OSMand oddities

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

OSMand oddities

Post by Sweep »

I use OSMandplus on an android tab.

And very good it is too, apart from the occasional malfunction and a somewhat odd interface.

Playing around with the POI display tool, which actually allows deep searches, I found that you can hunt for showers and toilets with showers. All very useful and sensible and before I set off again I must remember how I did that.

But I also, I remember not how, discovered that it also has marked, of all things, brothels.

As I understand it its data is taken from open street map, as is the data (via openfietsmap) on my Garmin, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen such a thing on that when looking for POIs.

Anyone found any other oddities?

Or indeed useful stuff?
Sweep
crazydave789

Re: OSMand oddities

Post by crazydave789 »

handy that, you can shower, have a widdle, charge your phone and make sure your numb trouser bits still work all for a reasonable fee.

I wonder if you can take your bike into his/her room with you though.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

There should also be bicycle tool stands somewhere, they are avalible in the data base.
As are camp grounds, highway rest areas.. bicycle shops..

I am presently trying to add ephemeral for water features .. not something you'd come across in the UK frequently :)
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

I am still trying to figure out how to find campgrounds using the POI.
climo

Post by climo »

Sweep, Can you post exactly how you find & load additional POI's into Osmand.
It would be great to load Archies database together with the links you get in Archies though that's a tall order.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Woodtourer wrote:I am still trying to figure out how to find campgrounds using the POI.

press the search button (on screen - magnifying glass or left menu button to bring up the menu - select 'search')
type in camp site (I typed in camp grounds)
select the one you want and then 'show on map' ..
you can pan around to see the others too .. use the right side back button to return to the search screen.

Like any of these apps .. just fumble around untill you find what you want.. at lest that is what it feels like to me.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks!
I have recently been playing with 2 different Plugins. The one to Track/Record a ride & the one where you can take a pic at a certain point and it records it on the map. Still learning!!!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

climo wrote:Sweep, Can you post exactly how you find & load additional POI's into Osmand.
It would be great to load Archies database together with the links you get in Archies though that's a tall order.

post seen.

Will have to remind myself.

It can be done though - I obtained a list of wetherspoons and successfully imported all those so now I can see them all permanently on my offline OSMand map on the tablet.

Leave it with me - will get back to you .
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
climo

Post by climo »

Paulatic wrote:Maybe the following might help
http://www.zen21456.zen.co.uk/osmand/Im ... %20POI.pdf

I forgot that pdf entirely! Saw it a long time ago but didn't understand it then - not so sure I do now.
As an aside I looked up Wild Camping as per the pdf. They mean in a motorhome, oh christ give me a break.

How about importing Archies?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I think the system will be the same - wild camping or whatever.

That may be the source I used.

Found it on a google today but wanted to check it before posting.

Just downloaded it and it appears that I have done before, which maybe confirms that.

Just back up your favourites before trying to do anything. You can do that from within osm. Maps don't really need to be backee up, just download them again.
Sweep
climo

Post by climo »

Sweep wrote:I think the system will be the same - wild camping or whatever.

That may be the source I used.

Found it on a google today but wanted to check it before posting.

Just downloaded it and it appears that I have done before, which maybe confirms that.

Just back up your favourites before trying to do anything. You can do that from within osm. Maps don't really need to be backee up, just download them again.

Can you import Archies Poi? They do them in a variety of formats. Garmin sounds the most likely I guess. I'm fed up of going to several different apps to get one piece of info.
simonwoodward66

Post by simonwoodward66 »

climo wrote:Sweep, Can you post exactly how you find & load additional POI's into Osmand.

I've added Archies to OSMand using http://www.zen21456.zen.co.uk/osmand/Import%20Wildcamping%20POI.pdf
You just need to be careful with Archies as many of the sites don't allow tents.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I will try to check stuff when more time but have you done any experimenting with that guide above climo?
Sweep
climo

Post by climo »

Sweep wrote:I will try to check stuff when more time but have you done any experimenting with that guide above climo?

No I haven't. I looked at the Archies POI downloads and they are only in Garmin, TomTom or similar formats. afaik you need a gpx file to import into Osmand. I've done that & its very straightforward.
I've no idea how to or even if I need to convert the Garmin file to GPX though the previous poster has successfully imported the Archies file.