Assembly of bikes at airports

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Antbrewer

Assembly of bikes at airports

Post by Antbrewer »

I appreciate that various aspects of this topic abound on the forum but I have one specific question.

I read somewhere on the forum that it is necessary to reassemble the bike after picking it up from the ''carousel'' on landing. Is this really necessary and if so why? When we pick up our suit cases ready to walk out of the airport through the 'Nothing to declare' gate it isn't necessary to do anything but walk out so why would there be a need to unpack the bike from the polybag.
My intention is to get a taxi to a local hotel as it will be late when my plane arrives and having to reassemble the bike in the airport and cycle to the hotel will make my arrival even later.
Any thoughts please.
Anthony
Warin61

Re: Assembly of bikes at airports

Post by Warin61 »

One reason why you might assemble the bike is to check for damage while there.
However .. you don't do it for the contents of a suitcase and you should still be able to claim for any damages if found later.

Cannot see any reason for it to be compulsory.
borisface

Post by borisface »

I'm not sure that there is any rule about assembling a bike when you arrive. What would the justification for that be? I usually assemble somewhere quiet near the carousel as its much easier to wheel a bike out of the airport than carry the bike in a bag, however, a couple of times OH has picked me up at Gatwick on return home and so haven't bothered to reassemble it.

By the way I never let my tyres down as its a PITA to get enough air in them at the other end. If challenged I say that the tyres are solid and so I can't let them down. Its worked 4 times so far...
PH

Post by PH »

Antbrewer wrote: Is this really necessary and if so why?

I think it's only necessary if you're intending to ride it away from the airport, otherwise it's just another piece of luggage. I'm not sure where you've read anything different, I suspect it's a simple misunderstanding.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I usually cycle out of the airport and therefore reassemble at the airport.

When travelling with juniors I prefer not to put him through that sort of stress and instead get a taxi to a hotel in a suitable place to begin our ride. We then unbag and set up our bikes at the hotel. Junior is getting older now so he may be able to cycle from a hotel in future but as he's also autistic & has anxiety I'm leaning away from that extra potential stress for a bit and I think that setting up a bike at a busy airport can be a bit stressful.

I guess if my plane to Geneva is seriously delayed then I should consider a back up plan of a taxi and hotel as no one really wants to be putting bikes together in the dark and then setting out 30 miles or so to find a campsite (I'm also working in junior to see if he wants to join me!). Some airports are also a lot less cyclable than others so I'd consider the best approach for each trip-at Washington DC next year I'll probably taxi and set up at a hotel as a transatlantic flight tends to be pretty draining.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Antbrewer wrote:I read somewhere on the forum that it is necessary to reassemble the bike after picking it up from the ''carousel'' on landing.
Anthony

I've done a lot of 'bikes on planes' and never had to assemble the bike before customs control. In a big airport (e.g.Gatwick) I lug the bike box/bag to the first big enough / out-of-the-way space I can find, re-assemble and then wheel it the remainder as it's easier. At small airports there often isn't a big space indoors so I go outside and assemble there (if it's not raining...). The only 'problem' I've had is finding somewhere to put the bike box afterwards.
Chris F, Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've flown with a bike on dozens of occasions and have never put it back together before the customs. On the way out I reassemble somewhere quiet outside the airport as above. On returning I have always put it bagged into the car and have reassemble it at my leisure at home.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've assembled near(ish) the baggage carousel if riding away from the airport, or taken a boxed/bagged bike out as is if not.

The only unusual thing was at Birmingham, when I was on what must have been the last flight and customs had gone home before I finished reassembly.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

If it's a spacious baggage hall (as many are-not schipol!) it means you can have dry space out of the way to sort out the bike, somewhere to leave the rubbish and no need to lug bagged or boxed bikes around, then straight out through customs when loaded up.

Obviously whatever works for people-if you prefer to go outside and do it there that's fine by me-i guess I would think that at some airports e.g. Malaga there can be thieves on the look out for people not paying full attention to their luggage just outside the airport buildings.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 6 Aug 2018, 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

It's worth at the very minimum a quick check that the bike hasn't been damaged in transit. If it has you need to report it before leaving the airport and obtain a piece of paper registering it as damaged. If you don't, as someone I was with once did, you'll find it very hard indeed to convince easyJet that it was damaged. You would then have to spend months and take easyJet to the small claims court. You might be successful. Better to check. Wheels can be damaged, frame bent, etc.
If you do re-assemble, you might then find it impossible to get on an airport bus with a bike. If it's still in cardboard box and all wrapped up, you might have more success.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Martin,
Yes I would certainly check it over before leaving the airport as it would be very difficult if not impossible to convince the airport that the damage was done during transit if you had already left the airport.
I fly with BA from Gatwick even though I live in Solihull just 8 miles from Birmingham.
I have now booked a very local hotel to the airport in Salzburg as I arrive about 9.00 pm.
So it is fingers crossed with regard to damage etc.
My next endeavour is to arrange a way of getting to Gatwick. May well consider a 'Greet and Meet' option from one of the many car park companies. This would negate the possible issue of taking the bike albeit packed on the transfer bus to the terminal.
Anyway thank you for your input.

Anthony
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Antbrewer wrote:Martin,
Yes I would certainly check it over before leaving the airport as it would be very difficult if not impossible to convince the airport that the damage was done during transit if you had already left the airport.
I fly with BA from Gatwick even though I live in Solihull just 8 miles from Birmingham.
I have now booked a very local hotel to the airport in Salzburg as I arrive about 9.00 pm.
So it is fingers crossed with regard to damage etc.
My next endeavour is to arrange a way of getting to Gatwick. May well consider a 'Greet and Meet' option from one of the many car park companies. This would negate the possible issue of taking the bike albeit packed on the transfer bus to the terminal.
Anyway thank you for your input.

Anthony

Am i missing something here ... i often do ... would it not just be simpler to hire one of "Alans Bike Boxes" ... and fly from Brum ... and a lot cheaper ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Unlikely to be your problem, but I decided to assemble in the arrival hall at Penang airport after an internal flight from KL. The hall was was large, virtually empty and air conditioned, so ideal for me. Unfortunately I took so long that an international flight arrived. I was then subjected to a Customs check when I left the baggage area.

To answer your question, you definitely do not need to assemble in baggage hall, but agree with all above, that some checking of the bike can be useful.
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Landsurfer,
Quote...
''''Am i missing something here ... i often do ... would it not just be simpler to hire one of "Alans Bike Boxes" ... and fly from Brum ... and a lot cheaper ?''' Unquote.

Oh why didn't I think of flying from Birmingham? It is on my doorstep and so much cheaper than having to go to Gatwick. Could it be that it wasn't possible for a number of reasons?
I have to admit that the hiring of a bike box and the associated arrangements at foreign airport didn't appeal and having read extensively the various options I decided to go with the CTC polybag method.
Anthony