Perhaps Poncho ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Re: Perhaps Poncho ?

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

or the bigger one?

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/rainwear/duxback-rain-poncho-super

I thinbk you do need to have a bit of space with one of those things

The thing I dont like is the hood - there is no way to get rid of it as the collar gets in the way. they need to rethink that aspect
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

mercalia wrote:

or the bigger one?

https://www.carradice.co.uk/products/rainwear/duxback-rain-poncho-super

I thinbk you do need to have a bit of space with one of those things

The thing I dont like is the hood - there is no way to get rid of it as the collar gets in the way. they need to rethink that aspect

there are a few hoodless ones for use with helmets I suppose.

the mistake most walkers make is not belting them or tying them up and leaving them flappy.
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Doesn't belting them make them sweaty? The advantage of a cape for cycling is that, though the material isn't breathable, the airflow underneath keeps the worst of the perspiration off.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

JakobW wrote:Doesn't belting them make them sweaty? The advantage of a cape for cycling is that, though the material isn't breathable, the airflow underneath keeps the worst of the perspiration off.

the aim of belting is to keep the poncho in place. better a bit sweatier than soaking wet. the sides are still open so still breathable.
gaz

Post by gaz »

VanMoof Boncho, no personal experience.
[youtube]IGEYf8zJmow[/youtube]
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

JakobW wrote:Doesn't belting them make them sweaty?

No. It just holds it in place.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Mistik-ka wrote:I think "poncho" is a North American term; "cape" is the more common (and traditional) term in Britain.

Mrs. M-k and I have used whatever-you-want-to-call-thems for many years for walking tours in Britain. We find them more comfortable and adaptable than waterproof/breathable jackets in all but one circumstance: in high winds on the top of the moors they can make it impossible to walk safely (or at all :? ). We have more than once been forced to shelter in the lee of a stone wall, hoping that the wild weather would peter out in time for us to reach our day's destination. (It always did.)

Under no circumstances would I risk dependence on a cape or poncho while cycling on an open, unsheltered road.
Hr's a modern poncho. They are quite inexpensive.
Bin Bag Gilet.jpg
Highly functional. At journey's end tie a knot in the head end and you can use it as a bin bag.
Last edited by PJ520 on 16 Jul 2018, 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

crazydave789 wrote:the aim of belting is to keep the poncho in place.

The point being that if they aren't held in place, an unfortunate gust of wind could see you riding with your head inside an inside out cape.
I've seen it happen (lightweight cape, waist tie present but not in use, did manage to stop safely before discovering the edge of the road).

A waist tie, only attached to the cape at the middle of the lower back, allows a reasonable amount of air circulation whilst still keeping the cape in place
mjr

Post by mjr »

andrew_s wrote:A waist tie, only attached to the cape at the middle of the lower back, allows a reasonable amount of air circulation whilst still keeping the cape in place

A waist tie is still far worse than clipping the back of the cape to the bag loops or rack and the front to the wrists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mjr wrote:A waist tie is still far worse than clipping the back of the cape to the bag loops or rack and the front to the wrists.

Doesn't that make it a bit awkward to get off the bike, or even hazardous in the case of an involutary dismount?

Mistik-ka wrote:I think "poncho" is a North American term; "cape" is the more common (and traditional) term in Britain.

South American (Andean), from the Quechua "punchu"
mjr

Post by mjr »

andrew_s wrote:
mjr wrote:A waist tie is still far worse than clipping the back of the cape to the bag loops or rack and the front to the wrists.

Doesn't that make it a bit awkward to get off the bike, or even hazardous in the case of an involutary dismount?

Awkward yes, if you forget to unclip. Hazardous no, unless you're doing more than clipping it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
random37

Post by random37 »

These were the capes used by the Swiss Army cycle infantry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SWISS-ISSUE-PO ... B072MQ6B3R

They work for all sorts of things other than cycling. Emergency shelter, bike cover. They're great.

You do look a bit like a giant camouflaged condom when you wear one though.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Many of us (older ones) will remember the good old cape. In the 50s and 60s there was little else. I still have two on the shelf in the garage. They wrap up small and are totally waterproof. With a 'Sou wester' hat one was completely dry even though lower legs and feet were somewhat wet. I have even thought about taking one instead of my Goretex jacket and overtrousers on my forthcoming Austrian trip in Sept.
The air and wind kept the heat and condensation underneath to a minimum whilst riding. Small cotton loops for thumbs or hand to go through to keep the cape stretched over the bars. Tearing down the passes could be interesting from a handgliding perspective but I never actually left the road or got swept to the side.
All in all and excellent alternative. Strapped on top of the saddle bag you really looked the picture of a dedicated CTC tourist stopping off at a tearoom showing the famous 3 wings.

Ah those were the days.
Anthony
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use a Fjallraven Cape when in the Arctic and it is far more versatile than a coat

That has been for walking though

I have used capes in the past, but with my present fleet I tend to use a fairing rather than waterproofs - saves the need for trousers and allows a much lighter jacket