NCN route 2 experience

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

NCN route 2 experience

Postby 1982john » 13 Aug 2018, 2:11pm

I've got a couple of rare free days next week and looking for a 4 day tour. Thinking of doing NCN route 2 Exeter to Brighton. I'm guessing this is mainly low traffic roads but would it be really busy this time of the year?

Also would a road bike be ok?

Thanks for any info.

squeaker

Re: NCN route 2 experience

Postby squeaker » 13 Aug 2018, 4:45pm

The off-road, coastal bits between Worthing and Brighton (there are many on road sections too) will be busy due to the number of tourists wandering around (assuming sunny weather).
Also I recall that some of the NCN2 through the New Forest is not road bike friendly in any shape or form, but that was a few years back: maybe things are better now?
"42"

fossala

Postby fossala » 13 Aug 2018, 4:52pm

I rode from Southend (down to Brighton) to Plymouth a few years ago over 3 days and used the NCR2 a bit. Some of the New Forest was off road, I was on a Thorn touring bike so it was OK. It get's very very hilly between Exeter and Weymouth. I live in Cornwall so I'm used to hills but there is one section that drops you down into the valley and then back out again 4 or 5 times without any flat sections and takes a while to get though, that pissed me off.

Here are some pictures from my trip, not too many as I'm not a big photographer. https://imgur.com/a/sHDws

captain offensive

Postby captain offensive » 15 Aug 2018, 12:18pm

Hi John,

Can't help west of Pompey but I know the stretch between there and the far end at Dover pretty well and have ridden all of it at least twice on my tourer with 32s The worst parts on this stretch are actually East of Brighton so you should be OK. I did a 100 miler from Hastings to Portsmouth a couple of months ago and have written it up so if its of help you can get a feel for that section here: http://www.richmay.co.uk/to-portsmouth/

Cheers

C.O.

ossie

Postby ossie » 15 Aug 2018, 8:44pm

The South West is rammed at the moment and that includes the roads

The first part of your route is busy and hilly including the NCN road up to Axminster. Bridport onwards isn't that bad, nice ride. I did Poole to Exeter on a road bike in 8 hours but over the less crowded route inland but you simply cannot avoid those lovely hills.

You can't cycle along the promenade between Poole and Bournemouth between 10am and 6pm...thats 7 miles just for info but just pop onto the adjacent very busy road

The New Forest is busy at this time of the year but route 2 appears to go off road onto tracks ..something I avoided on tours so no idea of their state...from Southampton onwards onto someone else .

1982john

Postby 1982john » 18 Aug 2018, 7:52pm

Thx for the replies everyone. I ended up doing a route from Aberystwyth to Shrewsbury which put my Genesis Croix through it's paces with some proper gravel trails. As per advice above I'm going to attempt this one later in September.