Can I take puncture repair spray on a plane?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Armorel

Can I take puncture repair spray on a plane?

Post by Armorel »

Does anyone know whether airlines will object to a couple of cans of Zefal puncture repair spray in my luggage (either hand luggage or checked in baggage)? I'm not entirely sure what's in the spray so I'm not sure whether it comes into any prohibited category.
MartinBrice

Re: Can I take puncture repair spray on a plane?

Post by MartinBrice »

No. Not allowed. Same as gas canisters of any kind.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You can, do you mean to ask whether you may?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Could be used as weapon? Not allowed in cabin baggage.
Flammable? Not allowed.
Explosive? (that includes compressed gas) Not allowed ... unless it is part of a medical device...
horizon

Post by horizon »

Armorel wrote:Does anyone know whether airlines will object to a couple of cans of Zefal puncture repair spray in my luggage (either hand luggage or checked in baggage)? I'm not entirely sure what's in the spray so I'm not sure whether it comes into any prohibited category.

I'd appreciate it if you could let us know which flight/airport etc so that we can plan accordingly. :mrgreen:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

seeing as it is a use once item would it not be better to fit slime inner tubes instead?

or have they changed the recipe? as far as I was aware it was just a small tin of tyreweld.
Armorel

Post by Armorel »

I will be flying from Birmingham to Cork with Stobart Air and back from Belfast City to East Midlands Airport with Flybe. I'll be hiring a bike in Ireland but have been told to take puncture repair stuff with me, so fitting different tyres isn't an option.

I have no idea what's in the puncture repair spray - I can't read the small print on the can even with my glasses on, although it does have a "flammable" symbol on it.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

If hiring then take a puncture repair outfit, spare tube and levers.
Usually hirers include some form of repair kit. If you know who you are hiring from then contact them about it.
I have had aerosols in hold luggage without problems.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Armorel wrote:I will be flying from Birmingham to Cork with Stobart Air and back from Belfast City to East Midlands Airport with Flybe. I'll be hiring a bike in Ireland but have been told to take puncture repair stuff with me, so fitting different tyres isn't an option.

I have no idea what's in the puncture repair spray - I can't read the small print on the can even with my glasses on, although it does have a "flammable" symbol on it.

if you really need it then post it to the bike shop you are hiring from or ask if they can source a couple of cans or put it in the hold as you wont be going that high for very long. I've only tried repairing a puncture that way once and can't claim that it worked as well as it does with cars.