Cherbourg- camping or lodging??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Cherbourg- camping or lodging??

Post by Woodtourer »

We will arrive in Cherbourg in about 3 weeks. Wondering if anyone might have suggestions regarding the above? East of the town towards Barfleur.
Thanks!
al_yrpal

Re: Cherbourg- camping or lodging??

Post by al_yrpal »

St Vaast la Hogue campsite. Very nice little harbour, Oyster Beds, an Island with an interesting museum and Monsier Grosselin's gourmet store and Cave. Hotel France et Fuscias for a memorable evening meal, staying in the hotel is wonderful. A great spot just beyond Barfleur. One of my favourite places in France.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
hamster

Post by hamster »

Nice small municipal site in Barfleur (Camping Blanche Nef) I used with the family in late May. Spotless facilities and 20m from the sea.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks for your replies!!
ossie

Post by ossie »

al_yrpal wrote:St Vaast la Hogue campsite. Very nice little harbour, Oyster Beds, an Island with an interesting museum and Monsier Grosselin's gourmet store and Cave. Hotel France et Fuscias for a memorable evening meal, staying in the hotel is wonderful. A great spot just beyond Barfleur. One of my favourite places in France.

Al

I'd second this ..I believe its camping La Gallouette . A nice walk into town with decent restaurants. 21 miles from Cherbourg if you take the quieter inland route across the peninsular.

If this weather holds it will be busy as it has a pool and its 18 Euro a night / high season.

If you decide to stick to the coast road there are loads of campsites between the port and Barfleur. South of Barfleur at Jonville I also recommend the municipal at Pointe de Saire.

Coastal campsites in the high season are busy, I'd recommend arriving before 4pm as they rapidly fill up.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Again thanks for the info! We are booked at this campground for next Friday. This will make an easy 1st. day after we get off the ferry from Portsmouth.
We depart the us Tuesday night. Bikes will be finished packed today and the rest of the gear is all over the living room!!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Book up an evening meal at Hotel de France et Fuschias. A real experience. Have a great tour!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......