Lufthansa and bikes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jamesxyz

Lufthansa and bikes

Post by jamesxyz »

Heads up! Lufthansa have stopped accepting the CTC bag. I was going to be denied boarding today as they said their conditions have changed. Luckily I had a customer service email from time of booking confirming plastic bags were ok so they let me on this time but I had to sign a waver.
Website now states bikes have to be in a suitable container. Shame as they were a good airline. Will probably apply to others in the group I would imagine e.g. Euro wings, Swiss etc
pal

Re: Lufthansa and bikes

Post by pal »

Many thanks for the heads-up! I agree that it's a shame that they've changed their policy (and, as you say, not advertised the change at all well, even to those -- like me -- with existing bike reservations... ). The days of 'naked' bike-flying with Lufthansa will be just a happy memory, then :(

(Have they changed their pricing policy too? You used to be able to count the bike as one of your checked bags, but it looks as if that no longer applies...)
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks for the heads up.
I had planned a trip using them. Flying from Aberdeen airport.
Since I live do near I cycled there and asked them.to confirm their policy.
The lady said, just wheel your bike up to the desk! No need to wrap, deflate tires or turn peddles.

That was 6 months ago.
I had to change my plans so never went ahead to test their policy.

In 9 days I fly from Aberdeen to Marrakesh via Amsterdam with KLM.

Nice price ticket and bike is €45 each way.
I called last week to confirm the bike booking ( box size & weight ).
I was then told that the flight from Amsterdam to Marrakesh was not with KLM!
AirAsia.
And they did not accept bikes!
Yikes!

A few frantic calls later and things were fixed.

Moral of story is if flight involves a change of airline, check both policies.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Matt - AirAsia?

I don't think they fly that route and they definitely take bikes. I regularly fly them, albeit always in Asia.
jamesxyz

Post by jamesxyz »

pal wrote:Many thanks for the heads-up! I agree that it's a shame that they've changed their policy (and, as you say, not advertised the change at all well, even to those -- like me -- with existing bike reservations... ). The days of 'naked' bike-flying with Lufthansa will be just a happy memory, then :(

(Have they changed their pricing policy too? You used to be able to count the bike as one of your checked bags, but it looks as if that no longer applies...)

Price policy is the same I think, bike counts as 1 item, Al though I paid £45 as my panniers counted as checked luggage
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

simonhill wrote:Matt - AirAsia?

I don't think they fly that route and they definitely take bikes. I regularly fly them, albeit always in Asia.

Thanks. Yes. I was wrong.
Second leg is
Transavia. Airlines.

Thanks for the correction.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.