Query about taking a bicycle to India

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Eman Resu

Query about taking a bicycle to India

Post by Eman Resu »

This query is not about actually transporting a bicycle to India for a tour. It is more about how Indian customs officials record (or not) the temporary importation of a bicycle. Do they stamp your passport to ensure that said bicycle is taken back to the home country? I ask this question as I am planning to leave the bicycle I'm taking over for a winter tour this December with a close friend in Bengaluru so that I can use it for planned annual tours (saves the hassle of taking a bike over each time).

Best to PM given the esoteric nature of the query. Thanks.

Dennis
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
simonhill

Re: Query about taking a bicycle to India

Post by simonhill »

Maybe others are interested so I'll post.

I have taken a bicycle to India 4 times, 3 by air, one overland from Nepal. I was never required to register my bike. Admittedly the last time was 2006 and import duties were much higher then and people did sell stuff, eg cameras, that they took in.

A friend has been much more recently and never mentioned it. Furthermore it has never been mentioned on the Lonely Planet forum.

Fortunately most Asian Custom's Officers don't know the value of a 'western' bike. I dread to think what will happen if they do. At the moment we are often seen as rather strange, possibly poor or eccentric travellers. If they knew my bike cost more than their motorbike, things may be different.
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

Thanks, Simon, for the re-assuring information. I'm taking over a beaten up but robust steel mtb tourer so in the event it's inspected the customs people maybe will bracket me as 'a strange, poor and old traveller' :roll:
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

I've just returned from 6 weeks in the Indian Himalaya with my Touring Bike.

Flew Auckland - Singapore - Delhi.....same route on the return.

No problems what so ever entering the country with my bicycle or leaving with it.
The only questions are asked at check in when they want to know "whats in the box" and if you've followed the correct procedure for boxing up the bike before flying.

Have a great trip!
nickodemia

Post by nickodemia »

Last February we flew to India with our tandem, it was in two separate bike bags. We didn’t have to register it anywhere.
Eman Resu

Post by Eman Resu »

And many thanks to nickodemia and JackRabbitSlims for their re-assuring accounts!