Brittany Touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wmydlarz

Brittany Touring

Post by wmydlarz »

Hello all

I'm off to Brittany (Portsmouth to St Malo) next week with couple of pals for a weeks cycle touring and camping. Planning is minimal at the moment, with an idea of just cycling West-ish towards the parc d'Armorique.

Thought I'd try here to see if anyone has any recommendations of good routes, towns or anything that could help piece a decent path along the way.

Thanks in Advance
Bill M :lol:
the_twin

Re: Brittany Touring

Post by the_twin »

Most of the action is on or near the coast. Once you get inland some of towns are pretty sleepy. The one place I would avoid is Huelgoat which seems to be a magnet for alcoholic ex-pats.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I agree that the coast is more interesting but worth a note is the local ferry that operates out of St Malo and takes bikes. You could get the ferry to Dinard which is really nice and has a municipal campsite then venture towards the coast returning to Dinard and hop the ferry back to St Malo. We did it taking our time and really enjoyed it over four days. You could easily extend it or come back from Cherbourg or Caen.
wmydlarz

Post by wmydlarz »

Thanks for the replies.

We'll give Huelgoat a miss if we pass it. Think we will head to Cannes then hug the coat West round back up to St Malo.

Thanks again

B
hamish

Post by hamish »

The coat v inland discussion is interesting.

I love the Brittany coast but when touring there I'm often very happy to leave it and go inland. I eventually feel a bit claustrophobic because I can't get beyond seemingly endless campsites and touristy villages. It's not that the coast is spoilt by them, just that I have a desire to move on from a holiday type place to the ordinary rural countryside that I enjoy.

Then I go inland and follow the endless quiet lanes and rolling green countryside and feel more relaxed. The towns are quieter and more dominated by locals than tourists and the picnic lunch spots are easier to find....

But then I live on the coast in Wales and spend lots of time on the coast in Scotland and Cornwall so don't feel the need to maximise my coastal touring miles.

I would always include a good chunk of coast in a Brittany tour but I would advise trying inland Brittany too. It's lovely.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've cycled in Brittany at least 12 times, as I live in Cork and there's the ferry to Roscoff. Brittany isn't all beautiful but that's an advantage. There are boring bits and lots of highlights. The coast can be quite hilly. Some of back roads are well worth exploring. There's a magic about an unknown road which leads you to a gorgeous little village etc.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Avoid Velo route 7. Very sandy surface gets soft after rain. Use roads instead. Very quiet.