Bike damaged by Eurostar transit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Rebecca24

Bike damaged by Eurostar transit

Post by Rebecca24 »

Hi I recently sent my bike on the Eurostar luggage despatch service from Amsterdam to London (thalys service Amsterdam to Brussels - Eurostar service Brussles to London). When I picked it up in London the handlebars had been crushed/bent and the right break lever broken. I've filled in the Eurodespatch compensation form and have been told that the Eurostar will be in touch. Does anyone have any experience of how long this takes and in what form the compensation is provided (e.g. do you need to provide repair receipts, do they have set values for different parts of the bike, will they replace the whole bike)? Any help would be much appreciated - I'm currently stranded without my usual means of transport and am keen to get back on the road as soon as possible!
nigelnightmare

Re: Bike damaged by Eurostar transit

Post by nigelnightmare »

Best of luck, be prepared to wait a long time and jump through their hoops whilst bending over backwards kissing your buttock.

Mine was damaged years ago on British rail and it took over a year coupled with legal assistance to get a settlement.

Get a quote for the cost of repairs and keep all receipts for your expenses (travel, food, time off work etc).
If you don't hear from them in a week, get on to them to find out what's happening, inform them that it is your only form of transport and start seeking legal advice.
In fact seek legal advice NOW!
simonhill

Re: Bike damaged by Eurostar transit

Post by simonhill »

If you want/need the bike, I would take it to a decent bikeshop. They can check over the bike and make sure there is no more damage. If it is only the handlebars and a brake lever, then I would get it fixed so you can use the bike.

You will then be able to ride your bike and also have a proper bill to submit to Eurostar.