Map of Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Map of Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Post by PAB855 »

What's the best way to obtain a map of the cycle route from the DFDS ferry port at Ijmuiden to Amsterdam?

We are cycling from the ferry to join our boat bike tour boat in Amsterdam. I know the VVV shop in Ijmuiden sells them,but we want to get on a cycle route as close to the ferry arrival point as possible. We don't want to try cycling into a shopping area in the town as cycling in Holland is something we have never done, in fact 1966 was the last year I cycled on the continent!

We prefer paper maps.

Cheers
Tangled Metal

Re: Map of Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Post by Tangled Metal »

Actually I think the way into town centre is possibly the best way. We found it easy with a 4 year old too.

We got a paper map from the library of the town and area then used it to get to the ferry on route 1 cycle route. Easier than the bike route atlas. It's just off the main high street although you can. Get to it past the vvv so that's possibly better. Nice enough town centre we thought.

Whatever route you take it's actually quite nice cycling compared to here.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've ridden in both directions without a map. I simply followed the signs for Amsterdam in one direction and Ijmuiden in the other. All very well signed.
If you use cycletravel you can create your own paper map (PDF) with turn by turn instructions. You have to register with the site (for free) to do this.
See route below. I just put in Ijmuiden to Amsterdam and then made it go via the river as it make navigation easier. The alternative which I used goes toward Haarlem.
http://cycle.travel/map
Attachments
I.jpg
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Take a screenshot of the correct area of the OSMcycle map and print it out.
That may save the hassle of finding that map.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I have the full set of dutch cycle maps (comes in a sort of bound leaflet set). That's the highest quality info I think but you may not need it- cycle.travel etc is prob fine. I have seem a laminated ring book to go in the top of a bar bag - and I think there are 2 books, one for the north and one for the south.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 26 Jul 2018, 8:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We got one of the cycle map books in a spiral bound format. Allowed you to open and fold back each double page. Small enough book to stuff in places, about A5 I think. Bought for €27 in an IJmuiden bookstore on arriving. We had no map before that.

If you want to find it then coming from the port side on the main shopping street it's on a side road near the start of the main shopping street. Good bookstore if you're Dutch not if you only speak English (Spanish, German, Russian, etc.).
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Very many thanks for all that detail, I now have no excuse for losing my way

Cheers
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's the Netherlands, they have the best cycle network on earth (possibly). With their numbering system and maps showing them. You really should not get lost or lost badly.

Have a great holiday, I'm sure you will.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Over a year after my trip there and I'm still reminiscing about it under the guise of giving advice to a forum question. It's that good! :D

One more thing, the ferry buffet is definitely worth booking in advance of sailing. Cheaper than paying on the boat. and the food is excellent. You can eat at much as you want and by morning you'll be able to walk again if you overindulge.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

PAB855 wrote:What's the best way to obtain a map of the cycle route from the DFDS ferry port at Ijmuiden to Amsterdam?

We are cycling from the ferry to join our boat bike tour boat in Amsterdam. I know the VVV shop in Ijmuiden sells them,but we want to get on a cycle route as close to the ferry arrival point as possible. We don't want to try cycling into a shopping area in the town as cycling in Holland is something we have never done, in fact 1966 was the last year I cycled on the continent!

We prefer paper maps.

Cheers

Amsterdam will be a bigger challenge than ijmuiden, so I would suggest to play with https://en.routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl/, and find an exact route to your destination and to your preferences
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

One helpful forum reader has very kindly sent me a map.

Very many thanks to all of you for your contributions.

Cheers
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

're the food on the boat, if you don't mind paying €32 for a meal. No other options on the boat service has deteriorated recently. Travelled recently on P&O and Brittany ferries recently, streets ahead of DFDS.