Cycling out of Zagreb airport

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bannerbiker

Cycling out of Zagreb airport

Post by bannerbiker »

Hi all, I will be heading off on my first cycle tour in a few weeks (hooray!). My plan is to cycle around Slovenia and Northern Italy for two weeks. I'm flying to Zagreb and flying out from Venice. I'm looking for any recommendations on a quick and cycle friendly route out of Zagreb Airport heading towards Slovenia (specifically Bizeljsko in Kozjanski park). I realise I can just look up a map but if anyone has done a similar route it would be great to get some recommendations. I'd ideally like to get out of Zagreb and into Slovenia with minimal fuss and hanging around.

Any other recommendations for a first time cycle tourer are also welcome!

Thanks.
MrsHJ

Re: Cycling out of Zagreb airport

Post by MrsHJ »

bannerbiker wrote:Hi all, I will be heading off on my first cycle tour in a few weeks (hooray!). My plan is to cycle around Slovenia and Northern Italy for two weeks. I'm flying to Zagreb and flying out from Venice. I'm looking for any recommendations on a quick and cycle friendly route out of Zagreb Airport heading towards Slovenia (specifically Bizeljsko in Kozjanski park). I realise I can just look up a map but if anyone has done a similar route it would be great to get some recommendations. I'd ideally like to get out of Zagreb and into Slovenia with minimal fuss and hanging around.

Any other recommendations for a first time cycle tourer are also welcome!

Thanks.

That all sounds fab to me. My cycle touring friends did Slovenia without me a few years ago when I was having kids so I have nothing to offer on Zagreb airport (they cycled from Venice). I always start by googling info about the airport (they may also have a Facebook page etc where you can ask questions). As I'm sure you also have I look at google maps very carefully using the satellite photo function. You might also try cycle.travel and see if that can find you a route.

I'm lucky-I just checked up Geneva airport for my trip and not only do they have a web page devoted to cycle access and parking, they also have an air pump for the tyres!. For Beziers on my return there isn't much info but google maps suggests that the access road is small and there is an even smaller one that joins to it very close to the airport so I should be ok.

General advice is don't take too much, do a loaded test of bike and fully loaded bags a few days before you go and enjoy yourself. There are lots of packing lists on these pages. Ps short days are fine if that's what you prefer-it's a holiday, not a test.
bannerbiker

Post by bannerbiker »

Thanks for the tips! Not much info on the aiport website but can figure out a fairly ok route out towards Slovenia. Hopefully I can get away and out of the city without too much hassle!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

No advice from Zagreb airport I'm afraid, but I was in Slovenia last September and had a fantastic two weeks of riding. Hope yours is just as good.