Cycle tourists driven over and killed in Tajikistan terror attack

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bonroute

Re: Cycle tourists driven over and killed in Tajikistan terror attack

Post by Bonroute »

A Dream Ended on a Mountain Road: The Cyclists and the ISIS Militants https://nyti.ms/2OQbBAq

https://eurasianet.org/s/tajikistan-a-m ... -young-man

Some coverage which may be of interest.
radek

Post by radek »

So sad that lives have been lost ! Bicycle tourists are one of the most peaceful people on the planet.
Who ever killed them deserves most severe punishment !!! My sympathy and condolences to family and friends of the victims.

!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

radek wrote:So sad that lives have been lost ! Bicycle tourists are one of the most peaceful people on the planet.
Who ever killed them deserves most severe punishment !!! My sympathy and condolences to family and friends of the victims.

!

Ironically I found that article enjoyable, and that it reflected much of the positive and inspiring reasons why people do yes trips

Also the stories of how most people were kind, helpful and often went out of their way to help, entertain, or communicate again reflect the experience of most.

Alas there will always be the rare, unpredictable situations that can be (in extreme cases) fatal.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ironically lots like a number of cyclists were targeted by a vehicle attack on Westminster this morning. It is being treated as a"terrorist attack"
Bonroute

Post by Bonroute »

I think the New York Times was a good piece as well. I have never done such a long trip as those involved but have met several couples doing so and it's sad to think that jihadis (who are prolific social media users)may now have added cyclists as easy targets in that region. If anyone is thinking of cycling there I would recommend caravnistan.com (I am not connected to it). Would be interested if anyone else knows of a specific site or forum for cycling in that part of the world?
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

radek wrote:So sad that lives have been lost ! Bicycle tourists are one of the most peaceful people on the planet.

!

I think all but one were "neutralised" or shot dead by police in a subsequent gun battle.

Perhaps travelling by motorcycle would now be safer in these countries?
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.