowed depends in which ticket you buy for the BA flight, provided you don't opt for their new basic fare, the bike counts as your one item of hold luggage unless flying business class when you would be allowed bike plus a hold bag. BA are quite good with hand baggage though - 60 litres for the main bag.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

As I said in my original post I intend to leave the plastic bag and frame insulation and tape etc in the left luggage at Salzburg airport. Apparently the cost is 4 euros per day, this would total 48euros. However I emailed the office at the airport and they have given me a discount for the duration of my trip to 27euros. How kind is that?
Just a simple polite request in an email can work wonders. There are some nice officials out there!
I have printed out the email to show the chappy behind the desk if this is what I will do on getting there. I could possibly carry it with me as the weight will be very small.

The other issue of getting to Gatwick with the bike and the transfer coach to the terminal can be easier with a Meet and Greet service that most of the car parks provide. However that is more costly as one would imagine.

Anthony