Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry question

Post by Woodtourer »

Not sure if I asked this before!
We will be going from Portsmouth to Cherbourg in mid August. Do we need to prebook our trip non the ferry?
Thanks!
Tigerbiten

Re: Portsmouth to Cherbourg ferry question

Post by Tigerbiten »

When on tour I tend not to pre book my ferry journeys simply because I'm never 100% sure on which day I'll get to the ferry terminal. I don't like to be rushed so if I take a day or so longer to get to the terminal it doesn't bother me. Plus if the ferry is running I've never been turned away .... yet ...... :D

But if you do, you may well get a discount/cheaper tickets. I know both the Newcastle and Harwich ferries are cheaper if pre booked.
So check the ferries website for any conditions/discounts which could affect your journey.

Luck .......... :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In the past, i have found that even with a pre booked ticket you can get on any ferry. Out from Dover, train cancelled so had to get next ferry. Back from Dunkirk, terrible weather so decided to come home in evening rather than next morning. Both no problem. Obviously these were not Portsmouth routes.

One other thing to look at is the cost of tickets at each end. One will be priced in Pounds, the other in Euros. Due to exchange rates these can be different in real terms.
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

If you are traveling at peak holiday time you may find they have no more space for bikes if you just turn up. This was an issue last year according to letter in CTC Gazette.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

[quote][/quote]
Since we have our air travel booked and a 2 night Air B&B in Portsmouth booked maybe I r just play it safe and boo the ferry. Maybe we will score a discount!!
Thanks for your replies!
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

If you know which ferry you want to catch, book beforehand, especially in July and August. These days I tend to use Brittany Ferries on most of the routes I use to the continent, where possible. Last year we went to Cherbourg with the intention of returning to England from there. After cycling down the Cotentin Peninsular, fine in itself for couple of days but not to spend our last 2 days cycling back up there. Contacted Brittany Ferries and they changed our tickets for a return to Portsmouth from St Malo, allowing us to go further south and west into Brittany. Forget what the fee was but we thought it was reasonable and happy to do so.

It’s also worth mentioning that French trains are pretty easy to use with bikes and they run to Cherbourg. Was on a cycling trip to Spain from St Malo in May when I had to return to UK for a funeral. Caught train from La Rochelle to Cherbourg, via Paris, booked over a pleasant evening meal on my smartphone using Trainline.com. What was noteworthy for me was that when I typed in my ticket number at the railway station the next morning to collect my tickets they were all printed, with reservations and information on where the bike was to be located. Helpful SNCF staff meant I had an easy journey and at a time when I didn’t need any unexpected hassles. Also meant I got to cycle across Paris in the rush hour between stations, made me feel young again.

Place de la Concorde.jpg
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Woodtourer wrote:

Since we have our air travel booked and a 2 night Air B&B in Portsmouth booked maybe I r just play it safe and boo the ferry. Maybe we will score a discount!!lol
Thanks for your replies!

That might be best, book now and get a discount
Ferry firms are sometimes quite good if one needs to change the booking, not too expensive
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks! Ferry is booked. Just have to be at the port @6 AM!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Woodtourer wrote:Thanks! Ferry is booked. Just have to be at the port @6 AM!

They do a 9am fast ferry service ..too late I guess
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Unfortunately that one @ 9AM was not available so we decided to go early!
Thanks!