Edinburgh - Aberdeen - Inverness?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jonkydong2

Edinburgh - Aberdeen - Inverness?

Post by jonkydong2 »

Hello all,

Long time reader but only something worth saying now.

I’ve had in my heart for many years to ride Edinburgh to Inverness via Aberdeen (the coast&castles (north) / Aberdeen - Inverness NCN 1).

I’ve tried an extensive search but can only find a few people who have done it and posted their experience.

I have a few questions, hopefully someone has some insight:

- I imagine Edinburgh -> Inverness would be the correct direction with winds etc? I see the sustrans material suggests this direction. Anyone with experience on the reverse?

- I’ve seen a mention that wild camping on this route may not be ideal due to lots of farm lands. I’m not looking for the ‘catalogue cover’ types of camp spots, i really don’t mind a trek into a thicket, could be anywhere really. Would this make wild camping more possible?

- The FRINGE - am i going to be hard pressed to find a spot for my bike on trains heading back south from inverness - edinburgh then edinburgh south of the wall?

- i’m a novice and my weight reflects that :roll: I’ve done week long touring before but mostly south-coast stuff. is the aforementioned route going to break me? i'm planning 10 days for the journey.

Thanks very much for all your expertise
Tinnishill

Re: Edinburgh - Aberdeen - Inverness?

Post by Tinnishill »

Since nobody else has pitched in here’s my worthless opinion.

Prevailing wind direction ? Yep, that is from the south west, but your route involves a bit of a haul back west to get back to Inversneck; in summer it shouldn’t be a game changer decision.

Wild camping is legal but is some times physically difficult because of the terrain. If you are solo in a little tent you should be OK. For personal safety reasons, don’t wild camp with in a couple of miles of a town or village. The https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/coun ... n=Scotland website will help you find most commercial campsites; most site operators will let a solo cyclists with a tiny tent camp even when apparently full. When booking in, emphasising how titchy your tent is might shave a few quid of the price. If you do wild camp, always assume that you should treat the water before using.

Train capacity ? Capacity on Inverness to Edinburgh is heavily variable due to touristic events in the communities it passes through. Use the Scotrail website to prebook if you can. On most days, at city off peak times it is fine; sometimes the overcrowding can reach dangerous proportions.

Is 10 days enough ? You will be mostly parallel with the Edinburgh/Aberdeen and Aberdeen/Inversneck rail lines. Use the Scotrail website, make yourself aware of the stations and the timetables, and then you have a fall back plan for a retreat.

Be midgie aware. The east coast has a much lower threat, but prepare with long sleeves, long trouser legs, light gloves and a midgie net (not a mosquito net, the holes are too big).

When you reach Inverness, both the campsite at Bught Park and the Hostelling Scotland hostel are OK.

Mostly, have fun
Agitate, educate, organise.
crazydave789

Re: Edinburgh - Aberdeen - Inverness?

Post by crazydave789 »

you are coastal all the way so maybe look at cliff top or seaside camping. look for beachside amenities for water, washing and toilet facilities.

just above raf leuchars but below dundee there is a nice wild nature reserve area with a decent wood you can hide in and the rest of the coastal zones you should be able to find suitable spots, a bivvy bag might be handy if the weather allows with a headnet. you can also ask the locals for a safe area or a farmer. if the crops are in and you are tidy they usually won't bother you unless you look like you are staying.

take a suitable water bladder so you can stock up when you find a friendly local or a church/cemetary.

I'd also check out warmshowers or the odd B&B they might let you camp in the garden and pay for a breakfast as payment.

there's quite a lot up there it seems so looks like it might be a fun trip. keep us informed.