Woodtourer - french tour - ongoing

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Just checked in online with Iceland Air!

Post by Woodtourer »

Bikes are packed, duffles are packed. Ready for a swim in the morning to be more relaxed when we fly.
We set off for our European tour tomorrow.
Will be in Portsmouth for 2 nights then ferry to Cherbourg. And the campsite pitch is booked!
Thanks to those here who have provided so much good info!
Vorpal

Re: Just checked in online with Iceland Air!

Post by Vorpal »

Have a good trip & enjoy yourselves!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MrsHJ

Re: Just checked in online with Iceland Air!

Post by MrsHJ »

Enjoy. Typing from a sweltering Rome here (with family, not cycling-cycle trip comes next month!).
Woodtourer

Sitting here at Heathrow!

Post by Woodtourer »

Our flights were uneventful from home to Heathrow and then the "fun" began! While waiting for our duffles I left my wife and head up to the oversized baggage area to retrieve our bikes. Got there and there was only one. But since we didn't have the duffles we were not sure which baggage claim was for the other bike. So after the duffles finally arrived and we figured out which claim # we needed we headed to the baggage claims people. At this point I had a bit of a sinking feeling! As we waited in line e a baggage guy comes across the terminal with my bike! He saw n down in the bowels of Heathrow and found out the guy that was supposed to bring it up left it as it was the end of his shift! This fellow thought " somebody's waiting for this bike' and brought it up!!!
Then I did a recon of the airport to find the National Express buses. Wow what a hike!! But we are sitting here with a coffee waiting for our bus to Portsmouth.
thirdcrank

Re: Sitting here at Heathrow!

Post by thirdcrank »

Glad to hear this turned ot more or less OK. I hate airports and only visit them on Granddad's taxi service. Let's hope the rest of your trip runs smoothly.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I got the train to Cornwall last Friday. Got up at every stop to make sure no one got off with my bike. Half an hour late arriving due to faults with the points. Just enough time for it to start to rain 1 minute after I left the station for a wet six miles ride.
Fortunately I'm riding back so everything will be a lot less easier.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Good news is Portsmouth is sunny and bright.....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

whoof wrote:I got the train to Cornwall last Friday. Got up at every stop to make sure no one got off with my bike. Half an hour late arriving due to faults with the points. Just enough time for it to start to rain 1 minute after I left the station for a wet six miles ride.
Fortunately I'm riding back so everything will be a lot less easier.

Slightly OT...

This lock has been (and is ) badged by several large companies including Giant and Shimano, as well as shop chains

It is not going to stop a serious attempt, but it is subtle enough to lock your bike to the train furniture without attracting the attention of the guards.

PS - it always rains in Cornwall

My apologies to Wordsworth:

I wandered lonely as a cloud
Except those in Cornwall
There are far too many clouds in Cornwall for them to ever feel alone
whoof

Post by whoof »

I had a small cable on the bike but any career thief could snip through it in seconds. Almost a week in and I haven't been out in the rain once. It's forecast for tonight but cleared by tomorrow's club ride and looking good for Friday's ride to Exeter and Saturday's to Bristol.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Weather is fickle.

I am off for 8 weeks, so can afford the odd late night.

After weeks of good weather, I planned som astrophotography of the "blood moon"....total cloud cover
Then this weekend the Perseids peaked, and we have not had a clear night
ossie

Post by ossie »

Thats a massive off topic.

The weather for Northern France , rain tomorrow I'm afraid. Cool temperatures from now on, the heat has gone but at least he can his tent pegs in the ground.
Last edited by ossie on 15 Aug 2018, 9:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I took the topic to be: I transported my bike recently and whilst it ended up OK it could have gone bad.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

whoof wrote:I took the topic to be: I transported my bike recently and whilst it ended up OK it could have gone bad.

Not from theft but from non arrival!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Apologies..i thought it hadn't made the plane or destination. I'm not sure I've ever read about a checked in bicycle in a bike box / bag getting stolen and if so I doubt a lock would save it.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I had a 3, 1/2 hour delay on a flight back from Inverness to Bristol recently. It was due to a technical issue with a leaking test point on a fuel line. The young lady next to me on the flight was eagerly checking her phone and the times. She told me to complete an online claim for the delay using the Sleasyjet web site. I was just grateful that the delay wasn't longer. So after arriving home I found the claim form on the website, completed it and was pleasantly surprised to receive 250 euros as compensation. So me and the wife received £444 in total for the delay on a flight which only cost us £50. Result. :D
Planning a weekend away to recover :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D