Rear Flashers??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hamster

Re: Rear Flashers??

Post by hamster »

meic wrote:I could well be out of date but I think they are still illegal in Germany and Netherlands. I have no idea if this is enforced.

However if you are a UK traveller you are fine, provided your bike complies with UK regs. It's only technically a problem if you are a resident. Try getting a TUV for a RHD vehicle in Germany for example, or that towbars have to be removed when not in use in France, etc.
meic

Post by meic »

provided your bike complies with UK regs

but how many flashing only lights do satisfy UK regulations?
Not that foreign police will be informed on such matters at all.

If they can run steady as well you have no legal justification for using the flash.
Yma o Hyd
hamster

Post by hamster »

I really don't think cops anywhere will have the time to read the UK lighting regs and research whether the light has the certification. Relax.
mjr

Post by mjr »

hamster wrote:I really don't think cops anywhere will have the time to read the UK lighting regs and research whether the light has the certification. Relax.

Indeed. Unless your light does something obviously illegal like strobing, dazzling or flashing green, you're very unlikely to attract police attention at the moment.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

European tour implies several countries. Therefore the letter of the law will alter with each border you cross, and even more so will the habits of local cyclists.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:European tour implies several countries. Therefore the letter of the law will alter with each border you cross, and even more so will the habits of local cyclists.

I'm fairly sure that all of Europe is signed up to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, so as long as you're showing a white light to the front, a red light and reflector to the rear and have a bell and a brake, then the local law should be irrelevant. https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... al-traffic
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

mjr wrote:
hamster wrote:I really don't think cops anywhere will have the time to read the UK lighting regs and research whether the light has the certification. Relax.

Indeed. Unless your light does something obviously illegal like strobing, dazzling or flashing green, you're very unlikely to attract police attention at the moment.

In Germany and the Netherlands, where we were talking about, flashing lights are very obviously illegal.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:In Germany and the Netherlands, where we were talking about, flashing lights are very obviously illegal.

I'm sure there were plenty of them on my last visit to NL, so I'd double-check that if I had more time.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I managed a month or so through Germany and NL without being pulled by the fuzz. As someone stated above NL would appreciate any sort of lights and I'd guess Germany would be the same after some of the stuff I witnessed.

The bonus of course for long distance tourers is the extended battery life when using flashing mode over a straight light.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:European tour implies several countries. Therefore the letter of the law will alter with each border you cross, and even more so will the habits of local cyclists.

I'm fairly sure that all of Europe is signed up to the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, so as long as you're showing a white light to the front, a red light and reflector to the rear and have a bell and a brake, then the local law should be irrelevant. https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... al-traffic

Yes, but in practice no. Does your average cop know about the Vienna Convention? More to the point, does your average cyclist or motorist? As I said, if you're concerned about "when in Rome," it's about local habit more than law.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

In https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127242&start=15#p1310200
mjr wrote:Almost no downside to a flashing rear? You might as well wear a neon sign saying "I'm only a cyclist. Pass me in lane. If you get it wrong, I'll barely dent your car." ...

I have commented here to avoid thread drift there :)

But surely if a car has braked for a slow rear steady lit cyclist they can see its "only a cyclist" easily enough using headlamps/streetlamps? I never noticed any effect on close passing from starting/abandoning using flashing rear lamps. Don't pedal reflectors perform the same 'give away'?

Whilst using steady as standard, I still have a spare lamp with flash mode on my saddlebag in case I find it useful:

I think flashing lights are only arguably a benefit when the cyclist is alone in faster traffic as it perhaps tells those not concentrating and zipping along blindly on dipped lamps that they need to brake for the slower vulnerable vehicle ahead: I would expect braking late to be just as likely to result in a close pass due squeezing past due to being unable to slow enough..
Of course, pedals reflectors (or IMO other low mounted large reflective areas) will give the same warning but not from as far away.

Where cyclists become numerous and hence clump in large groups, a mass of out of sequence rear flashing lamps seems not a very good idea at all IMO (I tried to suggest to see.sense that they, errr, see sense and limit their auto flash rate change to simply a steady lamp commanding a flashing one to turn on/off as 'appropriate ' (needs to be separate lamps to be legal :) ) ).

Given white power LEDs Flashing front lamps seem entirely pointless and annoying now compared to their feeble progenitors.... :)
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

SA_SA_SA wrote:In https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=127242&start=15#p1310200
mjr wrote:Almost no downside to a flashing rear? You might as well wear a neon sign saying "I'm only a cyclist. Pass me in lane. If you get it wrong, I'll barely dent your car." ...

I have commented here to avoid thread drift there :)

But surely if a car has braked for a slow rear steady lit cyclist they can see its "only a cyclist" easily enough using headlamps/streetlamps? I never noticed any effect on close passing from starting/abandoning using flashing rear lamps. Don't pedal reflectors perform the same 'give away'?

Whilst using steady as standard, I still have a spare lamp with flash mode on my saddlebag in case I find it useful:

I think flashing lights are only arguably a benefit when the cyclist is alone in faster traffic as it perhaps tells those not concentrating and zipping along blindly on dipped lamps that they need to brake for the slower vulnerable vehicle ahead: I would expect braking late to be just as likely to result in a close pass due squeezing past due to being unable to slow enough..
Of course, pedals reflectors (or IMO other low mounted large reflective areas) will give the same warning but not from as far away.

Where cyclists become numerous and hence clump in large groups, a mass of out of sequence rear flashing lamps seems not a very good idea at all IMO (I tried to suggest to see.sense that they, errr, see sense and limit their auto flash rate change to simply a steady lamp commanding a flashing one to turn on/off as 'appropriate ' (needs to be separate lamps to be legal :) ) ).

Given white power LEDs Flashing front lamps seem entirely pointless and annoying now compared to their feeble progenitors.... :)

For winter commuting, I always have two rear lights, mainly just in case one fails without me realising.

The backup I run flashing, partly because the battery lasts forever that way, and partly because it might just attract the attention of someone who misses the constant light for whatever reason.

The idea that motorists are somehow more likely to pass you closer if you have a flashing rather than constant light seems far-fetched to me.

I also run a helmet mounted light with front and rear. Mainly because I find them very noticeable on other cyclists when I'm driving, partly because I can angle it to improve the likelihood of motorists at junctions seeing me, and partly just to annoy mjr :wink: . That one is constant front and pulsing rear.
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote:But surely if a car has braked for a slow rear steady lit cyclist they can see its "only a cyclist" easily enough using headlamps/streetlamps? I never noticed any effect on close passing from starting/abandoning using flashing rear lamps. Don't pedal reflectors perform the same 'give away'?

You answer that yourself later: "not from as far away". By the time they can see pedal reflectors, they've probably already set themselves up on a wider line and most will continue along it because it's less effort.

Under streetlights now (where we have them in our semi-rural area), it's pretty similar to daytime and lights are basically irrelevant, to the point that motorists now seem to be fairly often driving off down A roads without putting on their lights until they reach the unlit area - carelessness rather than feeling it's unnecessary, I think. I hope!

SA_SA_SA wrote:I think flashing lights are only arguably a benefit when the cyclist is alone in faster traffic as it perhaps tells those not concentrating and zipping along blindly on dipped lamps that they need to brake for the slower vulnerable vehicle ahead: I would expect braking late to be just as likely to result in a close pass due squeezing past due to being unable to slow enough..

I think that's assuming that all motorists think flashing = cyclist = vulnerable = steer wider, which I don't feel is true for a significant minority. I prefer a steady rear with a sufficiently large illuminated area that that minority will think it's a slow motorcycle that could seriously dent their precious and steer around it.

roubaixtuesday wrote:For winter commuting, I always have two rear lights, mainly just in case one fails without me realising.

I run one good reliable rear light mounted in a place I can check (typically back of the rack or on the seat stay) rather than two failure-prone ones that could easily both fail without me realising.

roubaixtuesday wrote:The backup I run flashing, partly because the battery lasts forever that way, and partly because it might just attract the attention of someone who misses the constant light for whatever reason.

I think deliberately seeking to take attention away from other vulnerable road users like that is anti-social, so I don't do it, even though I have some sympathy for the energy conservation argument.

roubaixtuesday wrote:The idea that motorists are somehow more likely to pass you closer if you have a flashing rather than constant light seems far-fetched to me.

I'm not aware of any research, so I admit I'm just going on my experiences.

roubaixtuesday wrote:I also run a helmet mounted light with front and rear. Mainly because I find them very noticeable on other cyclists when I'm driving, partly because I can angle it to improve the likelihood of motorists at junctions seeing me, and partly just to annoy mjr :wink: . That one is constant front and pulsing rear.

Yes, I will shout offensive things at users of such things, to try to return the annoyance. ;-) A light which rotates and shows white to the rear and red to the front would not be legal on a bike and it seems like a loophole that it's even allowed on a rider.

roubaixtuesday wrote:Given white power LEDs Flashing front lamps seem entirely pointless and annoying now compared to their feeble progenitors.... :)

Riding one of the original London Cycle Hire bikes with its flashing front light into an unlit area (Regent's Canal towpath, worse luck!) was quite an unsettling experience! I've not tried it since they fitted the green lights too, but I doubt that's enough to overcome the night-blinding effect of the flashing white.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I think deliberately seeking to take attention away from other vulnerable road users like that is anti-social,

Which vulnerable road users am I endangering with the heinous offense of using a flasher? Squirrels??

Yes, I will shout offensive things at users of such things, to try to return the annoyance

I've never found it annoying, either as cyclist, pedestrian or motorist. It may be that you are peculiarly sensitive. Anyway, take care shouting offensive things, if many other 6'4 14st cyclists like me take the same attitude I do, you'll get a lot of kisses blown at you in response.

I don't think this is going to get any more productive, so I'll leave the thread at this point I think. Toodle pip!
mjr

Post by mjr »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
I think deliberately seeking to take attention away from other vulnerable road users like that is anti-social,

Which vulnerable road users am I endangering with the heinous offense of using a flasher? Squirrels??

Anyone who your flashing light distracts motorists from: nearby walkers, horse riders and even cyclists who don't flash. If you had a magic device that could make a motorist look at you instead of whatever or whoever they would normally look at, would you use it? If flashing lights work, how are they significantly different?

If they work, that is. If they don't, then you've "only" given incompetent motorists two get-out-of-jail-free cars after things go wrong: one of saying your light distracted them; and one of saying whoever they hit should have had a flashing light.

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Yes, I will shout offensive things at users of such things, to try to return the annoyance

I've never found it annoying, either as cyclist, pedestrian or motorist. It may be that you are peculiarly sensitive.

No maybe to it: I'm very sensitive to contrast, which has many benefits (such as reading reflective road signs from great distances) but some disadvantages including being blinded more easily by idiots with badly-aimed lights.

roubaixtuesday wrote:Anyway, take care shouting offensive things, if many other 6'4 14st cyclists like me take the same attitude I do, you'll get a lot of kisses blown at you in response.

Thanks for your concern but I'm a 6' former judo student, usually on a big Dutch bike. I'll probably live ;-)

roubaixtuesday wrote:I don't think this is going to get any more productive, so I'll leave the thread at this point I think. Toodle pip!

Well, at least that's more polite than many flounces!