Annecy touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Annecy touring

Post by Thehairs1970 »

We are considering a round trip tour in the Annecy area. It'll be a family tour so we aren't interested in doing the Cols. looking at 7 days, 30 miles or so a day. Any suggestions?
profpointy

Re: Annecy touring

Post by profpointy »

we hired some hybrid style bikes and did a circuit of the lake, mostly on cycle paths with some rounds. I seem to recall we did do a somewhat unsuitable footpath section on the far side (pushing / carrying, but doable) which could doubtless be avoided with a bit more road. can't remember how far (maybe 30 miles ) but easy and pleasant enough. There's some good hiking in the area too
Michy

Post by Michy »

Thehairs1970 wrote:We are considering a round trip tour in the Annecy area. It'll be a family tour so we aren't interested in doing the Cols. looking at 7 days, 30 miles or so a day. Any suggestions?

If you have a spare day, consider going to La Clusaz. I was there for a day or three a couple of months ago. The village, at about 20 miles from Annecy, is famous for its mountainbike trails high up in the mountains. You can rent an electric MTB easily in town and take the MTB/ski elevator up. Really worth trying while you're there. I was there in the evening during sunset, amazing views and had a lot of fun. And not too tiring since obviously your bike's electric. I do believe it closes at the end of September though. I was there for work by the way, so didn't really get the chance to find out about the area all that much.
Don't know how old your kids are, but we also did an Easytrott tour (some kind of electric off-road step), pretty sure they will love that as well if they're tall enough to handle it.
Annecy is beautiful whatsoever. Enjoy your stay!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Nice cycle path most of the way from Annecy to Albertville.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

As a place to go cycling with the family and not do cols, Annecy is a rather strange choice. It is surrounded by them. After the ride around the lake, the most scenic cycling near Annecy goes over cols. Many of the roads also aren't brilliant for family cycling. Another idea for a day out around Annecy is a via ferrata. At least it will get you into the mountains without having to to cycle over any cols. It would be a pity not to do something in the Aravis while you're there. If you're driving from Geneva, the cycling is quieter and more family-friendly in the Jura. Or why not ride around Lake Geneva? Most of it can be done on quiet back roads with no cols. It's particularly beautiful on the Swiss side riding through the vineyards with the pre-Alps sticking out across the lake.

Another thought if you're still set on Annecy. Could you envisage climbing 4% for a few kms? Yes, it is a col. There's a popular circuit that goes over the col de Leschaux (900m) and around Semnoz rather than up it. Get off the "voie verte" (west bank of the lake) at Sévrier and take the D912 to the Col de Leschaux, then come back by the D911 and D5 into Annecy. About 35 miles I think.