OSMand oddities

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
climo

Re: OSMand oddities

Post by climo »

Ahhh.... archies downloads do include a GPX file which you can directly import as waypoints and can be turned on in Configure Map/GPX Files. They all have the same symbol but when click it shows the name, co-ordinates and phone number.
Haven't tried using favorites as yet
climo

Post by climo »

Tried the favourites.gpx idea & yes it works but not half as well as importing the archies uk gpx file via Dropbox & dropsync. The favourites route imports the name & location but no icon so its invisible on the map and hence useless. When you click on the site name in favourites then yes it does show a 'pin' but you can't turn that into a map marker.
The gpx track import has everything there and can be turned on or off at will so the icons don't clutter up the map. Also you can have multiple files with different names, eg Weatherspoons. Without combining gpx files into one favourite file & redoing this as you add more POI's you can't have this in the favourites route.
Now can you do that in Komoot? Don't think so.
Hope that makes sense.
Too hot to trike today!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Returned to this thread to remind myself how I managed to import those archies and spoons files long ago.

Not sure I understand your post climo but are you sorted?

For the benefit of others (and me if I forget so return here):

It seems that to import a gpx file of additional POIs into osmand the file has to be called favourites.gpx

This might seem alarming as you would think that you would end up overwriting what you already have.

But it seems to be no great matter.

Just import the file (there's a + button to press on the appropriate OSMand screen) and it will just be imported as another favourites file along with the existing ones.

Once it is in OSMand you can then just rename this subset whatever you want - spoons or archies or whatever.

You can also change the colour/format of the blob which highlights them on your map.

And choose whether you want them displayed or not on the screen map all the time.

So I now have up-to-date online markings for campsites and spoons.
Sweep
climo

Post by climo »

Sweep wrote:Returned to this thread to remind myself how I managed to import those archies and spoons files long ago.

Not sure I understand your post climo but are you sorted?

For the benefit of others (and me if I forget so return here):

It seems that to import a gpx file of additional POIs into osmand the file has to be called favourites.gpx

This might seem alarming as you would think that you would end up overwriting what you already have.

But it seems to be no great matter.

Just import the file (there's a + button to press on the appropriate OSMand screen) and it will just be imported as another favourites file along with the existing ones.

Once it is in OSMand you can then just rename this subset whatever you want - spoons or archies or whatever.

You can also change the colour/format of the blob which highlights them on your map.

And choose whether you want them displayed or not on the screen map all the time.

So I now have up-to-date online markings for campsites and spoons.

I'm essentially doing the same thing only with the gpx file of POI's imported as a gpx track not as a favourite. Using favourites may be easier though.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Works fine for me.

I do get an odd thing where my editing of favourites once in (renaming groups, changing colour of group signs etc) makes the app seem to freeze and it asks me if I want to close it.

I do and when I load it up again all is well and it has done what it apparently refused to do.

May just be an oddity of my tab and android version though.
Sweep