National Express question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

National Express question

Post by Woodtourer »

I would like to prebook our trip from Heathrow to Portsmouth for next month. I see there is an option to "add" additional luggage for a $.
Since I cannot find anything on their website about bikes I am wondering if I should buy the additional luggage allowance?
Thoughts??
We are taking the ferry to Cherbourg and I booked that this morning.
hamster

Re: National Express question

Post by hamster »

Bikes are fine in their airline packing. Book it as an extra bag on their website and it's all fine. I have used them fairly regularly Poole-Heathrow with a bagged bike.
It's a bit concealed, but here: https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help ... t-property
On the right hand sidebar it forbids 'Bicycles which aren't folded, dismantled or wrapped' - i.e. a packed one is fine.

If all else fails, a backstop is the 701 Woking link bus, and then a train from there to Portsmouth.
Last edited by hamster on 19 Jul 2018, 3:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
slowster

Re: National Express question

Post by slowster »

I've never taken a bike by National Express, but my interpretation of the terms on the website regarding luggage is that the bag/box containing the bike should be no larger than their maximum permitted size for an item of large luggage, which they define as no larger than 75cm x 50cm x 32cm. Their maximum size for an item of medium sized luggage is 70cm x 30cm x 45cm (https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/luggage-lost-property).

The 'i' (information) link on the booking page where you have the option to pay for more luggage (either one extra bag for £8 or £16 for three extra bags), generates a pop up window that states:

"Our standard luggage allowance entitles passengers to take two medium sized items of luggage (20kg each) and one piece of hand luggage (must fit in the overhead rack or under seat)"