EV 12 Ostend to Denmark

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RodT

EV 12 Ostend to Denmark

Post by RodT »

I'm planning a trip on the EV 12 from Ostend to Denmark. It seems there's no ferry service to Ostend from the UK, so I'll have to go Dover-Dunkirk.
I'll be leaving later this month. Not camping- I hope to use AirB&B.
I'd be grateful if anyone has any observations on this route.

Thanks
Rod
foxyrider

Re: EV 12 Ostend to Denmark

Post by foxyrider »

It's flat and can be very windy with little shelter if it rains.
I'd dump the first bit and get a ferry to Hook of Holland or if you can - Zeebrugge. Unless you fly or ride getting back is a pain now there are no ferrys landing north of Ijmuiden.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ron

Re: EV 12 Ostend to Denmark

Post by Ron »

Perhaps things have changed, but getting from Dunkirk ferry terminal into the city was less than straightforward, a little research there would be worthwhile. It adds interest to see the changes through France, Belgium and into the Netherlands.
I think it likely that you will want to stray off the EV12 in northern NL and DE and take a more direct route as the EV 12 hugged the coast and wandered a bit much for my liking, depends on how much time you have, this should not be a problem, alternative routes are well signposted.