Good place to find UK bikepacking routes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Good place to find UK bikepacking routes?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
jimbop wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24573
jimbop that's a real hardcore route you posted, off road lots.
I know many of the tracks in the south but not done many in the north (devon) you will need balls of steel for that, plus its off road and some of the tracks are very hard to ride, definitely either experience or and a suitable rugged bike let alone the body :)
Possible one day for me, I might give it a go.....

I'll put that one on the back burner then! Thanks muchly for the steer!
I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

This is definitely on my bucket list :) :mrgreen:
http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/highland-trail-550/
On the coast to coast devon, I have done it on the tourer as part of a double coast to coast circular devon one day ride 250 miles unsupported.
It's doable on 30 mm on a road bike in the dry, only bit to watch is the tarka north of Oakhampton, it starts as a grassy track but becomes a tree root exposed track but gets better by the miles and after 30 miles its a motorway as you lead into barstaple, worth doing for sure.
The one you posted is tough but scenery outstanding, do it as a holiday, but you will be better on a MTB with hybrid tyres, plenty places to wild camp on the way for sure, you must do!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

iandriver wrote:A simple kit shakedown from London would be to follow the river lea all the way to Hertford from the Olympic park. Only thing it wouldn't test is your gears as it's pancake flat.

Epping Forest!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

In a similar discussion in another place, the Dorset Gravel Dash was mentioned as a good weekend's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12771914

I'm not sure what the surfaces are like - 80K per day on loose singletrack might be a bit punchy - but possibly worth a look?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just thought of something easy and fairly near home. The Flitch Way from near Bishops Stortford (train station) to Braintree. Almost all off road on good surface. Pretty flat as it follows an old railway line. Plenty of places to rough camp and it goes through Hatfield Forest.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
iandriver wrote:A simple kit shakedown from London would be to follow the river lea all the way to Hertford from the Olympic park. Only thing it wouldn't test is your gears as it's pancake flat.

Epping Forest!

That sounds good. Any route suggestions?
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

simonhill wrote:Just thought of something easy and fairly near home. The Flitch Way from near Bishops Stortford (train station) to Braintree. Almost all off road on good surface. Pretty flat as it follows an old railway line. Plenty of places to rough camp and it goes through Hatfield Forest.

Nice and close to London, off-road but decent surface, I like it. Gone on the shortlist.
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

JakobW wrote:In a similar discussion in another place, the Dorset Gravel Dash was mentioned as a good weekend's ride: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/12771914

I'm not sure what the surfaces are like - 80K per day on loose singletrack might be a bit punchy - but possibly worth a look?

At the moment time isn't that much of an issue - as long as my flatmate is around to take care of my cat then I can always go on a fairly ambitious route and just go slower if i get tired. I'll have a delve - smidge further from london than i'd ideally like but not earth shatteringly so.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

jimbop wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Epping Forest!

No sorry, I just know it is a "wilderness" near London, historically interesting too
Try searching these fora, it has probably been mentioned before
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
jimbop

Post by jimbop »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
jimbop wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Epping Forest!

No sorry, I just know it is a "wilderness" near London, historically interesting too
Try searching these fora, it has probably been mentioned before

Cool - will do - i've heard it mentioned before, i think when friends have been talking about MTBing (i dont have one and want/need to limit myself to a single bike for the foreseeable unfort).